• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

Perfectionist

Just a minor little thing... in the reply box, the QUOTE button is hidden under the "+" sign next to the Media button

Could the Quote button be given its own place please, as there plenty of space for it ?

Maybe even give the Spoiler, Code, Strike-thru actions their own button space too?[/QUOTE]

Fejfo

A better way to reply to comments than to quote them, like reddits cascading comments. Also a way to choose which way the comments sort (new -> old, old -> new, most likes,...)

I_<3_SCS

A better way to reply to comments than to quote them, like reddits cascading comments. Also a way to choose which way the comments sort (new -> old, old -> new, most likes,...)

Wait... but if you sort by most likes, the thread doesn't make sense anymore...

Fejfo

Wait... but if you sort by most likes, the thread doesn't make sense anymore...

If replies are cascading the thread should still make sense. Since replies to replies are attached and indented. Only replies directly to the posted are ordered, and replies to replies are all ordered within their own reply. (Just look at reddit if you don't get what I mean)

I_<3_SCS

If replies are cascading the thread should still make sense. Since replies to replies are attached and indented. Only replies directly to the posted are ordered, and replies to replies are all ordered within their own reply. (Just look at reddit if you don't get what I mean)

Ah... I see... Then why not just use r/Cubers?

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

I don't know, I kinda like the way Speedsolving does it. It keeps everything nice and chronological.

xyzzy

Also a way to choose which way the comments sort (new -> old, old -> new, most likes,...)
Chronological (or reverse chronological) still remains as the only sensible option unless you want to ensure that late replies never get any visibility because they'd be buried by fast-but-heavily-upvoted replies.

SenorJuan

Since this afternoon (Thu 27th) I've been unable to access any of the site with scripting turned off, I get a message about 'cloudflare ddos' and some hex numbers, telling me it won't work without scripting.
I turned on scripting, reloaded the page, then turned off scripting, and it's carried on working OK after that. I guess some cookie must've been set??
Is this a permanent change, or just some temporary cloudflare-related 'protection process'.?

Tonalli-T

Hi everybody. I am new. I created my account because I have an idea. In database algorithms: why not create a list of algs for right-handers and another for left-handers. If a person is looking for an algorithm that suits him or her, it could become much easier. I mean, something like this :

Left-handers :
F' L' U' L U F

Right-handers :
F R U R' U' F'

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi everybody. I am new. I created my account because I have an idea. In database algorithms: why not create a list of algs for right-handers and another for left-handers. If a person is looking for an algorithm that suits him or her, it could become much easier.
Or you could just mirror the algs which most of the databases already contain.

Duncan Bannon

Just a little thing I noticed since the site update. When I click on my conversation box (the envelope) and move my mouse to the names of the people in the conversation, I can no longer click on their name to go to their profile. I do this simply to see if they have been on recently or such, so no big deal at all, just something I would prefer to be changed.

Thanks!

Reactions: pjk

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results
Just a little thing I noticed since the site update. When I click on my conversation box (the envelope) and move my mouse to the names of the people in the conversation, I can no longer click on their name to go to their profile. I do this simply to see if they have been on recently or such, so no big deal at all, just something I would prefer to be changed.

Thanks!
If you click on the conversation itself, then you can visit their profile easily. If you can click their username on the dropdown, it can confuse people as they want to visit the conversation but instead it goes to their profile.

hdertgaming

YouTube
Visit Channel
on the root page (www.speedsolving.com) the whole area in and around the text for each of the websites sections should have an overlay that is transparent and slightly larger than the section that links to that respective section.
For example this section
Screenshot from 2019-01-16 19-31-21.png
of this part
Screenshot from 2019-01-16 19-31-16.png
of the website should have a transparent overlay that links to the respective section of the website instead of having only the black text link to the respective section

Reactions: pjk
The goal of this thread is to get some more discussion going on how to improve the community, and make changes that seem necessary.

More often than not if we don't hear feedback from the community, we don't know there is an issue. We certainly need help from the community reporting issues, bugs, etc., but in addition, over time, it's important to make changes like layouts, culture, etc. The moderation team here normally discusses these issues, but we want to hear from you, the community.

As the site has grown, the culture has changed. There are more people, different discussions, and less conversations to be had (the wiki has over 1,000 articles and the forum has 1,100,000+ posts now). Some people lose interest in the hobby, and others simply lose interest in the discussion. New and old members don't find the same discussions interesting, so balancing that is one of the problems that needs to be solved.

So, what feedback do you have for the community to make it better? Better meaning more useful and interesting to you. How can we make discussions more constructive? How can we better keep beginner discussions separate from more mature discussions, so each group can still constructively discuss on here?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, either by sending me a PM directly, or by replying to this thread. Thanks for your time.
i feel there should be a mobile appppp