Blonk numbers and Center of the Cubieverse

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by Stefan, Apr 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. keemy

keemy Member

Dec 29, 2007
    WCA:
    2006CORR01
    because Blonk competed again :p I am guessing Tim was trying to ask Stefan to update it (all subtle like).

2. Tyson

Tyson Member

Apr 18, 2008
    Burlingame, CA, USA
    WCA:
    2004MAOT02
  3. Tim Reynolds

Tim Reynolds Premium Member

Jun 28, 2006
    Boston, MA
    WCA:
    2005REYN01
    YouTube:
    timbreynolds
    I was just pointing out the fact that Blonk competed. Anyway, he couldn't have updated it at the time because I was too lazy to export the database, so Stefan couldn't have imported the database yet. I'll do that now.

4. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    Hm, now it's a lot more common to have a Blonk number of 2. I would be interested to see the Cubiverse database refreshed.

5. cincyaviation

cincyaviation Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Lawrenceburg, IN
    WCA:
    2010HOVL02
    YouTube:
    ichirofan7
    Your popularity is down 39% this week apparently.

6. anders

anders Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2003LARS01
    This guy has registered for Austrian Open. Finally, we will all be connected :)

7. Cubenovice

Cubenovice Forever Slow

Not to take anything away from mr. Blonk but shouldn't we take "this guy" as the center of the cubieverse?

He's fixing the missing link so I think he deserves it.

8. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I disagree. This guy is a random unknown; the only reason the Dubai competition is unconnected is because cubing is obviously in its very earliest stages in that area of the world, and I think we can expect them to be much more well-connected in a few years, so he won't be important later. But Mr. (van der) Blonk gives us a nice set of coincedences: his name contains all the letters of "Kevin Bacon", and he has been the only one in the database to satisfy this criterion for at least some 7 years; but in addition the last part of his name is similar to that of Mr. Bacon in that it has the same number of letters and starts with the same letter. So I find it much more aesthetically pleasing to talk about Blonk numbers than to talk about Forootani numbers.

9. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Also, "this guy" is guilty of *causing* the problem, so must be punished :D

Oh well, the page is made so that Michiel is only the default center, you can still choose "this guy" or anyone else as the center instead if you want to.

It's a bit of a hack and isn't fully automated yet, I need to find out again how to update it. Have to prepare for my trip to US Nationals now, will update this when I'm back. Indeed the reappearance of Michiel strongly demands an update (although my own Blonk number won't improve, dammit).

10. HelpCube

HelpCube Member

Nov 16, 2009
    My Stackmat
    YouTube:
    HelpCube
    with michiel, my number is 2, because bob burton was at worlds 2005 and i was at a competition with him.

Same thing with lars.

11. Olivér Perge

Olivér Perge Member

Aug 26, 2008
    WCA:
    2007PERG01
    YouTube:
    jesszus
    I'm happy to announce that we have the missing link in the cubeiverze!

Mohammad Forootani from Iran was competing at Austrian Open 2010 and he also took part at Dubai Open 2009. Thank you and congratulations, Mohammad! :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  12. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I think this is a little much to ask!

Mine could stand some improvement, however.

13. JTW2007

JTW2007 BattsMan

Nov 29, 2008
    The BattCave
    WCA:
    2008WARL01
    YouTube:
    2007JTW
    My Blonk, Bruchem, and Vandenbergh numbers are all 2, via Dan Knights.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  14. TeddyKGB

TeddyKGB Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Adrian, MI
    WCA:
    2012DELI01
    If you want a "kevin bacon" as the center of the cubieverse you should consider This guy :D

15. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    Haha, nice find. Too bad he's only been to one competition (and it was a local one).

16. hawkmp4

hawkmp4 Member

May 17, 2008
    The German Open 2010 had a fair number of high-profile people, though.

17. macky

macky Premium Member

Apr 4, 2006
    Stanford, CA
    WCA:
    2003MAKI01
    *bump*

This thing finally got published. I worked on the group-theoretic parts, through Theorem 4.2, one of our main results. It's not deep, but I think the paper motivates it well, and I was pretty proud of the proof. (The result reduces to the infinitude of a certain group, which is proved by constructing a surjection from the proper subgroup onto the whole group. This idea is from the standard proof of the infinitude of the Grigorchuk group, but the construction in our case took a lot more set-up.) Being from two years ago, though, the paper's not representative of my current interests.

So I have Blonk + Erdős = 1 + 5 = 6.

Oh, it looks like it'll take another half a year or so for the paper to get indexed on MathSciNet.

[edit March 17, 2012]
    it took only five months!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  18. Henrik

Henrik Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Fyn, Denmark
    WCA:
    2006BUUS01
    YouTube:
    henrikthedane
    That is great Macky!

I would like to know if this would be updated, it would be interesting to see how it all looks now, if we have all gotten closer in the cubieverse, or if there are larger distances now than before.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  19. Cubenovice

Cubenovice Forever Slow

Unfortunately not; My 2010 WCA ID is still not recognised by the cubieverse

20. Henrik

Henrik Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Fyn, Denmark
    WCA:
    2006BUUS01
    YouTube:
    henrikthedane
    Maybe I didn't ask in the right way, I know its not updated, I tested before asking, I was just wondering if Stefan would be so kind to update it.