• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Cubing Tattoo Ideas

TyeDye

WCA
2017WIEC02
Hey guys. I wanted to ask all of you a favor. I have been wanting to get a speedcubing tattoo for a few years now, because of how long I've been cubing and how much I love it. I finally have the money to get it and I know where I am going to get it (my lower right calf, probably close to my ankle), however, I do not have an idea of exactly what to get.

So, I wanted to get some help from you guys, if you'd like to participate. I would like to open this up to anyone who has a puzzle that they absolutely love (pictures please :)). Even if you don't want me to use it as a tattoo consideration, I love to see people's thoughts on their favorite puzzles and stories behind them and such.

For me, I would like to get a 3x3. Now, I don't know how I want it (black, stickerless, scrambled, solved, pattern, etc.) I just know that 3x3 really encompasses everything that I love about cubing. I've been solving for 8 years now and while I love almost every shape mod and alternate-style puzzle out there, nothing quite rings a bell like the 3x3. On that note, I may even be open to getting an algorithm, if it's not super long or just a general scramble or something. But, most likely, I will get a 3x3 of some sort.

So, I would like to hear all of your guy's ideas and see your pictures and hear your stories. And, to make it interesting, if by chance I choose the design of someone who posted on here, I will give that person a $50 gift card to Thecubicle.us (more as a thank you than a contest really). Just keep in mind, if you post it on here, there is a chance that I might use it.

You may ask why I bring this up to you all and my reason is that, while I love art and I have multiple tattoos already, I am horrible at design. I know what I want but I don't really know exactly until I can see a picture or a drawing of it. So, when I decided that I wanted a Rubik's Cube tattoo, my first option was to go to Google Images and search cubes. Now, if you have ever done this, you'll know that the cubes on there are THE most generic cube pictures that you can find. When I got my tattoo of the Doctor Who TARDIS, I googled 'Tardis' and the exact picture that I wanted was like, the third one down. The speedcubing community is small in comparison with many other hobbies, which means that the only people that know the difference between a picture of a Rubik's brand cube and a Valk 3 M, for example, is this community right here. This is why I ask this favor of you.

And, of course, once I get my tattoo, I will post it on here, just in case any of you guys wanted to see how it turned out. So, if you want, send me your pictures of your favorite cubes, your mains, your favorite patterns or scrambles, anything that you want really. I'm open to all of it. Thank you all!:)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I kind of want to get a couple more cubes now, so I can exchange pieces and take a picture of an unsolvable cube.

More seriously, what about a pair of hands, each one slightly cupped, one holding a solved cube, the other holding a scrambled cube?

Edit: what about a layout like this with a cube between the hands, all visible pieces on the bottom half of the cube are solved, all visible pieces on the top half of the cube are not solved. I could take a picture later of what I mean by what I'm saying about the state of the cube, if it's not clear.

Last edited:

dnguyen2204

Make the scrambled cube some sort of important scramble, like your first sub-20 PB or something.

Also, if the artist is skilled enough, make the cubes your main.

TyeDye

WCA
2017WIEC02
I kind of want to get a couple more cubes now, so I can exchange pieces and take a picture of an unsolvable cube.

More seriously, what about a pair of hands, each one slightly cupped, one holding a solved cube, the other holding a scrambled cube?

Edit: what about a layout like this with a cube between the hands, all visible pieces on the bottom half of the cube are solved, all visible pieces on the top half of the cube are not solved. I could take a picture later of what I mean by what I'm saying about the state of the cube, if it's not clear.

I'm not super into the hands idea, though the second one between the hands does look really cool. I might keep that in mind for something later.

I was thinking more of just the puzzle itself, possibly with words like an algorithm or something relevant and important enough, to wrap around or below or such.

I'm not entirely sure if I want a half solved cube either. The only things that I had in mind were entirely solved, entirely scrambled, pattern, or maybe a PLL, if it's a good one. (No V or G perms, lol)

TyeDye

WCA
2017WIEC02
Make the scrambled cube some sort of important scramble, like your first sub-20 PB or something.

Also, if the artist is skilled enough, make the cubes your main.

I don't have any super important scrambles. Honestly, if I choose to do a scramble, unless someone gives me one that I like, I'll probably just generate one that I think looks good and write it down so I have it to redo.

And the problem with making the cube specifically my own main is that my main is gonna change. I'm gonna have a new cube in a month or two, you know. I wanted to go more with the aesthetic look of any speedcube. Sort of how speedcubes are rounder and more smoothed out than beginner cubes. How it's really designed to fit an advanced cubers grip and stuff.

That's most of the reason that I wanted to reach out on here instead of just picking a generic picture off the internet. If I go to my tattoo artist and hand him my cube and say "Here, I want this", he's gonna draw it all wrong, because he's not a cuber, he doesn't see the subtleties of a speedcube. If I give him a picture that he can copy, however, he'll get it right.

Duncan Bannon

Could you write your favorite alg/ R U R' U M E / or just a cool scramble. Like on thecubicle's zz shirt you could write "R U L the world"