• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] DaYan PanShi 3x3x3

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Total voters

renchi11

This thread is for reviews of the DaYan PanShi 3x3x3. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle.

When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:

• Where the puzzle was purchased:
  • When the puzzle was purchased:
  • Thoughts on the puzzle:
What are your thoughts of this puzzle? Please vote one of the options above - but please only vote if you own and have used this puzzle extensively!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some first impressions by crazybadcuber

Last edited by a moderator:

bobthebuilder

Looks good overall, but was just taken back a bit by the corner cutting---> popping which did not occur in the Dayan 5 Zhanchi.

bobthebuilder

Well, our Dayan 5 Zhanchi did NOT pop. Also it did NOT explode :)
On the contrary, it was super quality, turns smoothly, cuts corners beautifully....
You must have abused it :) haha.

And there again, this thread is for Dayan 6 Panshi..... let's not go off-thread, yeah ?

I don't think it NEEDS to be tighter per se, I think it is like with the wittwo v2; you need to get used to the cube again because it feels different.

Zeotor

Like I said, I honestly think the cube needs to be tighter. He just didn't give it time to break in.

His update video is up now. In it, he gives his take on how different tensions would affect the popping and the corner cutting. He also explains why he didn't work with the cube a lot before putting up the first impressions video.

[video=youtube_share;XtJkqAxYFp4]http://youtu.be/XtJkqAxYFp4[/video]

bobthebuilder

Thanks bro.

IN summary, if one is really "worried" about the corner cutting becoming popping, stick with the Dayan 5 Zhanchi.

But Dayan 6 Panshi in itself is a fast cube, super quality...... & how often you really cut corners to such a degree, thus no need "worry" about the popping ....

Really up to one's individual preference. Good cube overall !

Trident

Where the puzzle was purchased: eBay UK
When the puzzle was purchased: March 2013

Thoughts on the puzzle:

I'll write this in comparison with the Zhanchi as I'm sure many of those looking to buy the Panshi already own a Zhanchi and will want to know how the two compare.

Out of the box, the Panshi feels very different from the Zhanchi. It's more clicky and slightly less smooth to turn; that said, the faces are very sensitive and they tend to slide out of place too easily, which sometimes results in lock-ups. It's difficult to describe (I'll try and upload a pic), but it tends to get distorted easily such that each face is slightly misaligned, and as some reviews on YouTube have suggested, this gives it a unique lock-up characteristic (locks up on tiny errors yet cuts smoothly at nearly 45 degrees). The Panshi's also noisier and has a very plastic-like sound.

Speed is good, though it's certainly not as fast as the Zhanchi. When tensioned and lubed it's faster than a Guhong but there seems to be a lot friction when turning which makes it a tad slower than the Zhanchi. This makes it more controllable but if you're looking for a speedier cube the Panshi isn't for you.

Corner cutting is actually better than the Zhanchi, and so far it hasn't popped on me once despite my somewhat aggressive algorithm execution. It manages just a tad under 45 degrees with ease, as well as line-to-line reverse cutting. But as I've said, it does have an issue with small offsets and locks up if you don't align it correctly.

Plastic is of a nice quality, stickers are good (stock Dayan ones), and the inside of the corner pieces is even more rounded than before such that the four holes surrounding each centre piece are larger than those on the Zhanchi.

General feel: clicky, sensitive, firm, rough.

I remember reading koreancuber's review of the Zhanchi a while back and he gave the following scores based on all the important criteria:

Smoothness : 8.8/10
Speed : 9.9/10
Corner cutting : 9.7/10
Stability (popping frequency) : 9.9/10
Reliability (how crazy you can turn without lock-up or pops) : 8.4/10
Lockup resistance : 7.1/10
Quality (of plastic, core, etc) : 9.4/10
Quietness : 8.1/10

For the Panshi, I'd give the following ratings:

Smoothness: 7/10
Speed: 9/10
Corner cutting: 9.9/10
Stability (popping frequency) : 9.9/10
Reliability: 8/10
Lockup resistance: 6/10
Quality of plastic: 9.5/10
Quietness: 6/10

Hope this helps!

CarlBrannen

WCA
2013BRAN01
Where the puzzle was purchased: I got the DIY black from Puzzle Addictions.
When the puzzle was purchased: Preordered Feb 20, shipped March 20.
Thoughts on the puzzle:

The thing that makes this cube different from most is that the inner core is held together under tension. This makes it more difficult to assemble than most 3x3s; you have to be careful getting the first few cubies into place. I'm not sure if I like this design idea.

I've got slow fingers. I don't like it because of a blocky /locky feel to it. It doesn't actually lock, it's just that at certain angles it becomes noticeably more difficult to turn. This decreases somewhat with time. I've heard someone say that they solved it dry 1000 times before lubricating it. I think that's probably a good idea. My main cube is a 55mm Zhanchi and is smooth as butter. To get it that way I took it apart and thoroughly sanded it.

It's a 57mm and I prefer a 55 so I haven't treated this as a potential "main" cube. So instead of painting it I've left it in standard colors.

I bought two. The first one I assembled seemed a little too tight but when I loosened the screws enough to make it easy to turn it popped too easily. So before assembling the other I shortened the springs by about 20%. This means that for the same ease of turning, there's less total play available in the screws and so popping is more difficult.

My fast fingered friends who've tried both cubes seem to like the one with shortened springs but there are so many variables when adjusting a cube that it's hard to say.

It seems to me that I end up twisting a corner more often than I should, given the tension settings. This isn't a pop but it's still a bad thing for competition.

Last edited:

MarcelP

WCA
2012POOT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: I got a white one from Zcube.cn. Shipped on the day they had it. I had it 8 days later. Second cube order from PuzzleAddictions
When the puzzle was purchased: Preordered Feb 1st
Thoughts on the puzzle:

I super glued the corner stalks, removed the torpedoes. It's super fast, and super loud. It's very forgiving in sloppy turning (like I do). It does not overshoot. The plastic feels different from Zhanchi. I like it a lot. I have 15+ Zhanchi's and still I used my Panshi on my last WCA comp.

Last edited:

gilad12

[Video] My first "express review" - The Panshi

Hello everyone,
I own a Youtube channel and i'm uploading there cube videos recently.

There are many video reviews about the Dayan Panshi - i decided to focus on uploading
"express reviews" on my channel - short and easy to understand videos.

So, enjoy and let me know what you think bout it.

by the way, right after i bought it - the price dropped down by 50% from where i bought it..
Just 12$ now .. i placed a link in the description..

MisterChris

YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: Black assembled from wallbuys.com
When the puzzle was purchased: Early march (First batch)
Thoughts on the puzzle:
Out of the box, it was pretty tight and locky, it wasn't lubed as well. After tensioning and lubing it, it turned out to be quite a nice cube. I've tensioned it really loose, so that it doesn't lock up anymore, but it pops if I force corner cutting too much :) I like this cube as much as my Zhanchis, maybe even a bit more, but out of the box, it feels terrible :D

piyushp761

WCA
2013PASS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
[Video] DaYan PanShi Review and Comparison

DaYan Panshi Unboxing + Review

Description-
I got this cube and it was very bad out of the box, then i removed the torpedoes, it became better. I lubricated it in suck a way that it became almost too gummy. Broke it in with atleast 2000 solves and now it is my new main.
Post your thoughts about it.

1LastSolve

YouTube
Visit Channel
Where the puzzle was purchased: SpeedCubeShop
When the puzzle was purchased: 1st Batch
Thoughts on the puzzle: The PanShi is HORRID. Why?

1. VERY FRAGILE CORNERS
2. Pops like CRAZY
3. Flimsy.

DaYan rushed this one, I don't know WHAT they were thinking.
People, DO NOT BUY THIS CUBE! The ZhanChi is FAR BETTER.
The PanShi is the worst DaYan Cube EVER. I'd even prefer the TaiYan over it.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Panshi is very sensitive to tension/lube and needs careful assembly, as well as being fragile during assembly/disassembly. It can be a good cube though. I prefer my Panshi to my Guhong.

1LastSolve

YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't own a Panshi and never intend to. I just found the poll results very interesting (although there are not very many votes) but it's pretty equal for every choice.
And that is exactly why you shouldn't get it. I would only get a cube if the # of people who rated it Above is far higher than Below. I bet half of the people who rated it just watched CBC's Video saying it's good, and said yes depending on that. The PanShi is VERY BAD. I sometimes find myself getting faster times on my Modded Rubik's Brand.

Username

WCA
2013JOKI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And that is exactly why you shouldn't get it. I would only get a cube if the # of people who rated it Above is far higher than Below. I bet half of the people who rated it just watched CBC's Video saying it's good, and said yes depending on that. The PanShi is VERY BAD. I sometimes find myself getting faster times on my Modded Rubik's Brand.

The panshi is not very bad... It can be a good cube if it's set up properly, although it doesn't live up to the hype CBC made. Zhanchi, Fangshi and WeiLong are better options