• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

BLD FAQ (Do yourself a favor and read this)

Noahaha

blindmod
WCA
2012ARTH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
As someone who reads a lot of random posts/comments about BLD, I am somewhat annoyed by seeing the same questions over and over and over and over and over again, so this is sort of a beginner's guide to stuff that you should know about BLD and not ask questions about. I'm going to start with really basic stuff and end with more technical stuff.

(This is everything I can think of right now. Tell me if I've forgotten anything.)

What do the different acronyms with "BLD" mean?

BLD = Blindsolving in general, can also refer to 3BLD
3BLD = 3x3 Blindfolded
4BLD = 4x4 Blindfolded
5BLD = 5x5 Blindfolded
NBLD = NxN Blindfolded
MBLD = Multiple Blindfolded

Ok wait... so 3BLD does not mean doing a multiple blindfolded solve with 3 cubes?

That is correct

How can you even solve a cube blindfolded? I mean, isn't that impossible?

In a blindfolded solve you look at the cube first and memorize it, then you solve it.

How could you possibly trace that many moves in your head?

You don't. BLDers use algorithms that only affect a few pieces at a time. You really only memorize where the pieces start.

But don't I need a photographic memory for that?

Nope.

Yeah, but my memory is actually really bad. I can't even remember my own phone number.

I have great news for you! You can improve your memory dramatically by training it. BLD is a great way to do that. You don't need that good of a memory to start out with, because good memory techniques make 3BLD fairly easy.

Alright, you've convinced me to learn BLD, but where do I learn it from?

From me, of course.

How long do you get to look at the cube before you start solving?

As long as you want! However, that is part of your total time. The timer starts when you start looking at the cube and ends once you've put on the blindfold and solved it.

Do I need a blindsolving method? Can't I just use CFOP and track the pieces?

It will take much longer to memorize if you try to trace all of the pieces through a normal method. Speed methods are good for Speed BLD, which is an unofficial event where the memorization time doesn't count. Be prepared to spend a lot of time tracing the pieces though. It's much easier to learn a BLD method.

What are the differences between the 3BLD methods?

Old Pochmann/OP - Probably the easiest method for edges and corners. Solves one piece at a time and only requires three algorithms.
3OP - Orient pieces, then permute in 3-cycles. The original fast BLD method. Fairly difficult to use and not that much faster than M2/OP.
M2 - Much faster version of Old Pochmann edges. Requires a few more algs, but not any harder to use.
R2 - Faster version of Old Pochmann corners. It's much harder to use than OP corners. Most people don't recommend it.
Turbo - Mainly a method for edges. Generally considered as fast as M2. Not too many algs either, but a steeper learning curve.
3-style/BH/3-cycles/commutators - Using (conjugated) commutators to solve two pieces at a time in cycles of three. For 3x3 requires 819 algorithms. They are intuitive though, so you don't memorize them really.

What's the difference between 3-style, BH, 3-cycles and commutators?

These terms are used pretty much interchangeably, but BH refers specifically to being move optimal for every case. It is generally considered slower to limit yourself to being move optimal.

What about memorization? Are there different methods for that too?

Of course! Most of them are bad though. Always use letter pairs always. Seriously. If you want BLD to be easy and fun rather than slow and annoying, use letter pairs.

Here are some videos and some text.

What letter scheme should I use?

Whatever scheme you want! As long as it makes sense to you, it will eventually become automatic.

A lot of people use Speffz, but only because it's convenient to have one scheme that lots of people use.

Can't I use numbers though?

You can, but it's bad because no letter pairs.

Ok, but what are the different ways to use letter pairs?

Sentences - Make each letter pair into a word, and work the words into sentences.
Images - Like sentences, but you are imagining them happening very vividly.
Audio - Make each letter pair into a syllable, and then repeat the string of syllables in your head a bunch of times.

Images
Images and Sounds

How do I even parity?

Parity happens when you have an odd number of targets. In 3BLD, an odd number of edge targets always means you have an odd number of corner targets. Whatever tutorial you learned from should cover parity. If it doesn't, it's a bad tutorial.

How do I learn big BLD?

My tutorial
Daniel's Tutorial
Corey's tutorial

How do you memorize for MBLD and Big BLD?

LOCI!

Loci Tutorial

Should I solve corners first, or edges first?

Personal preference.

What about solving order for big BLD?

Also personal preference.

I can't get a success!!!!!?! What do I do?????!?

Do lots of sighted solves. Memorize, and then solve without putting on the blindfold. That will help you figure out where your mistakes are.

I can't get faster!!! What do I do???

Push your memo, eliminate pauses during execution. Only learn a faster method if you're executing without pauses. If you pause with a slower method, a faster method will only make your pauses longer.

How do I get an awesome custom blindfold?

Here (only $6)

How do you even learn 3-style?

My written tutorial
My video tutorial

How do I choose what cycle to use for each case?

Speed. Try not to rotate too much. More moves with no rotation is usually better than fewer moves with a rotation.

How do I memorize 819 algorithms though?

You don't. Cycles are intuitive, like F2L cases. The better your understanding of commutators is, the easier it will be to build your list.

Where can I find other people's lists of cycles?

You should be coming up with your own algs for the most part, but in case you need help with a tricky cycle:

My UBL Corners
Marcell's Everything (DFR, DF, DFr, ulf, uf)
AronPM's DF Edges (in this letter scheme)
Riffz's UBL corners and DF edges
Ollie's DFr wings
Skarrie's UF Edges
BH Edges (UR)
BH Corners (UBR)
Lucarubik's UB Edges and UBL Corners

(Please tell me if I missed any)

I AM SO CONFUSED! CAN I BE SPOON-FED EVERYTHING?

NO! THERE ARE A LOT OF THINGS YOU'RE JUST GOING TO HAVE TO FIGURE OUT FOR YOURSELF!

(It's better for you in the long run)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19792

Ooh oOh I have a question teacher!

How do you know when you are ready to start solving the cube blindfolded

pic my question pwetty preese!

J

Jander Clerix

1) I just learned 3 style but i'm using Ufr as buffer and i see that the most people use ubr or ubl as buffer is it really a disadvantage when using ufr and should i better switch to Ubl or ubr because for urf there is also no algorithm list on the net