• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

CRC vs Jigaloo? Which one gives the best result and do any of them do anything bad?

ShengEn F2

Hi, I have just ordered some Lubix for my main cubes. But the other cubes I don't want to waste Lubix on it, because Lubix is quite expensive.

So im lost between getting CRC or Jigaloo.

Of course I definetly don't want it doing something bad to my cube, but if none of them do anything bad, which gives you the best result?

Thanks alot. :)

WCA
2011HAUP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't use CRC, but I do use Jigaloo.
Jigaloo works fine, and is in the department of "quite good" in my opinion, but, be warned, it does melt plastic. It just doesn't very fast and if you work it in generally nothing happens (assuming you didn't overspray or something).

Last edited:

Ltsurge

CRC doesn't melt plastic...btw lubix is supposed to be applied in small amounts (like 1/50 ml) and it lasts for a long time so you shouldn't run out too fast

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
They'll do bad things if you spray a profuse amount in the cube and let it sit there without working it in. So as long as you don't do that, you should be fine.

Personally, I use Jig-a-loo on the rare occasions that I actually lube something. I've never tried CRC before though, so I'm not going to bother telling you if Jig-a-loo is 'the best'.

CubeLTD

Premium Member
I use CRC. It doesn't melt any plastic, but I wouldn't advise you using it on any stickerless cube. I applied it on my stickerless guhong, and it made some part of it whitish.

MoRpHiiNe

YouTube
Visit Channel
I use CRC. It doesn't melt any plastic, but I wouldn't advise you using it on any stickerless cube. I applied it on my stickerless guhong, and it made some part of it whitish.

Are you sure this isn't just the worked in CRC? Like the CRC actually goes white after it's worked in, but you can easily just wipe it off.
I personally only have a stickerless and have been using CRC on it and it's fine :).

ShengEn F2

OK, thanks a bunch for all the replies! I decided to get CRC and I have it now. But it's not the heavy duty stuff they show on videos, it's called CRC 808 Silicone. Is this fine? Like it doesn't say 100% Silicone, people have been saying that if it's not 100% it will melt the plastic, it doesn't say how much silicone is in it. Is this allgood? I tested on a old cube and it works ALOT better.

ARyder

OK, thanks a bunch for all the replies! I decided to get CRC and I have it now. But it's not the heavy duty stuff they show on videos, it's called CRC 808 Silicone. Is this fine? Like it doesn't say 100% Silicone, people have been saying that if it's not 100% it will melt the plastic, it doesn't say how much silicone is in it. Is this allgood? I tested on a old cube and it works ALOT better.

Edit: Total rewrite to make it more brief.

I'd get Lubix or any equivalent 100% silicone product first but failing that I'd CRC 808 over CRC Heavy Duty Silicone or Jig-a-loo - but why?

Well they all use LPG (liquid petroleum gas: propane, butane ...) as spray propellant - so that's nothing to worry about! Even if any gas escaped it won't stick around to eat your cube.

Then CRC Heavy Duty Silicone says it is not safe with plastic - I know heaps of people use but I'm not going to be one of those.

CRC 808 is listed as safe with plastic and it even has food industry applicability so it isn't toxic, which is also good for cubers (even though we don't talk about it much).

And CRC 808 has 10-30% silicone versus Heavy Duty Silicone which has less than 10%.

AFAIC - so far CRC 808 is the winner.

But what about the ever popular Jig-a-loo ?

Can't even get it in Australia.

Has Methylene Chloride - used in many paint strippers and can be very aggressive against some plastics!

Has Perchloroethylene - dry cleaning fluid - this dissolves plastic pens, that's why your dry cleaner must first remove such items from your suit before they melt ! Do you really want perc. on your cube? Not me.
(But doesn't melt buttons so you've gotta know which plastics are at play here, some get eaten some survive!)

For environmental and health safety reasons, the State of California has banned the use of perchloroethylene and methylene chloride in multi-purpose lubricants such as Jig-A-Loo Dec 31, 2010 and the sale of remaining inventory will be banned effective Dec 31, 2013[

So it's getting banned or more like probably the brand will stick around but they'll change the formula to a "new improved" version.

Conclusion - for me it's Lubix/100% silicon > CRC 808 and I wouldn't use CRC Heavy Duty Silicone or Jig-a-loo at all.

I'm considering getting 100% silicone from other sources like shock oil, diff oil for RC models, I just need to be sure of which viscosity I want. ... Lots of hobby shops near me stock that stuff ...

Cheers.

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Old thread, but I'd like to add that while I liked SNAP, CRC and other lubricant sprays on the original Rubik's branded cubes and older DIYs, I've found that silicone shock oil works better on the newer generations of DIY cubes. I tried lubing my F-II with CRC once and it was terrible.

Lubix is basically high viscosity shock oil, though I've had good results with 20-30wt oil.

mmitchev

Banned
I think CRC works fine for all of my puzzles. I just lubricate it once with my puzzle dissassembled the first time i lubricate it then I just top the coat off every once in a while by just spraying it in. Although it does ruin my stickers overtime.

WCA
2010CANT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Jigaloo's plastic-melting can actually be good in some circumstances. For example, it can make your cube smoother. Also, at my last comp, right when megaminx started, 2 tiles came off my cube. I didn't have any glue with me (nobody else did either) so I used some jigaloo to fuse them to the cube. (It worked)