• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Clock springs help?

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
Anyone? After one of the springs gets tight the one of the faces jumps back a few hours the opposite way. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with magnets. I did notice that there were plastic residue inside most of the face pieces. It could be stopping the springs from rotating.

Hazel

Premium Member
Anyone? After one of the springs gets tight the one of the faces jumps back a few hours the opposite way. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with magnets. I did notice that there were plastic residue inside most of the face pieces. It could be stopping the springs from rotating.
My first guess is maybe there isn't enough lube in that area of the clock so there's too much friction, but I'm no expert...

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi,

My magnetic clock is having an issue. When I turn one of the dials a few times it seems like the spring inside is winding up and getting tight. Wondering if anyone has had this issue and if there is a fix?

Maybe @TipsterTrickster can you help?

Thanks!
Based off of my limited experience of spring noise in Clock, I would say to try and add a little lube and see if that works. I had some spring noise a while back with one of my clocks, and after cleaning it out and lubing it, I did not hear the spring noise, so I would assume that it will be the same for you.

Thom S.

Without owning a clock, this sounds like the spring catches on the plastic. This could of course come from plastic bumps, but are there washers at these springs? This seems like a potential solve as, you know, this is the reason cubes have them

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
It isn’t the magnets. I have had something like this happen but to a lesser extent and I would guess it’s the plastic residue because that’s what it was for me.
Without owning a clock, this sounds like the spring catches on the plastic. This could of course come from plastic bumps, but are there washers at these springs? This seems like a potential solve as, you know, this is the reason cubes have them
Yeah I took the clock apart again and there is plastic residue on the inside of the pieces. It seems like the springs could catch on it. I will clean that off and let you guys know if that was the issue.

Hazel

Premium Member
Yeah I took the clock apart again and there is plastic residue on the inside of the pieces. It seems like the springs could catch on it. I will clean that off and let you guys know if that was the issue.
Did that work? I'm having the same spring issue...

Hazel

Premium Member
Yes, it worked great! I'm posting a video about how to fix the issue tomorrow. When did you purchase your clock? I wonder if it was the same batch?
Oh cool! I received it from the cubicle and magnetized it yesterday, but I have no idea when they got it.