• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Dayan 2x2 spring mod - much faster!

RhysC

WCA
2014CAMP02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Today I was bored and wanted to try something.
If you take the springs of a MoYu HuaLong and put them inside your DaYan 2x2, it produces some interesting results.

Materials:
*MoYu HuaLong
*Dayan 2x2
*Screwdriver
*Wire cutters

Method:
Take both the cubes apart to the springs using a regular Phillips head screwdriver. Cut the MoYu springs by just about one "rung" of the spring using wire cutters. Use those springs with the screws and washers of the DaYan cube and put it back together. An idiot could do it :p

Results:
I have an unlisted video here of the results. You will be able to see the massive difference in speed from a regular stock DaYan 2x2, which in my opinion was quite slow.

Pros:
  • Uber fast!
  • You can keep it on tighter tensions so it doesn't pop or corner twist, and it doesn't affect the performance at all
  • Corner cutting remains as good as ever
Cons:
  • The cube gets quite flimsy; if you have a HuaLong it's the same kind of deal. This causes lock-ups to happen a little bit more frequently.
  • The cube is so fast, it might be uncontrollable

Things to note:
  • I haven't lubed anything since I did the mod.
  • My tensions are quite tight

Overall, this mod is an interesting one. It won't suit everyone, but in my opinion, it has really improved the cube. If you decide to do it, or have done a different spring mod in your Dayan 2x2, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

peedoo72

BTW Credits go to Ryan Chu for making this. I have physical evidence that he and I came up with this mod. Also Aolong springs work better

jaredye

For some reason my Aolong springs in the Dayan made it pop every 3 turns I did.
Why is this?
The idea of this mod is to use a shorter spring so you can put the screws tighter, which will prevent popping. You should first try putting the screws tighter. If it doesn't work maybe consider using even shorter springs, or cut your current spring.

CubeDatCube

WCA
2016MARS01
The idea of this mod is to use a shorter spring so you can put the screws tighter, which will prevent popping. You should first try putting the screws tighter. If it doesn't work maybe consider using even shorter springs, or cut your current spring.

Thanks I used shorter springs and it worked much better.