• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

Julio974

WCA
2018ROHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have an History of Records page been suggested?
Also, maybe marking sub-WR Single or less than 50% of the person’s PB Single as suspicious and sending it to moderators could be useful (then they look and approve/delete it)

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I reccommend that you maybe put the vote for the addition of Redi and Master Pyra on the weekly comp main page, so that more people see that this even is a thing. I mean like a small headline over the entry so everyone that participates sees it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I reccommend that you maybe put the vote for the addition of Redi and Master Pyra on the weekly comp main page, so that more people see that this even is a thing. I mean like a small headline over the entry so everyone that participates sees it.
I'm not sure this is what you were requesting, but I just now added an announcement with links to the poll posts at the top of the Weekly View and Manual Entry pages. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This should probably be scored differently :D
This is a known bug that I really hope to fix soon, but I have been overwhelmed with other things so I have not gotten to it yet. If you notice, it gets straightened out after the week is complete (check week 49 and you'll see it's better now), so I've considered it rather low priority.

I have added Kinch Scores (WCA events only) to the weekly results page. I have not had time to check the numbers to make sure the calculations are correct, so if they are not, please bear with me - I'll try to verify them when I get the chance. Please note that, at the moment, it is based on our internal site's site records, not on current WCA world records. So scores here may be quite different from what you'd expect for real WCA results.

I've thought about making this work based on WCA world records, but there are two issues:
1. I would have to periodically import WCA world records to calculate against. I can do that, but it will take time, so it will have to wait until I have finished my end-of-year site changes, so several weeks at least.
2. I'm not sure whether I should take our own records into account for Kinch calculations if I do this, or just work against the WCA world records. If I just work against the WCA world records, it would be theoretically possible for someone to get a Kinch score over 100 (since they would be able to be better than the current world record). I'm not sure if that's a desirable thing or not. Any opinions on this would be welcome.

Last edited:

xyzzy

Switch to SiGN or WCA notation for the 6×6 and 7×7 scrambles? The weekly comps have been using the (very) old WCA notation ("3U" to mean 3Uw), which conflicts with SiGN's slice move notation.

(Best would be having an option to switch between (current) WCA and SiGN when logged in on the competition site… but maybe that's asking for too much. I prefer SiGN because it needs less eye travel to read, but it's less of an "everyone should know this" standard than WCA notation.)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Switch to SiGN or WCA notation for the 6×6 and 7×7 scrambles? The weekly comps have been using the (very) old WCA notation ("3U" to mean 3Uw), which conflicts with SiGN's slice move notation.

(Best would be having an option to switch between (current) WCA and SiGN when logged in on the competition site… but maybe that's asking for too much. I prefer SiGN because it needs less eye travel to read, but it's less of an "everyone should know this" standard than WCA notation.)
As I stated earlier, I would like to change over to 100% TNoodle-translated scramblers for everything when I have the chance (I've only done skewb so far). So that will mean switching to WCA notation. I suppose I can look at the possibility of allowing SiGN as an option, but I would consider that much lower priority. And there are certainly a number of other things that are higher priority for me right now. But I definitely want the TNoodle-translated scramblers sometime early next year.

The last time I went to a WCA competition with 6x6x6 and got to do some scrambling, I spent the first 30 seconds or so staring at the scramble trying to remember how to execute it, because I was so used to our scrambles here. LOL. This is definitely something I'd like to fix.

Jacck

WCA
2013HUBH01
Don't really know where to put this, but I think that's a good thread for it:

Thanx to Mike and Mats for giving us a great competition each week!!

Merry christmas - and to all others, who run this forum and the WCA or take part of it!

Ah, and I have a suggestion for a new event: "Counting the cube" - and Santa makes the start right here:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
my results have still not changed lol
around an hour ago it was 40 and got changed back to dnf again :/ (solution works, i can assure you)
I'm truly sorry - I thought I had it fixed but I still had another bug. Please check now; it seems to me like it's all correct now. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.

WCA
2018KRZY01
Hi, for some reason I haven't been succesful in my attempts to log in to the site - is the competition for week 52 only on there? In that case, I'd need to solve my login problem..

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Okay, this week we have some major changes to the Weekly Competition.

First, Fewest Moves has been changed to Mean of 3 format. This was a HUGE change affecting large parts of the code, because the code was originally designed with the assumption that formats would never change. I have done all I can to try to make the interface work okay with the new format. The timer is still a little strange with fewest moves if you do weird things with it. Please bear with me as I try to clean it up. If you have any problems with the behavior on fewest moves, or in general, please PM me and I will be happy to try to straighten it out for you. Please consider keeping your on-paper solutions this week for a little while, just to make sure your solutions are properly saved. I will be making daily backups, so if you see that your solution and explanation shows up okay in the results pages, you can probably rest assured it will be saved.

Note that we now require an explanation for each of the three solutions. There is also an overall comment box, which is not required, so you can use that to talk about how you did overall with the mean of 3. Note that this is intended to follow WCA rules - anyone who gets a DNF for the mean of 3 is still ranked according to best single, so it is still useful to do your best on individual solves.

Second, we have added Redi Cube and Master Pyraminx as two new events. Redi Cube uses the Rubiks'kewb scrambling notation, which might not be the most popular notation now, but xyzzy kindly offered his scrambler, and that's what it generates. If anyone knows of a random state scrambler for Redi Cube that uses the other notation, and there is general consensus that it's better (which I'm not currently convinced of), please feel free to let me know. Master Pyraminx uses a notation suggested by one of our members here - "w" is appended to wide moves (moving 3 of the 4 layers), and lowercase means tips.

As I said, please PM me if you see any issues that need addressing, and good luck!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
One note: The second scramble for 2019-01 for Master Pyraminx has a sequence "L' Lw' L", which is redundant. I will try to have the scrambler fixed to prevent that by next week, but for this week, I think it's safe to say the scramble is still a perfectly reasonable scramble for competition, so I will not be replacing the scrambles this week.