• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Overall Kinch score would be easy, but overall Kinch rank would be quite difficult because I currently do no preprocessing on the database (and telling you your Kinch rank relative to everyone else would require calculations against every single result in the entire database!).

But I do hope to add some preprocessing someday, so I'll try to make sure I can add that when I do - thanks for the suggestion!
I just meant overall Kinch score and then a simple Ranking with these. Not realtive to to each other, just relative to the Records on the weekly comp :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just meant overall Kinch score and then a simple Ranking with these. Not realtive to to each other, just relative to the Records on the weekly comp :)
Okay, I'm still not sure you meant what I could easily do, but I added what I could easily add - Kinch scores overall and for each event on the personal records page. It's a nice addition.

I will add actual Kinch rankings someday when I add preprocessing of the database.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
Okay, I'm still not sure you meant what I could easily do, but I added what I could easily add - Kinch scores overall and for each event on the personal records page. It's a nice addition.

I will add actual Kinch rankings someday when I add preprocessing of the database.
That was exactly what I meant :) Thanks!
Maybe it would be good to not let Events that are not part of the weekly comp anymore count into the overall kinch tho.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe it would be good to not let Events that are not part of the weekly comp anymore count into the overall kinch tho.
That makes sense; WCA Kinch rankings don't take into account discontinued events, so ours shouldn't either. I'll try to fix that this weekend. I'll leave individual event Kinch scores for even the discontinued events, though.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
That makes sense; WCA Kinch rankings don't take into account discontinued events, so ours shouldn't either. I'll try to fix that this weekend. I'll leave individual event Kinch scores for even the discontinued events, though.
I think I've fixed these now. I'm only counting current events now, and I corrected the multiBLD calculations, which were quite wrong before.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The rankings don't seem to go by single when people get the same average. (Two people have 10.88 average in 3x3 this week, but they are ranked in reverse order of best single.)
Good point. That's been a shortcoming for a long time; ranking was basically random. I had noticed it a couple of times before, but there were always other things that seemed like higher priority. But now with more people competing, this is happening much more often. I will try to fix it.

But that brings up an interesting question: when counting overall point score, we give people with tied results equal scores. Should we be breaking the tie on averages with singles before counting point scores? So should the two people with 10.88 averages in 3x3x3 this week get the same overall score for that event, or should the person who had the better single get an extra point? (Note that Kinch scores for averages would treat this as a tie.)

Last edited:

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
Good point. That's been a shortcoming for a long time; ranking was basically random. I had noticed it a couple of times before, but there were always other things that seemed like higher priority. But now with more people competing, this is happening much more often. I will try to fix it.

But that brings up an interesting question: when counting overall point score, we give people with tied results equal scores. Should we be breaking the tie on averages with singles before counting point scores? So should the two people with 10.88 averages in 3x3x3 this week get the same overall score for that event, or should the person who had the better single get an extra point? (Note that Kinch scores for averages would treat this as a tie.)
I've done that since 2009 here :) (sorted ties by best single).
Only in FMC has there been split points (apart from the case where several
people share last place in an event with DNF).

Actually I think it was you who taught me that back then.

Last edited:

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've done that since 2009 here :) (sorted ties by best single).
Only in FMC has there been split points (apart from the case where several
people share last place in an event with DNF).

Actually I think it was you who taught me that back then.
Okay; I'll try to make sure that's what's implemented then. Thank you.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just realized that Kevin was arguing that he needed to be knocked down one placing. :) I'm truly glad that cubing is such an honorable sport.

The 3x3x3 list this week is fixed, but there are some specific cases which the code still does not handle correctly; I'll see what I can do to fix it completely. I also still have not yet checked to see if the best single is factored into the overall score calculation yet.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
A small Addition I totally forgot about: How about an extra alltime Ranking of the Kinch scores?
That would be an operation against every entry in the database, so it would be very slow to process. I do intend to add it someday when I start preprocessing results each week, but it will be a while before I get to that. Perhaps in a few months.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
That would be an operation against every entry in the database, so it would be very slow to process. I do intend to add it someday when I start preprocessing results each week, but it will be a while before I get to that. Perhaps in a few months.

Is it really that much work? I mean, you already have a Kinch Score on every profile, so just ranking them too seems not like it would be that difficult :)

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
After using the website for entering times for a few weeks I have a couple of (I think) relatively trivial-to-implement suggestions that would make the website undeniably easier to use than the forum:

1. Ditch the yellow background. Too hard to read.
2. Add space between scrambles: especially on longer scrambles like megaminx and 7x7 it's too easy to lose track of which line you're on.
3. This one might be harder, but when you click on "compete" make manual entry the default, so you either use a different timer (like I do) or make sure you have the timer set up the way you want it before starting it.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
1. I intend to. I will be changing the layout and changing the color scheme at thw same time. Probably still a few weeks away, but it's coming. I also intend to allow custom colors if desired, as was requested earlier.
2. When I do #1, I'll experiment with this and see what I think works. It's hard to add space for the mobile version though, since there's already too little space on the screen as it is.
3. I really like it the way it is, since I use the built-in timer. But I can see how others would not. So I'll do the obvious thing - make it a setting. I'll add a checkbox to make it default to manual entry.