• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
On the current personal records page, for your multi-bld history, it doesn't take into account whether a solve is a DNF or not when it highlights it orange (to indicate a PB).
For example, my first solve (1/2 DNF) is highlighted, then the next several DNFs are not highlighted, then I get a faster 1/2 DNF later and it highlights it orange.
Thanks. There are still a few bugs in the handling of multi DNFs (1/2 DNFs in particular); I know the current weekly ranking doesn't distinguish between 0 points and DNF either. I'll see what I can do about those problems sometime in the next week or so.

Still not sure about multi best of 3. If nothing else, there's the fact that it will really fill up the database with scrambles... :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you maybe add a Kinch score that only takes WCA-events into account? Would really like to know this :)
This is a good idea; I will try to add it.
Also maybe a overwiev over all Server records would be nice
I have been planning to add more of the pages like the WCA has for a while; I will try to get to it soon.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
This week I replaced the skewb scrambler with a direct translation of the current TNoodle scrambler. Hopefully that will prevent the problem we had with the scrambles last week.

I hope to eventually replace all the scramblers with direct TNoodle scrambler translations, but for now, at least the skewb scrambles should be valid.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Would it be possible to allow people to indicate their nation? It would allow to have SNR and SCR.
That's a good idea, and I've thought of it before. But I'm not sure how to handle the people with no nation. I suppose I could just leave them out of that column, but I'm not sure if it's the best option.

I've also often wondered about allowing people to optionally enter their WCA ID; if they did, I could lift the nation from that, and auto-populate it. I would still want a nation field if I did that, though, since some people might have never competed.

Any other opinions about either of these ideas? WCA ID good or bad? Optional nation field good or bad?

xyzzy

That's a good idea, and I've thought of it before. But I'm not sure how to handle the people with no nation. I suppose I could just leave them out of that column, but I'm not sure if it's the best option.

I've also often wondered about allowing people to optionally enter their WCA ID; if they did, I could lift the nation from that, and auto-populate it. I would still want a nation field if I did that, though, since some people might have never competed.

Any other opinions about either of these ideas? WCA ID good or bad? Optional nation field good or bad?
WCA ID could be interesting (to compare the times on the site against official results).

I don't think it's necessary to include a nation field though; there aren't so many competitors that segregating them by nation (or even continent) makes sense, not to mention that the site's populace is obviously biased towards Anglophone territories (US, UK).

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I agree with xyzzy. Especially because I guess it would be easy to write short algorithm that compares the uploaded results of the weekly comp with the WCA results and gives the competitor a note if the relative difference is too big or something along these lines. Could also be used to give a notification for the mods to see fishy results.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I agree with xyzzy. Especially because I guess it would be easy to write short algorithm that compares the uploaded results of the weekly comp with the WCA results and gives the competitor a note if the relative difference is too big or something along these lines. Could also be used to give a notification for the mods to see fishy results.

I don’t think I’m the only one for whom official results are not necessarily representative. I have an official feet single of I think 3:02, but in actuality and forum comps I’ve been running closer to 1:40 (although I haven’t practiced feet much since summer). Forum competitions are a much better gauge of my skill than the 2 comps I’ve been to.

Edit to note: I do think it would be fun to be able to compare easily. I also like the idea of listing a country for people who don’t have a WCA ID.

xyzzy

I don’t think I’m the only one for whom official results are not necessarily representative. I have an official feet single of I think 3:02, but in actuality and forum comps I’ve been running closer to 1:40 (although I haven’t practiced feet much since summer). Forum competitions are a much better gauge of my skill than the 2 comps I’ve been to.

Edit to note: I do think it would be fun to be able to compare easily. I also like the idea of listing a country for people who don’t have a WCA ID.
Oh, certainly. I don't mean to say that site results which are "too much better" than official results should automatically get rejected. My big cube results on the weekly comps are way better than what my official results would indicate.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01

I dont want to reject results automatically. But I think that a programm that just overlooks and shows big differences may give the mods some help on finding cheaters.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I dont want to reject results automatically. But I think that a programm that just overlooks and shows big differences may give the mods some help on finding cheaters.
I’m not a mod, so I’m just spitballing here, but if I had to guess I’d say that a program like this would just make more unnecessary work for the mods. If somebody claims a 2- second 3x3 average that’s just obvious, and you might get somebody who’s done 30 seconds at a comp claiming they got an 8-second average, but most of the cheats I’ve seen are doing things more like the 2-second average. If it’s a jump from 30 to 10 or something like that I’d rather give somebody the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe they got 30 seconds with LBL on a Rubik’s brand. Maybe they’re actually really talented, and got a good cube, practiced, learned full OLL and PLL, and actually improved that much. It’s a long shot, but possible, and tbh the harder you make it to cheat the more entertaining it sounds to try.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
I think that although it would be nice to be able to click on someone on the weekly comp website and compare there official results with there weekly results, I am not positive that it will work as good as some of you are hoping/thinking it will, because (And based off of experience) I know that there are cubers who preform better/much better at home or an environment that they are used to vs a competition, and therefore leading to a decent time difference in time, and from there leading certain individuals to assume that someone is cheating, without knowing if they are right or not, and from there it causes more unnecessary work and time for the mods and accused members, with no real reason, as well as hurting people and/or making some-many people leery of competing or just leaving the forums altogether to avoid the chance that something wrong in going to happen to them as well. And that is hard for me see to happen and it is one of the reasons that I am less for adding the wca id's then for

Of course there are times that you can tell are faked and therefore removed by the mods, and those members are talked to at that time, but I feel like by adding the ability to compare wca times is going to cause more work for the mods then it is worth. With that all being said, it is nice at times to compare times from others, and if it is added I hope that it does not add any stress or unnecessary work for others that would otherwise be better to not have added the changes in the first place.
I hope this makes some sense to you all.

SpartanSailor

WCA
2016DUEH02
I’m not sure the mods should use their time fleshing our cheaters either. I, too, have far better times here weekly than I have in official comps—for any number of reasons, not the least of which is I choose precisely when I compete here based upon a good streak or run when things are clicking.

The cheater discussion seems to return somewhat frequently and I’m just not sure why... perhaps finishing in the bottom quartile every week makes me unconcerned?? Idk...

But to the nations thing... why stop there, why not add gender and age groups?