Decrease minimum character count for search words

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by TheSilverBeluga, Apr 27, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Currently, whenever you search the forum, any word three characters or less is ignored. I can see why this was implemented, but it does get in the way quite often. Yesterday, I was trying to find a tutorial for solving the 4x4 using the Yau method, but since "Yau" is only three letters, it was ignored. Perhaps we could decrease the minimum character count for searches to two letters?

Tanish likes this.
  2. gyroninja

gyroninja Member

Nov 19, 2015
    WCA:
    2015BOLA02
    Also zz is ignored so it makes out harder to find some specific things.

3. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    I think a better fix would be to just eliminate certain words from interfering, like "the," "and," "a," "an," etc. For example, if someone searches for "tutorial on how to solve a 4x4 with the Yau method," the search algorithm will look for any threads with some combination of at least a few of the words, "tutorial," "solve," "4x4," "Yau," and "method."

4. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    I haven't tried this, but - could wildcard use solve this, eg. search for Yau*
    It gets round some search problems on other forums.

5. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    Working on this now and will update back here once I've resolved it.

6. Miro

Miro Member

Dec 29, 2015
    You can try search on google like this: yau site:.speedsolving.com

7. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    I've updated the search with the Google CSE like the old forum had. Please use it and let me know if you have any issues. You use it the same way as before via the Search box on the navigation bar.

wir3sandfir3s and AlphaSheep like this.