1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

Corners first or edges first?

Discussion in 'Blindsolving Discussion' started by Daniel Lin, May 16, 2016.

1. memo corners memo edges solve edges solve corners

47 vote(s)
    56.6%
  2. memo edges memo corners solve corners solve edges

22 vote(s)
    26.5%
  3. memo edges memo corners solve edges solve corners

8 vote(s)
    9.6%
  4. memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. So I heard Noah say that solving edges first(and memoing them last) is better because there are more edges that you can cram into your short term memory than corners.
    But a lot of insanely fast people (Maskow, Gianfranco, Ollie) do corners first. Which is better?
    I personally solve edges first

abunickabhi likes this.
  2. bobthegiraffemonkey

bobthegiraffemonkey Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    WCA:
    2009SHEE01
    YouTube:
    bobthegiraffemonkey
    I memo edges last and solve them first, but since I'm not great at audio I tend to do at least two pairs visually as well. I find visual memo is good, but only for very small amounts of information.

3. CyanSandwich

CyanSandwich Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Wellington, New Zealand
    WCA:
    2013NELS01
    YouTube:
    c/TomNelson1
    Gianfranco is actually corners-first/edges-first neutral. Check it out.

I've recently switched to edges first (not for mbld), because more short term memo. I definitely still find it hard to do
    12+ letters with audio.

Parity also seems better.

4. wow that is really cool
    How? I don't think its any different.

5. ottozing

ottozing Platinum Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    WCA:
    2012MCNE01
    YouTube:
    ottozing
    There's also Kaijun who I think does corners first. My best guess is that at a high level, 3BLD memo is so short term that which part of the solve you use audio for doesn't really matter since you're going to be memoing both parts of the solve around the same speed.

For Maskow's case, since he uses math symbols for his letter scheme, maybe using edges short(er) term wouldn't really work?

6. CyanSandwich

CyanSandwich Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Wellington, New Zealand
    WCA:
    2013NELS01
    YouTube:
    c/TomNelson1
    Personally, I use UF and UBL buffers. Most of my parity cases with edges last involve a slice move setup to an R-perm.
    Corners last is a setup to a Y-perm. That's just faster for me.

For M2 edges last, M2 y L2 (T-perm) L2 also seems worse than a Y perm. But I just got that off Zane's video.

abunickabhi likes this.
  7. porkynator

porkynator Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Belluno, Italy
    WCA:
    2011TRON02
    YouTube:
    PorkyDays
    Edges, corners, corners, edges.
    I memo everything audio.

8. TheCoolMinxer

TheCoolMinxer Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Bremen, Germany
    WCA:
    2014GERB01
    YouTube:
    HenriGerber
    Since I learned from Noah, I memo corners then edges, solve edges then solve corners. Works quite well for me because if I would execute corners first, I would definetely mess up my edges audio string lol

9. Chunjie Shan

Chunjie Shan Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Hefei, Anhui, China
    WCA:
    2013SHAN02
    I had tried "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges", but it's easy to cause DNFs…I think "memo corners memo edges solve corners solve edges" is a suitable method, and I can memo a cube in 8 seconds with this method.

abunickabhi likes this.
  10. Oh that's cool. I don't think many people do it this way though. Most people prefer to solve what they memo last first.

abunickabhi likes this.
  11. Chunjie Shan

Chunjie Shan Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Hefei, Anhui, China
    WCA:
    2013SHAN02
    Yeah,I agree with you.

abunickabhi likes this.
  12. Ollie

Ollie Member

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    WCA:
    2012FROS01
    YouTube:
    OliverFrostBLD
    For the record, I am not insanely fast at 3BLD :)

I have always struggled to do edges first and I have tried to switch on numerous occasions. I always fall down when there are complicated cycle breaks and/or lots of flipped edges. I don't think it makes a huge difference where you start to be honest, but I could be wrong. I'm getting too old for this sh*&.

13. mark49152

mark49152 Super Moderator Staff Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Why is that worse when you do edges first?

14. Ollie

Ollie Member

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    WCA:
    2012FROS01
    YouTube:
    OliverFrostBLD
    More pieces usually means more cycle breaks are possible, and (for me) working out cycle breaks takes a bit longer and makes me lose my flow. At least with corners, I know that the maximum is 10 targets in the worst possible case for cycle breaks, which is still only 5 letter pairs.

tl;dr - more potential to go wrong with flipped edges, cycle breaks and parity when doing edges quickly with audio at the end. of your memo.

15. JanW

JanW Member

Oct 20, 2015
    WCA:
    2018WANA01
    Slightly related question - does anyone flip flipped edges before solving the rest of them?

If I forget to execute something, it's usually a flipped edge. I've considered doing those first, immediately after putting on the blindfold. A single flipped edge can be flipped together with the buffer piece, so this would require one more look to check where the buffer piece is located.

16. Chunjie Shan

Chunjie Shan Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Hefei, Anhui, China
    WCA:
    2013SHAN02
    Hi, OF~. I'm a big fan. I think if you choose memo edges first,you may have to make story and so on. I had tried to memo corners with stories and read edges , and solve corners solve edges… It's very strange and it's easy to DNFs…

17. mark49152

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    Well yes, to be honest once I hit the second cycle break during edges I know it's unlikely to be a good solve anyway. Flipped edges and twisted corners are where I make most of my mistakes and I tend to screw up edges more as there are more positions to get mixed up. If I executed edges second I suspect I'd make more such mistakes, but I haven't tried it. Any tips for remembering flips and twists would be awesome.

18. I always flip as many edges as I can at the very beginning of execution. Like if two or four edges are flipped I just use an alg right after I finish memoing

If there are three flipped edges I just flip two of them at the beginning and flip the third one with the buffer after I solve all the edges

mark49152 likes this.
  19. mark49152

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    WCA:
    2015RIVE05
    YouTube:
    mark49152
    @Daniel Lin , I like that idea, thanks. If the buffer piece is in a convenient place I might also flip 1 or 3 edges first.

20. abunickabhi likes this.