Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by pjk, Sep 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. 4Chan

4Chan Premium Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Lumbridge
    YouTube:
    boxxybabee
    It would be really cool if we had an option for full on nostalgia mode and could switch back to 2007-2009 speedsolving view.

If that wasn't possible, maybe the old 4x4 in the header would be great for nostalgia and sentimentality.

Rcuber123 likes this.
  2. stoic

stoic Premium Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Co. Tyrone, N. Ireland
    WCA:
    2013DEAR01
    Not a suggestion, but an observation:
    It seemed like a vast amount of long-time posters jumped ship when the forum was upgraded and there was a big influx of new members. The mods seemed to vanish too, as post quality deteriorated badly. (I understand a lot of their work goes unseen but certainly they weren't posting regularly.) It's settled down a lot now, and obviously it's great to have a lot of new contributors but I do feel there's been a bit of a brain drain. I guess that's the way it goes as people get older.

3. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    For me personally, i used to read everything and post regularly back in the day, but after the forum upgrade, it jusn't didn't seem convenient anymore, and after a while i just stopped checking the forums at all.

4. Brest

Brest Super Reconstructor Staff Member

Sep 30, 2010
    WCA:
    2011STUA01
    YouTube:
    BrestCubing
    I don't understand this. How did you / do you access the site? via bookmark? or do you type in the address?

The forum itself has more features that help in navigation, as far as I can tell. For example, when I quote your post like this you will get an alert with a link to this post. As well as being able to use @ followed by a username to also notify members the same way.
    You can still subscribe to threads and sub-forums. You can still view all new posts, with the list showing you all unread threads with a break after those that were posted since your last visit.

5. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    idk, man. all of that stuff is nice. maybe i'm just not fit for change :)

i used to have a bookmark for the "home", that doesn't work anymore. is home equal to new posts?

6. sqAree

sqAree Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Berlin
    WCA:
    2015JAEH01
    YouTube:
    sqAree
    Try https://www.speedsolving.com/old/index.php maybe!

7. Brest

Brest Super Reconstructor Staff Member

Sep 30, 2010
    WCA:
    2011STUA01
    YouTube:
    BrestCubing
  8. newtonbase

newtonbase Premium Member

Jan 4, 2014
    MK, UK
    WCA:
    2015ADAM03
    YouTube:
    newtonbase
    I have a couple of suggestions regarding alerts
    1. If I have an alert telling me about a new post but then access the thread directly then the alert stays active. I'd prefer it to clear automatically.
    2. If I have several different alerts and click on one of them then they all become inactive. Personally I'd prefer the ones I haven't accessed to stay active unless accessed in some way, but to have an option to clear everything

Heart_Johnson, biscuit and stoic like this.
  9. EveRest

EveRest Member

Oct 4, 2016
    IMO speedsolbing should have a shoutbox to promote real time intersction between the members :)

wir3sandfir3s likes this.
  10. CornerCutter

CornerCutter Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Cubing at my desk. - USA
    YouTube:
    CornerTwist
    You should be able to look at your own statistics like where you made your posts and what time of day you made them, like a bar chart.

11. wir3sandfir3s

wir3sandfir3s Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Under the hanging piano.
    YouTube:
    Not A Cuber
    You wanna be stalked? K

12. CornerCutter

CornerCutter Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Cubing at my desk. - USA
    YouTube:
    CornerTwist
    It would be private.:p

13. Nothing is private (evil laugh)

14. CornerCutter

CornerCutter Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Cubing at my desk. - USA
    YouTube:
    CornerTwist
    Well....you know what I mean.;)

15. wir3sandfir3s

wir3sandfir3s Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Under the hanging piano.
    YouTube:
    Not A Cuber
    If the site is keeping track of it for you to see, the people managing the site can still see it, we just know we are being stalked. In fact, we could actually be being stalked by the people managing the forums right now... pjk???

PenguinsDontFly likes this.
  16. CornerCutter

CornerCutter Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Cubing at my desk. - USA
    YouTube:
    CornerTwist
  17. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    If a user has no avatar, can a blank space ( or white square ) be used as the default, rather than the blue-grey question-mark icon, please?
    A blank/empty space (or 90x1 image? ) would take up less space (than an 90 pixel square), and would thus reduce the length of threads, as the 'user box' is often twice the height of the post accompanying it.
    On this 'user box' subject, the 'Post Count' and 'Number of Likes' could be on the same line.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  18. But I like taking up more space- it makes me feel more important.

19. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    I've just had a tinker with my avatar, pretty disappointing results. If it's more than twice as big in one direction than the other, it's not allowed. If it's less than 90 pixels, it gets zoomed up in size, so a 45 x 90 image would end up heavily clipped left and right and zoomed in 2x. So my request is something the webmasters would have to do.

20. CornerCutter

CornerCutter Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Cubing at my desk. - USA
    YouTube:
    CornerTwist
    Hey could you make part of your profile maybe right below your location where you could list your 3x3 main? I like seeing which cube people use.