• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Block Keeper: Cross platform desktop timer

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hey Dallas!

Quick suggestion: could you make it so that you can copy and paste scrambles from the timer to a document or something? I use Windows 7, in case that matters :)
Unsure about windows 7 but you should be able to select the scramble if you drag over it. Or you could make a quick time, click on the new time and select the scramble from their. Hope that helps

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
Suggestion:
1)Do you planned to add substep scrambles (LL, MU, F2L etc.) I think it is great but not sure if it can be done.:)
2)For the mouse timer, I came up with a better(I hope so)idea just now: Adding an option so
i) Inspection disable on mouse timer
ii) Timer can be start with mouse timer without inspection
ii) If inspection needed, it can be start using spacebar, which can continue using it as normal
I think it is useful in case I want to practice algorithm on mouse timer(which doesn't need inspection) without going into setting and disable the inspection. And when I wanted to use with inspection, I just press spacebar. Same thing can also apply for Stackmat. Also I'm not sure if this can be done.

Another question, my timer settings reset to default itself. No idea what is happeningo_O
Thanks!

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Suggestion:
1)Do you planned to add substep scrambles (LL, MU, F2L etc.) I think it is great but not sure if it can be done.:)
2)For the mouse timer, I came up with a better(I hope so)idea just now: Adding an option so
i) Inspection disable on mouse timer
ii) Timer can be start with mouse timer without inspection
ii) If inspection needed, it can be start using spacebar, which can continue using it as normal
I think it is useful in case I want to practice algorithm on mouse timer(which doesn't need inspection) without going into setting and disable the inspection. And when I wanted to use with inspection, I just press spacebar. Same thing can also apply for Stackmat. Also I'm not sure if this can be done.

Another question, my timer settings reset to default itself. No idea what is happeningo_O
Thanks!
1) I think it's a good idea (at least scrambling to that stage) but my scrambler knowledge is limited and I would need to work on that quite a lot, something I want to do at some point
2) I still feel these are all to specific. Maybe a shortcut to toggle inspection on and off would be more appropriate and generalised.
Did your settings reset once and stay like that? or keep reseting?

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
1) I think it's a good idea (at least scrambling to that stage) but my scrambler knowledge is limited and I would need to work on that quite a lot, something I want to do at some point
2) I still feel these are all to specific. Maybe a shortcut to toggle inspection on and off would be more appropriate and generalised.
Did your settings reset once and stay like that? or keep reseting?
It only reset once and stay like that.:)

Hi DalDal :)

I've downloaded the last update of BlockKeeper like one week ago and I have a little problem on it : when there's only 1 time in a session, I can't delete this time. Before last update it was possible, and the session was empty as wanted, but now the pop-up (which contains OK/+2/DNF... and the scramble) doesn't disappear from the screen, even if I switch to another session or event, that's quite annoying :/ Should I re-download BlockKeeper ? (I run it on Windows 7)

And I have a friend who has also downloaded the last version some days ago, and has another problem. Before the last update it went normally, but after downloading it it runs very slow and sometimes crashes (the soft doesn't react, he can't stop it even with the task manager). Do you know where the problem can come from ? (He runs BlockKeeper on Windows 10 pro)

Hazel

Premium Member
I have a suggestion that would be a cool implementation once you have the time, is there any way of having Block Keeper sense when a stackmat is connected to the computer and have an option of automatically switching to it if it notices one, and when you disconnect it it would switch back to regular timing? This may be hard to implement, though.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hi DalDal :)

I've downloaded the last update of BlockKeeper like one week ago and I have a little problem on it : when there's only 1 time in a session, I can't delete this time. Before last update it was possible, and the session was empty as wanted, but now the pop-up (which contains OK/+2/DNF... and the scramble) doesn't disappear from the screen, even if I switch to another session or event, that's quite annoying :/ Should I re-download BlockKeeper ? (I run it on Windows 7)

And I have a friend who has also downloaded the last version some days ago, and has another problem. Before the last update it went normally, but after downloading it it runs very slow and sometimes crashes (the soft doesn't react, he can't stop it even with the task manager). Do you know where the problem can come from ? (He runs BlockKeeper on Windows 10 pro)

I am aware of the issue and have fixed it. Thanks for pointing this out. I am unaware of any performance issues like that. Do you know what he does before it locks up, or when it locks up?

I have a suggestion that would be a cool implementation once you have the time, is there any way of having Block Keeper sense when a stackmat is connected to the computer and have an option of automatically switching to it if it notices one, and when you disconnect it it would switch back to regular timing? This may be hard to implement, though.

I'll see if it is possible. May or may not be easy but that would be convenient.

On another note. I have been working on Block Keeper 2.0.0 which will switch to a new update system. It will automatically update when available on all platforms. Windows users will install Block Keeper now though. This will also allow for updates to be released much quicker and more regularly. I have finished testing and hope to this version very soon.

Hazel

Premium Member
I am aware of the issue and have fixed it. Thanks for pointing this out. I am unaware of any performance issues like that. Do you know what he does before it locks up, or when it locks up?

I'll see if it is possible. May or may not be easy but that would be convenient.

On another note. I have been working on Block Keeper 2.0.0 which will switch to a new update system. It will automatically update when available on all platforms. Windows users will install Block Keeper now though. This will also allow for updates to be released much quicker and more regularly. I have finished testing and hope to this version very soon.
That's awesome!! Thank you for all this work, we all really appreciate it :D

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Block Keeper 2.0.0 has been released with a new release system and automated updates.
https://dallasmcneil.com/projects/blockkeeper/

- New release system
- Automated updates
- Various bug fixes

Once the new version has been downloaded, it will update automatically when new versions are available. Windows users will need to install Block Keeper now for this to occur, however it is much easier than before.

This has been a long overdue system and has been a major pain point. Now updates can be released more frequently and be available to you with minimal hassle. I have also wanted to decentralise the project from myself for it's longevity. Almost everything is now open source and maintainable by the community. The next step would to be set-up an external site to host the project page.

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
White flashing bar on top of the windows.
Is this bug or something to do with my computer? (Not latest version) Thanks.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
It doesn't look like an issue with Block Keeper. It looks like a graphics issue with your computer which occurs when the app is shown. I would try updating your OS or any drivers if possible and see if they fixes it. On a side note, if everything is a bit big for your screen, use 'Window > Zoom out' to shrink the UI. Looks a bit cramped. :)

a3533

YouTube
Visit Channel
It doesn't look like an issue with Block Keeper. It looks like a graphics issue with your computer which occurs when the app is shown. I would try updating your OS or any drivers if possible and see if they fixes it. On a side note, if everything is a bit big for your screen, use 'Window > Zoom out' to shrink the UI. Looks a bit cramped. :)
Thanks for your suggestion!;)

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Block Keeper 2.0.0 has been released with a new release system and automated updates.
https://dallasmcneil.com/projects/blockkeeper/
Just installed the new (Windows) version and, much to my surprise, it didn't ask where I wanted the application installed. When I went looking, I found that it had installed in a very much non-standard location (appdata\local) instead of under \Program Files or \Program Files(x86). As a result, not only was it installed onto a drive I didn't even want it on, it didn't replace the version I already had installed. Not good. Really not good.

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Just installed the new (Windows) version and, much to my surprise, it didn't ask where I wanted the application installed. When I went looking, I found that it had installed in a very much non-standard location (appdata\local) instead of under \Program Files or \Program Files(x86). As a result, not only was it installed onto a drive I didn't even want it on, it didn't replace the version I already had installed. Not good. Really not good.

I am not familiar with Windows and installers. I used default settings with the packager which I would have assumed would install everything in a common place. It looks like that is the install location when using Squirrel.Windows because it doesn't require any user/system permissions. Their philosophy is simple one-click installs, which I like. It is possible to include an installer to set the location, however I'm unsure how this will work with existing installations and this will also require additional work for me to build and release, which I am trying to minimise. I'm sorry that this has caused trouble for you but I am not willing to change the system right now.

Optionally, you can run from source or build a standalone copy. https://github.com/DallasMcNeil/Block-Keeper

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
One-click installers for Windows are very much non-standard. I don't know that I've ever had a program install itself without at least telling me where it's installing.

I understand your not wanting to change but I'll be uninstalling.

M

Mano

Hey, I have a little problem,
I added a new event to block keeper, but when I tried to switch to this event the times of my 3x3 session stayed, I tried to switch to other events and the times stayed the ones from my 3x3 session. So I quitted the app, and restarted it. But then this message shows, and none of the session/times shows up.
Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 21.50.34.pngScreen Shot 2018-05-12 at 21.50.44.png

DalDal

WCA
2017MCNE01
Hey, I have a little problem,
I added a new event to block keeper, but when I tried to switch to this event the times of my 3x3 session stayed, I tried to switch to other events and the times stayed the ones from my 3x3 session. So I quitted the app, and restarted it. But then this message shows, and none of the session/times shows up.
If you create a new event, it will be empty, no sessions will be moved to it. Looks like something happened to your data though, can you do two things?
1) Go to 'Toggle > show dev tools' and send any error messages (in red) to [email protected] you see on the right
2) Could you go to finder and in the 'go' menu, hold option and click 'library'. Then navigate to 'Application support' and 'Block Keeper' and send puzzles.json and puzzlesBackup.json to me at [email protected]
This would be really helpful for me incase there is an issue and I can help you with your times. Thanks