• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Hi again.

I am heavily considering organizing a comp in North Colorado Springs. It will be either:

A. A limited comp with only 5 events at USAFA from 10:45-6:30?

B. A full comp (8-6:30) with many events.

This would be on a time frame from Late October to mid December, maybe around Thanksgiving.

Is anyone interested?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi again.

I am heavily considering organizing a comp in North Colorado Springs. It will be either:

A. A limited comp with only 5 events at USAFA from 10:45-6:30?

B. A full comp (8-6:30) with many events.

This would be on a time frame from Late October to mid December, maybe around Thanksgiving.

Is anyone interested?
I am interested. Out of the options that you gave I think that option B would be better only because it can be a bit harder to get civilians into the USAFA base, because they will need a special pass and what not to get on base. I know that because I looked at a venue on base myself last year, and that is what I was told. I do not know how hard it is but it is more work then just going with a off-base venue.
If you are interested then I would recommend that you check with the venues first, regarding availability and what not, but also check with the delegates and see when they are available.

I am also planning on organizing competition similar to the one I did last last year and at the same venue, and around the same time frame, but I need to check with the Delegates first and see what they can do, or what else is going on then. However if you and a few others are going to organize some competitions later this year, then I am completely fine waiting until the beginning of next year to organize one, and just help out at any competition that happen later this year.

I know also that @Joel2274 is organizing the comp for August and I also heard that there are a few other individuals that are interested in organizing a competition later this year, but I do not know how serious they are, or if it will transpire at all.

Edit - Last two things I forgot are (1) Do you know what events you are hoping to have at your competition? and (2) I like you signature a lot:D

Last edited:

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I am interested. Out of the options that you gave I think that option B would be better only because it can be a bit harder to get civilians into the USAFA base, because they will need a special pass and what not to get on base. I know that because I looked at a venue on base myself last year, and that is what I was told. I do not know how hard it is but it is more work then just going with a off-base venue.
If you are interested then I would recommend that you check with the venues first, regarding availability and what not, but also check with the delegates and see when they are available.

I am also planning on organizing competition similar to the one I did last last year and at the same venue, and around the same time frame, but I need to check with the Delegates first and see what they can do, or what else is going on then. However if you and a few others are going to organize some competitions later this year, then I am completely fine waiting until the beginning of next year to organize one, and just help out at any competition that happen later this year.

I know also that @Joel2274 is organizing the comp for August and I also heard that there are a few other individuals that are interested in organizing a competition later this year, but I do not know how serious they are, or if it will transpire at all.

Edit - Last two things I forgot are (1) Do you know what events you are hoping to have at your competition? and (2) I like you signature a lot:D

After considering and pondering, the weekend after nationals will work the best for me, so I’m shooting for that now. 1 Body will be the 3rd week of August. After August will be hard, and I might have to wait till Summer 2019 to do a comp.

I’m planning on hosting 3-5, OH, Pyra, Skewb, Mega, Squan and Clock. 6 will be tentative. (Name Idea: Get It Over With, because you can get qualifying over with)

Thanks for liking the sig, haha.

E: Can you give me a good list of venues in the Springs area? Thank you.

E2: If these comps actually do look like they are going to pull off then I’ll wait till summer 2019.

Last edited:

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
After considering and pondering, the weekend after nationals will work the best for me, so I’m shooting for that now. 1 Body will be the 3rd week of August. After August will be hard, and I might have to wait till Summer 2019 to do a comp.

I’m planning on hosting 3-5, OH, Pyra, Skewb, Mega, Squan and Clock. 6 will be tentative. (Name Idea: Get It Over With, because you can get qualifying over with)

Thanks for liking the sig, haha.

E: Can you give me a good list of venues in the Springs area? Thank you.

E2: If these comps actually do look like they are going to pull off then I’ll wait till summer 2019.
I think that what you should do first is talk to the delegates and see what other competitions are being planned for later this year and if they are even going to happen. I do not have a Facebook account, but if you do you can also check out "Mile High Speedcubing" and see if there is any info there. I will also be emailing one of the delegates myself in the next few days, to see what is going to happen this fall.

If the weekend after US Nationals is the only time that you have available then I do not know if the WCA will allow your competition and @Joel2274 competition to happen within a few weeks apart. I know that for the most part competitions need to be 18 or more days apart or more the 100km away if they are in the same state, (do not quote me on the exact distance and days apart, since I am not positive on that at the moment), but you can find that info on the WCA website.

For venues, I will send you some of the ones that I found that might work, but as far a pricing goes the venue that I used was the cheapest, and the rest were more pricey. Also, the venues that I will send you and just venues in general tend to be booked out several months in advance, so there might not be any availability anyway, and that is why something that you go to such as your school might work out better.
I do not know what school you go to, but if you have one that would like to have a competition there then that might make a lot of sense for you, and something that I would highly recommended you check on if you like that idea and if it would work.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Alright, I just sent an email to AJ about dates and am talking to my school teachers and business services about quotes and such as we speak, I will continue talks tomorrow as I as unable to get a quote as I had to go.
Sound good, and I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
Sound good, and I look forward to hearing how it all goes for you.

Yup! The first teacher I went to actually taught Andy Denney in elementary , so she knows the cubing community well, she also leads my school cube club. She’s been very supportive and is willing to help!

With this also being said, I’m now aiming for the second weekend of December as there are (I think) going to be no comps at that time.

Edit: For context she is now a Gifted teacher.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Yup! The first teacher I went to actually taught Andy Denney in elementary , so she knows the cubing community well, she also leads my school cube club. She’s been very supportive and is willing to help!
Well, that is really nice of her and pretty cool that she knew Andy. What a small world. : ) I hope that it all works out for you.

With this also being said, I’m now aiming for the second weekend of December as there are (I think) going to be no comps at that time.
I think that would work out great, and I do not know of anything else going on then. If you need any help or what not with any of that please let me know and I will help to the best of my ability. I look forward to the comp already.

Edit: For context she is now a Gifted teacher.
Thanks for the clarification.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Quick questions: Does anyone have the ability to get in touch with Daniel Hayes (one of the Colorado WCA delegates) with any other means other then email? I do not want to come off as bothering him (or anyone for that matter), but I sent him an email last week in regards to a competition that I would really like to host, but I have not heard anything back from him yet. I know that he is one of the moderators on the "Mile High Spedcubing" Facebook group, so I think that would be a start to getting in touch, but I do not have a Facebook account, so I am unable to see in anyway if this option would work, hence why I am asking here.

If no one gets around to it or does not want to, I completely understand and there is no need to do it, but I thought that I would check here first before I think about another option to getting in touch with him. I also know that he is most likely pretty busy with everything else that he has going on, but I have had trouble/he's had trouble with getting my emails in the past, so if there is anyway to just let him know about the email that I sent him, then I would be very much appreciated of that. Thank you very much in advance for any and all help.

cubeshepherd

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Any comp updates?

@cubeshepherd have you gotten a response yet? If not, try the Mile High Speedcubing group on FB, I think someone might get out to him from there.
I have not yet heard anything from the delegate (Daniel Hayes) since I sent him an email several weeks back, but I just sent AJ Blair an email 5 minutes ago seeing if he could message Mr. Hayes on FB letting him know that I have been trying to get a hold of him. I do not know if that will work since I have had not so good luck with getting in touch with AJ in the past, but it is my only hope for now, unless I were to contact the WCA directly, but I do not want to do that and I will first see if contacting AJ works, before I do that.

And the reason I am asking AJ is because I was talking to him at the last comp mentioning that I have not heard anything from Mr. Hayes to hopefully he sees my email and remembers that. I also do not have a FB account so that is the other reason that I am asking around seeing if anyone else and do the FB massages.

Also, If you did not see what Joel posted, he said that he is hoping to post his competition soon on the WCA website, providing that the final things come together for hos competition. He said this in the 1 Body Cubing thread that he created.

weatherman223

WCA
2017MILL04
I have not yet heard anything from the delegate (Daniel Hayes) since I sent him an email several weeks back, but I just sent AJ Blair an email 5 minutes ago seeing if he could message Mr. Hayes on FB letting him know that I have been trying to get a hold of him. I do not know if that will work since I have had not so good luck with getting in touch with AJ in the past, but it is my only hope for now, unless I were to contact the WCA directly, but I do not want to do that and I will first see if contacting AJ works, before I do that.

And the reason I am asking AJ is because I was talking to him at the last comp mentioning that I have not heard anything from Mr. Hayes to hopefully he sees my email and remembers that. I also do not have a FB account so that is the other reason that I am asking around seeing if anyone else and do the FB massages.

Also, If you did not see what Joel posted, he said that he is hoping to post his competition soon on the WCA website, providing that the final things come together for hos competition. He said this in the 1 Body Cubing thread that he created.

Excited. Hoping it’s on a Sunday because according to athletic bylaws you can’t have practices on Sundays.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey, any updates?
Yes and No. Here is what I mean and know.
1. @Joel2274 is planning on organizing a competition next month on the 18th or so, and from what I was told recently by AJ Blair that comp is still going to happen, and it should be posted on the WCA website soon.
2. In the same message that AJ sent me, he also mentioned that he (and someone) are organizing a competition for late October. I sent him a response last week asking about location, events, dates etc. I have not heard anything back and I do not think I will for a while, so I do not have any more info on that.
3. I was told by AJ that sense he is organizing the October comp, he will not be able to delegate the competition that I was really, really hoping to host, and since I have still not heard anything from Daniel Hayes in over a month, I do not think that I will be able to have the November competition:( Unless for some strange reason I hear back from Daniel and the venue is still available, but as the days go on the chance of that happening is less likely.
4. This goes off of 3, but if I have the chance to organize a small comp soon (with only like a 20-50 competitor limit, then I would really like to host a PBQ comp, because (a) I would not need a large venue with a lot of chairs and tables, (b) i would not have to worry about renting timers for the comp, (c) pretty much any venue that had a few tables and chairs would work and the venue does not have to be very big, and (d) I would really like to be able to compete in 3x3 FMC, and all the BLD events, as well as since I do not see anyone else thinking about hosting those events soon (especially FMC) then I thought that, that would be nice to host.
5. From what @weatherman223 told me, Jordan (the organizer of the Colorado Qualifier 2018) is planning on hosting a smaller comp in January and then a 2nd Colorado Qualifier in May (or sometime around there.)

This is all I know at the moment, but if I find something else out soon then I will be sure to post it here.

Last edited: