Community Feedback: how can the site improve?

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by pjk, Sep 22, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    The goal of this thread is to get some more discussion going on how to improve the community, and make changes that seem necessary.

More often than not if we don't hear feedback from the community, we don't know there is an issue. We certainly need help from the community reporting issues, bugs, etc., but in addition, over time, it's important to make changes like layouts, culture, etc. The moderation team here normally discusses these issues, but we want to hear from you, the community.

As the site has grown, the culture has changed. There are more people, different discussions, and less conversations to be had (the wiki has over 1,000 articles and the forum has 1,100,000+ posts now). Some people lose interest in the hobby, and others simply lose interest in the discussion. New and old members don't find the same discussions interesting, so balancing that is one of the problems that needs to be solved.

So, what feedback do you have for the community to make it better? Better meaning more useful and interesting to you. How can we make discussions more constructive? How can we better keep beginner discussions separate from more mature discussions, so each group can still constructively discuss on here?

Any and all feedback is appreciated, either by sending me a PM directly, or by replying to this thread. Thanks for your time.

2. PlainCuber

PlainCuber Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Harrisonville, Missouri
    Not to be boring, but I like the community/forum just like it is. And as far as keeping beginner discussions separate, I would vote NO. I think newbies should be able to "mingle" with all other cubers. Just my two cents.

TheTesseractCallsToMe likes this.
  3. EchecsRex

EchecsRex Member

Feb 21, 2016
    I think there should be a sub category to the fourms where new cubers can go. There could be faq's and other things that you might need to know as a new cuber. Experienced cubers/members can go there to answer all the questions new cubers have.

DAKSHITKUMAR KUMBHANI likes this.
  4. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    I've been having an issue with the forum being slow. It works fine when I am logged out, and OK on the Tapatalk thing, but when I am logged in it can take several tries to get to any page or thread or to make a post. Sometimes I click on "new posts", nothing loads, and when I reload the page it redirects to the forum homepage (speedsolving.com/forum). It started a few weeks back and I've tried all the things- using a different browser, using a different computer, accessing it from school, etc. It kinda works on my phone browser but that's all.

On the issue of what to do for newer cubers, I don't care right now I should be sleeping kbye lol

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

5. wir3sandfir3s

wir3sandfir3s Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Under the hanging piano.
    YouTube:
    Not A Cuber
    So ever since off-topic threads have been removed from the front page, they have been kinda dead. An idea could be giving them their own new posts tab to make them as easy accessible as normal feed so people can find and use them again. Just an idea!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    WACWCA and Roman like this.
  6. The only thing I might suggest is the ability to mute threads or forums.

Also, we do have an entire section dedicate to beginner questions...

Douf, wir3sandfir3s and Torch like this.
  7. Loiloiloi

Loiloiloi Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    WCA:
    2016CLAR04
    Is there was a section of the site where you could input your average times or PBs and it would show up on your profile or under your name on the forums that would be a pretty cool feature.

Roman likes this.
  8. The signature? A lot of people use it for that?

9. Loiloiloi

Loiloiloi Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    WCA:
    2016CLAR04
    A user-made workaround doesn't constitute them not making a change. This is a suggestion thread, and it's something I think a lot of people would use.

10. I've noticed that the signature preview isn't accurate. The preview for my signature is 4 lines long, but when I post it's only 3. Like the the screen isn't as long, so I have to check a previous post to make sure it's formatted correctly.

11. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    I haven't really thought much about what improvements can be made but here's one:

In my opinion, we do not need a new thread for every new WR/CR/NR announcement. I would prefer it if we could somehow just group all of these announcements into some record feed. Users may submit their own announcements with proper format like: region, result, event, record format(single/average/mean), competitor name.

However if there's actually something to discuss e.g. the scrambles or a video of the record, then creating a thread is appropriate.

Tim Major and WACWCA like this.
  12. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    I'm not sure if I agree. Speedsolving is where I get most of my cubing news (and I'm sure this is true for many others), and if any WR is broken, I want to see it as soon as I check the site. If I see that your proposed thread is bumped, it could just be someone congratulating the record holder, or it could be an entirely new world record. I like to know what I'm getting into by the title before clicking on the thread. CRs and NRs are understandable to have in a thread like that (unless they're particularly notable, like WR2), but I'd personally still prefer to see them have their own thread.

13. Robert-Y

Robert-Y Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 21, 2009
    England
    WCA:
    2009YAUR01
    YouTube:
    Robert271291
    In my mind, we could keep a window on the homepage displaying recent records, kept up to date by users. So hopefully you will indeed see the records as soon as you check the site. I'd also like to know about WR2 etc too. Users could also submit records like these.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  14. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    My view on this:
    WRs should have their own thread.
    CRs, NRs should have their own thread only if they are notable, i.e. OcR 3x3 single or NAR 4x4 average, and not Latvian NR 6x6 single or AfR FMC average.
    If anyone gets a time that isn't exactly notable, they can post it, but don't post every official solve you ever got in its own thread.

15. Windar

Windar Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Someone who creates a new topic or thread should be able to delete it, and posts too.

turtwig likes this.
  16. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    I think the forum in general is fine for the vast majority of its users. I think long time members are leaving or lurking because we don't feel we have much of anything to contribute to the community. My suggestion is to give older cubers a sub-forum or section to hang out in where we do feel that we can contribute interesting or relevant things.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  17. SpeedcuberJH

SpeedcuberJH Member

Dec 19, 2015
    Australia
    WCA:
    2016HUNT01
    YouTube:
    Slowto Speedy
    1. Maybe a leaderboard of some sort? You could connect your wca profile and see your score among others.

2. A full makeover. The forum is a little bit old and could probably be improved.

3. A section where YouTube videos could be promoted to start up people's channels.

4. An instant messaging section; anyone online could speak to other cubers.

5. A photo gallery.

6. Forum ranks depending on how experienced you are.

That's pretty much all I could think of. I think adding these things would be awesome.

18. FastCubeMaster

FastCubeMaster Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    WCA:
    2015PEAR02
    YouTube:
    FastCubeMaster
    Maybe the ability for the thread creator to edit the title/move the thread to a different topic?

19. wir3sandfir3s

wir3sandfir3s Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Under the hanging piano.
    YouTube:
    Not A Cuber
    There's a thread for that

EveRest likes this.
  20. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    i'm still very much missing the old forums, where i just click home and see everything i need
    now i need to take a couple of clicks.

4Chan likes this.