Cubing Capitals?

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by soldii3runit, Apr 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. soldii3runit

soldii3runit Member

Apr 5, 2012
    YouTube:
    ali3nhunterdo
    I never been to a competition before but I do notice different people's locations next to their fforum name to be in similar places. Me living in Florida and looking at the top ten ranking list for Florida, I notice my time to be better than 1 or 2 of them; giving me the obvious conclusion that not many competitive cubers live around me. I am just wondering, what are known as the cubing capitals of the world? Fact or opinions, doesn't matter.

2. ottozing

ottozing Platinum Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    WCA:
    2012MCNE01
    YouTube:
    ottozing
    in australia most cubers are in melbourne as far as i know.

3. soldii3runit

soldii3runit Member

Apr 5, 2012
    YouTube:
    ali3nhunterdo
    Felik lives there right? I see alot of melbourne people

Like MIT area right?

4. Skullush

Skullush Member

Mhm. New York City area, too.

5. JonnyWhoopes

JonnyWhoopes Premium Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    WCA:
    2011GRAY02
    YouTube:
    JonnyWhoopes
    It frustrates me how competitive the northeast is. It means I'll never win a competition unless it's in BLD.

6. soldii3runit

soldii3runit Member

Apr 5, 2012
    YouTube:
    ali3nhunterdo
    I visit Brooklyn alot, maybe I'll find someone there-_-

7. Hershey

Hershey Member

Apr 23, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    WCA:
    2010SHRI02
  8. TheMachanga

TheMachanga Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Chicago, Illinois
    WCA:
    2010LECH01
    YouTube:
    TheMachanga
    Judging from this map: http://www.cubingusa.com/cubers.php

I would say the Northeast US is America's cubing capitol. On the front page of CubingUSA, there's a list of upcoming competitions, and most of the time it seems like half of them are in Connecticut, NY, Rhode Island, New Jersey, and Massachusetts.

I'm not sure about other places, but the San Francisco general area seems to be a great place for a cuber too because of all the Berkley and Stanford competitions.

Since the coming of Feliks, Melbourne has definitely become a cubing hotspot, and they now have the Melbourne winter's and summer comps, plus more.

I don't really know much about Europe so I can't say anything.

9. MirzaCubing

MirzaCubing Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2011MIRZ01
    YouTube:
    MirzaCubing
    Northeast US is extremely competitive. Even with 16 second averages you'll be lucky to get into round 2 (Btw, that's not always true but in competitions like MIT it's common)
    Pretty much each country in Asia has at least 10 sub-12 cubers so that's medium-ish competition
    Melbourne, Australia is packed with cubers
    I've noticed in Europe that the Netherlands, Germany, France, and UK have quite a good line up of cubers, plus people like Giovanni and Paolo from Italy.

10. Sahid Velji

Sahid Velji Member

Jul 5, 2009
    WCA:
    2008VELJ01
    YouTube:
    sv00013
    Exactly, and since the countries are small there, it is very easy to go to nearby competitions by car, such as Belgium to Germany.

11. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    It seems like there is no big cubing city in the Midwest. Chicago has no cubers and in general there seem to be few cubers from the Midwest.

12. I live in Melbourne and I think there are a lot of cubers here, there are some crazy fast cubers such as Felix Zemdegs....

13. tx789

tx789 Member

Sep 6, 2010
    New Zealand
    WCA:
    2010HUNT02
    YouTube:
    thetx789
    I think thee are a lot of cubr in Hamilton and Chch some in Wellignton

14. ottozing

ottozing Platinum Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    WCA:
    2012MCNE01
    YouTube:
    ottozing
    sometimes i want to move to melbourne just because of how pretty much all decently fast cubers live in or near melbourne. plus canberra is a hole :(

15. Where in Florida are you? (I am in Florida too)

16. Jaycee

Jaycee Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Crestwood, Illinois
    YouTube:
    Jayceeblaster
    sadface

17. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    Still doesn't mean there is a lot of midwest cubers. I probably live in the in the most populated cubing city in the Midwest and its got a whole 3 people in it. Me, Ryan, and Mike.

18. ThomasJE

ThomasJE Premium Member

Dec 31, 2011
    England
    YouTube:
    ThomasJECubing
    For the UK, it's probably the south (mainly around Guildford). Bristol is probably the 'second city'.

19. MaeLSTRoM

MaeLSTRoM Member

Jan 7, 2011
    UK
    WCA:
    2011WALL02
    YouTube:
    MLSTRMRVLTN
    Actually, I think there's more of us in the Bristol area then around Guildford. Guildford area has 4 iirc, and I think around bristol there's about 8?