Blindfold Accomplishment Thread

Discussion in 'Blindsolving Discussion' started by qqwref, Oct 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    I don't see one stickied already, so why not :) Post any blindfold or multi-blindfold accomplishments here that you want, especially if you want to keep them separate from the normal speed accomplishments. Please post hundredths if you have them, I'm making a multiple blindfold record list, and I'm interested in getting as many decimal places as you have :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2014
  2. edd5190

edd5190 Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    WCA:
    2007ADSU01
    YouTube:
    edd5190
    Whoohoo! First 2 cubes BLD done in 8:47.75 mins. Though on the second cube, only half of the edges were mispermuted. Is that lucky?

3. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Unless I am wrong I believe I am the first to successfully solve the 6x6x6 cube blindfolded. I know my time will be destroyed in short order by Matyas or Daniel Beyer or someone once the Olympicubes come out, but I am happy to be the first!

Chris

4. will probably contradict
    . The Olympic cubes have been "almost" on the market for years now. Some people think they will never be available.

I am really glad you got it so soon. I saw your first attempt in the lobby of the Novotel and was pleasantly surprised by your happy reaction when you got it "almost". If I would have been so close after all that time I would have probably been either mad or sad about not getting it.

5. Jack

Jack Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Aurora, Ontario
    WCA:
    2007MOSE02
    YouTube:
    Jackwm64
    Finally finding a memory system I am good at (letters for EP, visual for the rest) in BLD, on my first try I got 3:18.77 (previous record was 4:37)! Also sub 30 average in OH, sub 18 in 3x3x3. I also just got my first sub 1 min. solve on the 4x4x4, which I am really happy about. Also a pretty fast speed BLD solve. Also a sub 30 fewest moves. Yes, I have made a lot of accomplishments recently! :)

6. edd5190

edd5190 Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Seattle, Washington
    WCA:
    2007ADSU01
    YouTube:
    edd5190
    2:46 BLD in front of a couple people at a party, then later a OH BLD in 5:35.
    Visitors just got here so I might do another one in a bit:)

7. Hubdra

Hubdra Member

Mar 12, 2007
    I just completed my first BLD solve ever, 3:46.41 on a 2x2 :D I can't wait to work my way up to 3x3 lol

8. adragast

adragast Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Stavanger, Norway
    I just solved my first 3x3 cube blindfolded this week end. I did not even time it, I was so sure I would mix it up...

9. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    My first time going under 20 minutes on a 4x4x4 BLD solve. For this week's competition. (19:50.70 - I just barely made it.) For a long time this seemed like an impossible barrier to break, so it's nice to finally break it. Next I have to go for sub-15 minutes. (That's going to be LOTS harder.) I did both 4x4x4 BLD solves back to back (and got them both :)), only taking enough time to perform the second scramble in between. It's interesting - I find it much easier to do the second one when I do two in a row. Any problems with confusion of memory are more than overcome by the fact that figuring out where the pieces are supposed to go is still fresh in my mind, and therefore easier.

I realize that this still means that Chris will beat me by at least a factor of 3 (and if Mátyás competes, he might even beat me by a factor of 4!), but hey, it's good for me. :D

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  10. Congrats Mike, that is amazing! I think that if you are in the factor 3-to-4 range of Mátiás and can do 100% success rate in a competition you are among the worlds best!

11. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    Oops - it looks like I spoke too soon. Mátyás easily exceeded 4 times my speed (on the exact same scramble), and it looks quite possible he could beat me by a factor of 5 on a lucky scramble now. :)

But thanks - it did feel really good to do it.

12. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Hey Mike,

Congrats on sub-20 for 4x4 BLD! I remember that being a very big barrier to break for me as well. From what I remember though it's not too hard after the first sub-20, with some practice, to get consistently sub-20 for 4x4 BLD. Also sub-15 is not as far away as you might think. Just improve your memo by 2:30 and your solving by 2:30. I know that may sound like a lot right at first, but it's not like improving a speed solve solution by 5 minutes. Just improve each stage (memo and execution) by half the amount you want to improve overall. Makes it easier to think about that way.

Seriously though congratulations! That is a big milestone to pass!

Chris

13. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Arnaud by your criteria only Matyas can be counted among the world's best. Although that is obvious it is still discouraging for everyone else practicing big cube BLD ;-)

Seriously though I still don't think people realize exactly how much faster Matyas is at BLD than everyone else. The best comparison I can make is someone winning the world competition main event by an average of 6.23 seconds.

Although it is easy for Matyas, for us regular humans I think a 100% success rate on the bigger cubes is exceedingly difficult, much more so than the 3x3x3. That is just my opinion of course. Right now, simply solving a 4x4x4 BLD successfully in competition puts you in the top 10 all time. Food for thought.

Chris

14. joey

joey Member

Apr 8, 2007
    WCA:
    2007GOUL01
    YouTube:
    cardologist
    I certainly do. Sub-40 for 3x3 BLD. That is fast, very fast. Other people hope for that for memo.

Remember, unfortuneatly Matyas did DNF a 5x5 BLD at WC 07.

I am hungry!

15. tim

tim Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    WCA:
    2007HABE01
    YouTube:
    cin9247
    Done 3 cubes blindfolded on a stackmat timer. sub-7 should be possible with more practice.

16. I only said that if you fit those criteria, I consider someone to be among the best of the world. I never said that you couldn't be among the best of the world if you don't fit those criteria. Let me give some other criteria:
    If you can solve > 10 cubes on multiple blind (13 out of 14): You are among the best.
    If you can solve a > 5x5x5 (6x6x6): You are among the best.
    If you can do an average of 12 (only 1 or no DNF): You are among the best.
    Any other criteria?

Well, than Mátyás is a regular human because he has a 100% on 3x3x3, but not on 5x5x5.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2014
  17. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    Hi Arnaud, if I came across as upset or anything that wasn't my intent, I just thought it was funny that your original criteria only included Matyas ;-) It does seem though, at least officially, that at least one successful solve for either 4x4 or 5x5 BLD puts you in the World's best. This may change as big cube BLD becomes more popular, but at least for official competitions the standard is for success right now rather than time or accuracy rate.

Also though if you look at István Kocza and count his more recent 4x4x4 BLD solves you can count him as well since he currently has a 100% success rate for 4x4 BLD.

But he does have a 100% success rate on 4x4x4 BLD which I think is incredible. Also Bernett Orlando and Yumu Tabuchi each have a 100% success rate on the big cubes but they have only officially done 1 attempt.

Either way I still think 100% success rate is incredible on the bigger cubes, even if it's not the 5x5x5.

Chris

18. tim

tim Member

Nov 22, 2006
    Karlsruhe, Germany
    WCA:
    2007HABE01
    YouTube:
    cin9247
    solved 6 3x3x3 + 1 2x2x2 blindfolded in 32:34.96 minutes. 20 minutes memorization.
    two (ugly :)) pictures, right before and after the attempt

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  19. joey

joey Member

Apr 8, 2007
    WCA:
    2007GOUL01
    YouTube:
    cardologist
    I know at the time of speaking I am talking to you on MSN, but I want everyone to understand how great I think this is!

20. Just to be sure: You did those 6 3x3x3 blindfolded also? :)
    More serious: If you did them like multiple blind, not like 6 times a single blindfold, that is astonishing!