• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Do commutators use setup moves?

MCrazy

I know about a few commutators but I need to do setup moves to solve the cube. They make my time go down drastically so my question is: Are there commutators for every 3-cycle or do i have to know all the setup moves from memory.

adimare

WCA
2011MARE02
Some 3-cycles require setup moves and there's no way to avoid them. They shouldn't drastically affect your times tho, if you're using good setups and commutators it should only cost around 2-4 extra moves per comm.

Any particular cycles you're having trouble with?

MCrazy

Thanks for the answers! I guess i'll just have to do a couple hundred solves and work on my muscle memory.
Some 3-cycles require setup moves and there's no way to avoid them. They shouldn't drastically affect your times tho, if you're using good setups and commutators it should only cost around 2-4 extra moves per comm.

Any particular cycles you're having trouble with?
Not really. My problem is with coming up with setup moves on the spot. Also im a beginer to using comms so are there comms that i should learn firstthat will save some Time?

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Commutators are a complex concept, for 3BLD we only use 3-cycle commutators, and the simplest ones do not use setup moves. But the complicated ones ,and the fingertricky ones (the ones that use R,U,D) generally always have a setup move.