• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Changes to the Weekly Competition website

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
So be able to turn it off seems good to me.
The setting is already there to turn it off - I hope you've found it. I guess I need to figure out how to reproduce the problem you had so I can fix it.

The suggestions for the manual entry page sound good; I'll add them to the list. Thank you for the suggestions!

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just a small suggestion. At Guildford Challenge the Skewb scramble is only halfway readable. Maybe make a scroll option there?
Yes, that is something I need to fix. The problem is actually much bigger with multiBLD, if you attempt a bunch of cubes. It's on my list to fix; until I do, you can get the scrambles for these from the competition posting or from manual entry (open another tab).

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01
I really like the weekly score thing, but it seems to be pretty SOR like. I would really appreciate it to also add a Kinchlike Score. The points you get for different events dont seem to be very good distributed. For example I get 40 points in 3x3 with a 10 avg, but only 27 points for Square-1 with a 12 avg. And in the previous week I got a 19avg in square and 27 points iirc.
How I said, I really like this feature, but I would maybe make the score dependent on current WRs^^ Or even a mixture of both or just both seperate.

MatsBergsten

Premium Member
WCA
2008BERG04
I really like the weekly score thing, but it seems to be pretty SOR like. I would really appreciate it to also add a Kinchlike Score. The points you get for different events dont seem to be very good distributed. For example I get 40 points in 3x3 with a 10 avg, but only 27 points for Square-1 with a 12 avg. And in the previous week I got a 19avg in square and 27 points iirc.
How I said, I really like this feature, but I would maybe make the score dependent on current WRs^^ Or even a mixture of both or just both seperate.
What's SOR? (The scoring is rather simple and (as you noticed) most of all dependent of the number of contestants in each event).

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah but I find it pretty unfair that you get so many points for an event just bc it is popular^^ And almost none for events like BigBLD or so
The big BLD events have some other advantages though. The participation points for big BLD are higher than for any other event (assuming you attempt every scramble). And if you get a successful big BLD solve, you get 1.5 times the participation points. So for instance, if you get a successful 7x7x7 BLD solve, you get 21 points just for having solved it.

I can look into creating something like a Kinch ranking when I revamp the statistics, which I hope to do soon. I do think it might be a nice addition as an alternative stat.

Keroma12

WCA
2010MATT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The big BLD events have some other advantages though. The participation points for big BLD are higher than for any other event (assuming you attempt every scramble). And if you get a successful big BLD solve, you get 1.5 times the participation points. So for instance, if you get a successful 7x7x7 BLD solve, you get 21 points just for having solved it.

I can look into creating something like a Kinch ranking when I revamp the statistics, which I hope to do soon. I do think it might be a nice addition as an alternative stat.

I like the idea of having half your score based on kinch ranks, half based on participation-type points.
But maybe having them as separate rankings, as you suggest, would be better?

PS: I will start participating in BLD again soon; I almost have my new system sorted out.

ichcubegerne

WCA
2013BOTZ01

That is pretty unfair imo.
Getting a 7x7BLD success should be a lot more worth, than doing a not even middleclass 3x3 average^^

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Can you add inspection time to the timer?
This is already on my list of things to add, along with BLD memo/execution split. I intend to work on this right after some of the statistics additions that I'm working on now.

Also do you have to do all your solves in one session for bigger cubes? Will it save your times?
If you save after doing just some of the solves, it will keep the ones you've done so far, and you can come back and continue later. There is a bug though if you only have one solve remaining - it turns the last solve into a DNF, and you'll have to delete that DNF if you want to finish it. But you can delete that DNF when you come back to it and finish off, if you need to.

Be careful - you do need to hit "Submit Times" in order for your solves so far to be saved.

CornerCutter

YouTube
Visit Channel
This is already on my list of things to add, along with BLD memo/execution split. I intend to work on this right after some of the statistics additions that I'm working on now.

If you save after doing just some of the solves, it will keep the ones you've done so far, and you can come back and continue later. There is a bug though if you only have one solve remaining - it turns the last solve into a DNF, and you'll have to delete that DNF if you want to finish it. But you can delete that DNF when you come back to it and finish off, if you need to.

Be careful - you do need to hit "Submit Times" in order for your solves so far to be saved.
Thanks for the info! That helps a lot.

sigalig

WCA
2016SIGG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Mike,
I just noticed after submitting my multiBLD results for the week that it seems certain parts of the website can't correctly calculate a winner when two people are tied for points. I got 28 points (33/38) in 58:54, and Shivam got 28 points (36/44) in 1:00:00. When I look at my "Weekly View" it says I got 1st place, but when I actually click MultiBLD to see everybody's results, it says I'm 2nd place.
Just a heads up :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Mike,
I just noticed after submitting my multiBLD results for the week that it seems certain parts of the website can't correctly calculate a winner when two people are tied for points. I got 28 points (33/38) in 58:54, and Shivam got 28 points (36/44) in 1:00:00. When I look at my "Weekly View" it says I got 1st place, but when I actually click MultiBLD to see everybody's results, it says I'm 2nd place.
Just a heads up :)
Thanks for this, Graham. I understand the problem now. I was able to fix that individual result by changing Shivam's time to 60:00 instead of 1. Apparently it thought that meant 1 second, not 1 hour. :) I will try to straighten out the code that is causing this sometime in the next couple of days (it appears to allow you to enter 1:00:00, and then treats that as 1 second), and then I'll see if I can go back and clean up any similar problems in the database.

And I suspect that the results in the Weekly View are probably not always correct either - I'll try to make sure that's corrected as well. Thanks again for pointing this out!

Last edited: