• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] Cubicle WuQue M

How do you feel about the WuQue M?

• It's my new main.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • It's good, but not that good.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's about average.

• I don't like it.

• I prefer the original.

• Total voters

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
I ordered this cube the day it came out from the Cubicle. The first one I got ended up actually being defective, but they very quickly took care of that. Honestly, good customer service is the biggest thing that keeps me loyal to any company, and the Cubicle is always great with that.

Anyway, on to the cube...
It came in a plain white box, nothing extra. While I'm perfectly happy with that, it did kind'a stand out to me after getting elaborate boxes and little extras with every other recent cube.
(On a related note, I hope that "Cubicle Premium Box" actually becomes a thing soon. That looked awesome.)

First turns were astoundingly 'meh. It felt a bit locky, rough, grindy, sticky, and uneven, and wasn't that fun to use. After a couple hours of break-in it evened out quite a bit, but other than that it felt no better. I put in a few drops of Lubicle Silk, One, and DNM-37 (not all at once) and continued breaking it in and it improved markedly, but I still preferred my original WuQue.
It should be noted, of course, that my original WuQue did exactly the same thing -Seems like there's a certain sudden point while you break in a WuQue where beforehand it's okay and afterward it's great. After a few days I hit that point with the WuQue M, and it suddenly went from slightly rough and sticky to smooth and snappy.

As it is now, I'm surprised at how quickly I can turn this thing. I'm not sure that it does much for my times, but the way this thing snaps into place makes it so you can manipulate it almost like a 3x3, which is mind-blowing to me. The original WuQue is great, but the way this thing always seems to line up and respond the way I want it to just makes the stock feel sloppy.

Another thing I didn't expect is that, even though I find myself rather sensitive to this having developed a preference for light cubes after the Gans Air, I hardly even notice the added weight. Yes, I can tell the difference when I hold it side-by-side with the original, but it never feels heavy when I'm solving.

I will note that the middle layers are indeed stronger than the outer layers, which is good sometimes and bad others. It's mostly just a matter of preference.

All in all, I'm really impressed with this cube. It's absolutely my main.

ADDENDUM: Now two of my mains, the Air and the WuQue, and gone magnetic. I wonder how far this will go...

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The Cubicle WeiLong GTS M I ordered some time ago also came in a plain white box, though I too wish a Cubicle Premium Box is used in place of that soon. It would even put the original WeiLong GTS package to shame!

Was also curious: how many solves did you do before successfully breaking in your WuQues (both the original and the magnetic)? My mains for 3x3, OH, and 5x5 are already magnetic, so I've been excited for the magnetic 4x4 for some time, and was just curious how much time I may have to put into setting it up.

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
The Cubicle WeiLong GTS M I ordered some time ago also came in a plain white box, though I too wish a Cubicle Premium Box is used in place of that soon. It would even put the original WeiLong GTS package to shame!

Was also curious: how many solves did you do before successfully breaking in your WuQues (both the original and the magnetic)? My mains for 3x3, OH, and 5x5 are already magnetic, so I've been excited for the magnetic 4x4 for some time, and was just curious how much time I may have to put into setting it up.
I don't really count, but it took a few days of casual solving. I didn't really intensively do anything with it, just fiddled with it when I had time. Shouldn't take long in any event.