• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Competitors Distance Travelled

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
http://www.cubingusa.com/bydist.html

I was bored tonight. anyway, this counts people's distanced travel by taking their competitions in order and doing the distance between those. This is done because we can't determine people's home, and you have no way of knowing if they've gone from one competition to the next directly.

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
About 7000 miles between California and NZ helps boost me up to 60 lol XD . Only two places behind Erik! I will beat him soon :p

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So it's apparently quite typical to average 1000 miles (Miles? Who uses miles instead of km these days?) per competition. Can we tell that to the people who whine that there's nothing in their area? :p

Vishal

I've been from Florida to Barelona and world championships is in Asia this time if it's anywhere in India or hong kong I can definitely go I can go almost anywhere in Europe and united states and Canada are also fine

Vishal

There's also nothing in my area so me and Chris are doing some conps but Im the was the only one who had flown to Virginia for the competition and I was taking to the organizer of the competition in Barelona and he said your coming all the way for that

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So it's apparently quite typical to average 1000 miles (Miles? Who uses miles instead of km these days?) per competition.

1. Average 1000 miles for what? You seem to be implying competitors travel an average of 1000 miles per competition, which is clearly false. Someone centrally located within their competitions would more likely travel 500 miles or something similar.

2. No, it's not apparently typical to average 1000 miles per competition. If you scroll further down the people in the middle/bottom either average a lot less than 1000, or are from a few years ago when there weren't many comps at all.

3. Average is a meaningless statistic in this instance (as you should well know), as most competitors probably have at least one or two huge outliers.

@Bryan Any way you could make an actual distance traveled one, for those people on CubingUSA who listed their hometown?

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you look at me and my friend Adam, we're number 667 and 668. Isn't strange we haven't the same distance, if we've been to the the same competitions, and wouldn't it be strange if we haven't been on the same competitions?

Well, we haven't. Between a competition in Stockholm and WC in Düsseldorf, I was in Farum, Denmark. Is it really possible that Farum was so EXTREMELY almost just between Stockholm and Düsseldorf?

I've travelled 113 meters longer than him, is that really possible?!

Map

(Tip, press the walking man to see the very easiest way to do it by foot!)

Me and Adam.

Gunnar

WCA
2004KRIG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If you look at me and my friend Adam, we're number 667 and 668. Isn't strange we haven't the same distance, if we've been to the the same competitions, and wouldn't it be strange if we haven't been on the same competitions?

Well, we haven't. Between a competition in Stockholm and WC in Düsseldorf, I was in Farum, Denmark. Is it really possible that Farum was so EXTREMELY almost just between Stockholm and Düsseldorf?

I've travelled 113 meters longer than him, is that really possible?!

Map

(Tip, press the walking man to see the very easiest way to do it by foot!)

Me and Adam.

That's quite surprising. It seems that Farum lies about halfway between Stockholm and Düsseldorf, but that it would be only an "error" by 113 meters is very surprising.

Is the distances measured as a straight line or traveling routes?

Kian

WCA
2007BARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Fun. Of course some of these number don't work because people don't live in the country they represent all the time (i.e. Tim Sun for a while, Jasmine Lee, etc.).

On a personal note, I'm adding about 500 miles this weekend :)

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
I found it interesting that Takao can be thought of as travelling around the equator a minimum of 4 times just for cubing.

@Bryan Any way you could make an actual distance traveled one, for those people on CubingUSA who listed their hometown?

I could. I'm working on trying to upgrade CubingUSA to use version 3 of the maps API, but once I get that done, I'll look at it. But this won't work for people like Tyson or even you who've moved during their WCA career.

Is the distances measured as a straight line or traveling routes?
Straight line. Some equation I found for calculating distances of two latitude/longitude pairs.

Fun. Of course some of these number don't work because people don't live in the country they represent all the time (i.e. Tim Sun for a while, Jasmine Lee, etc.).

It works on the assumption you don't go home. So if someone travelled from their home in California and competed in New Jersey, and then the next weekend competed in New York, it assumes they didn't go home in between (because I don't know everyone's home, except for CubingUSA users).

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Takao!!

Some interesting things:
- Joseph Liao and Erik Kwak both have 0 distance, with 5 competitions each. Impressive.
- I'm interested in the shortest (nonzero) distance but the best candidates are iffy. Trevor Mahoney went to two competitions in the same building, but they were apparently 0.6 feet apart. Even weirder is the next group of people, who went to two Xi'an competitions in two separate buildings (Daisi Hotel and Northwestern Polytechnical University), but yet only have a distance of 2.1 feet.
- Kang Lee is in front of me but has only been to 6 (!!!) competitions. It looks like he is alternating between Taiwan and UK competitions. Amazing!

Sakarie

WCA
2008SKAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
the walking man... WTF?!?

This little fella'

man.PNG

If you haven't got him, it's different versions...

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01
http://www.cubingusa.com/bydist/

I'll try to get this integrated into CubingUSA (maybe this weekend), but for now, here's the path of some cubers. I have to generate them on my computer which has a full copy of the WCA DB and then transfer over the .html. It's a quick hack on the CubingUSA cubers finder, so you'll have to zoom out for some people to see anything.

Would the WCA be interested in having this on their map?

Last edited: