• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BLD - Letter Pair Generator

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
very cool!
Got this for edges: PO TH DB MF HE MX R
For most letter schemes these would not come up in normal memo since they are the same piece. Any way to account for this?

Last edited:

ryanj92

WCA
2012JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
this is cool! it's something i kind of wanted to have a crack at doing at some point, but i never got round to it...

this just generates random pairs, right? (i got the same pair twice in one memo) the reason i never really got around to doing this is that i wanted a way of generating a 'realistic' 3BLD memo - so it would use the right number of letters, include cycle breaks and flipped pieces, etc.
i mean at this point you may as well just practise memo on a scrambled cube, but i wanted to see if it was possible to do :p

suggestions:
- some way of inputting what your buffer letters are, so impossible letters never appear.
- maybe generate fewer pairs. i generated roughly 25 memos and never got one shorter than 11 letter pairs, which seems a little excessive...

WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
very cool!
For most letter schemes these would not come up in normal memo since they are the same piece. Any way to account for this?

I can see that coming up if you had to just twist that corner. As if (Red in front and Yellow on top) That corner was in the current place, but had Orange facing up instead of white?

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
very cool!

Only by your letter scheme. People use different letter schemes, for me those are different pieces. I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but it really annoys me when people do that.
You too Viola.

Edit: Also, why would it even matter if it doesn't make sense? (Even though it does make sense, as viola said, twisted edge) It's just for memo practice, it doesn't have to work on a cube.

Edit2: This is pretty cool Pixelwizard, it looks really nice, I'll probably end up using this. I don't suppose you'd add another longer one for 4BLD wings/centers?

Edit3: I'm not sure if this is an issue, but IMO, the corner LP's are a bit too long. When there's an even number they seem to average around 8, 10 letters which is alright, but when they're odd, they seem to usually be 11 letters, or even 13. I understand that you could get a 13 Letter case, but it's extremely rare. Maybe turn them down to 7-9 on average? Doing a test I got several cases with 13, but only a couple that were 9.

Last edited:

sk8erman41

WCA
2015BURK01
Only by your letter scheme. People use different letter schemes, for me those are different pieces. I'm sorry if I came across as rude, but it really annoys me when people do that.
You too Viola.

This is true, but its impossible to create a system that works for every single persons orientation and/or lettering scheme unless it was customized by the user. When creating a general system I would think that it would make the most sense to use a Speffz scheme as the majority of users would utilize that style of scheme. Plus I did say "FOR MOST" and didn't say that this would be universally true.

Last edited:

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
This is true, but its impossible to create a system that works for every single persons orientation and/or lettering scheme unless it was customized by the user. When creating a general system I would think that it would make the most sense to use a Speffz scheme as the majority of users would utilize that style of scheme. Plus I did say "FOR MOST" and didn't say that this would be universally true.

Exactly I understand that it won't work for everyone, but it doesn't matter anyway. I was just annoyed because I see people say things like, "oh, just move the OB to EF" and that really annoys me.

Perhaps adding a checklist where you can mark which letters you want to appear would work. So for speffz you can just uncheck A, E, R, Y and Z (for corners) and the generator wouldn't include any of those letters, but you could include them for other lettering schemes or for bigBLD practice. Seems to me like the easiest way to improve functionality. Anyway, cool tool.

PixelWizard

WCA
2014PETE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
very cool!

The Generator just generates random letter-pairs. I built in simple rules (like never generate 2 consecutive letters etc.) but it doesn't actually follows logical cubing rules, because the letter scheme may differ as well as the method etc.

this is cool! it's something i kind of wanted to have a crack at doing at some point, but i never got round to it...

this just generates random pairs, right? (i got the same pair twice in one memo) the reason i never really got around to doing this is that i wanted a way of generating a 'realistic' 3BLD memo - so it would use the right number of letters, include cycle breaks and flipped pieces, etc.
i mean at this point you may as well just practise memo on a scrambled cube, but i wanted to see if it was possible to do :p

suggestions:
- some way of inputting what your buffer letters are, so impossible letters never appear.
- maybe generate fewer pairs. i generated roughly 25 memos and never got one shorter than 11 letter pairs, which seems a little excessive...

So the buffer-suggestion is really good! I have to think about it first, but I may implement it.

The Corner-Memo is now shorter. It was 6-8 letter pairs (plus sometimes a parity letter), now it goes from 5 to 7 letter pairs, which makes a big difference.

You too Viola.

Edit: Also, why would it even matter if it doesn't make sense? (Even though it does make sense, as viola said, twisted edge) It's just for memo practice, it doesn't have to work on a cube.

Edit2: This is pretty cool Pixelwizard, it looks really nice, I'll probably end up using this. I don't suppose you'd add another longer one for 4BLD wings/centers?

Edit3: I'm not sure if this is an issue, but IMO, the corner LP's are a bit too long. When there's an even number they seem to average around 8, 10 letters which is alright, but when they're odd, they seem to usually be 11 letters, or even 13. I understand that you could get a 13 Letter case, but it's extremely rare. Maybe turn them down to 7-9 on average? Doing a test I got several cases with 13, but only a couple that were 9.

You're totally right about the It's just memo practice :)

Maybe I'll do something like this when I learn 4BLD. I mostly make my tools, to train myself and then I always end up sharing it and stuff haha

Yeah Corner LPs are now shorter (reduced it from 6-8 to 5-7)

This.

Perhaps adding a checklist where you can mark which letters you want to appear would work. So for speffz you can just uncheck A, E, R, Y and Z (for corners) and the generator wouldn't include any of those letters, but you could include them for other lettering schemes or for bigBLD practice. Seems to me like the easiest way to improve functionality. Anyway, cool tool.

This would be a pretty large checklist.

Thanks to all for the awesome responses :)

Here's a short list of things who have the highest chance to be implemented.

- List of times
- Customizable Buffer-Piece
- Customizable Letter Pair Length

penguinz7

WCA
2015RAME01
The Generator just generates random letter-pairs. I built in simple rules (like never generate 2 consecutive letters etc.) but it doesn't actually follows logical cubing rules, because the letter scheme may differ as well as the method etc.

So the buffer-suggestion is really good! I have to think about it first, but I may implement it.

The Corner-Memo is now shorter. It was 6-8 letter pairs (plus sometimes a parity letter), now it goes from 5 to 7 letter pairs, which makes a big difference.

You're totally right about the It's just memo practice :)

Maybe I'll do something like this when I learn 4BLD. I mostly make my tools, to train myself and then I always end up sharing it and stuff haha

Yeah Corner LPs are now shorter (reduced it from 6-8 to 5-7)

This.

This would be a pretty large checklist.

Thanks to all for the awesome responses :)

Here's a short list of things who have the highest chance to be implemented.

- List of times
- Customizable Buffer-Piece
- Customizable Letter Pair Length

Thank you!! This thing is really awesome.