Big cube outer layer catching

Discussion in 'One-Answer Question Forum' started by Aserian, Aug 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Aserian

Aserian Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Hey guys, just got into big cubes and have been having some issues with the outer layers catching (not full locks for the most part) quite a bit. They are new cubes so I am still working them in. Will these catches slowly go away over time or is it indicative of a cube that is too tight/loose or underlubed? (no lube in them yet while I break them in).

Do big cubes require more/less time to break in?

Thanks for your time!

2. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    What types of cubes do you have? You mimht just have bad models.

3. Aserian

Aserian Member

Jul 23, 2017
    My 4x4 is the QiYi Wuque and my 5x5 is the QiYi WuShuang. I have the "budget" Yuxin cloud 5x5 as well, which seems to actually catch less than the WuShuang

4. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    Oh. What are the tensions and setup on the cube? Howere, I use both the Wuque and the Qushuang as my mains, and non of them catch, so I think it just has to do with break-in/setup/tensions.

Draranor likes this.
  5. Aserian

Aserian Member

Jul 23, 2017
    I've got it set up to corner cut at 1 cubie, is this too loose/tight? And yeah, I haven't had a chance to fully break it in/lube it so that could be the issue too. Just that every review I read is like "right out of the box it's great, no catching, yada yada", so it makes me think either A) they're being paid to say it or B) my big tension skills are not as refined as my 3x3.

6. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    an you post a picture of the tensions? How did you lube it?

7. Aserian

Aserian Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Not sure how to post a picture of tensions? Also I heard you're supposed to break it in before lubing so it's not lubed yet, do you have a recommendation on which lube to use for big cubes?

8. Competition Cuber

Competition Cuber Member

Jun 2, 2017
    Planet Earth
    Silk and DNM. 2 drops of silk on each layer (2 on outer, 2 on inner), and 3 drops on each layer for DNM

9. Malkom

Malkom Member

May 22, 2016
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2016ANDE17
    YouTube:
    channel/UCSCZ2BsupnT5FoxOMNOf_kQ
    I think it's mainly due to your turning style. It's easy to misalign the layers which will cause lockups, if you learn how to turn properly (something I'm still trying to learn) the cubes are amazing.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Ordway Persyn likes this.
  10. Ordway Persyn

Ordway Persyn Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Mimal the Elf's boot
    WCA:
    2016PERS01
    YouTube:
    spaz cuber
    +1, sometimes I see people blame hardware instead of themselves. You just have to do some solves to adjust to the turning of big cubes, as they require more accuracy.

11. Aserian

Aserian Member

Jul 23, 2017
    Awesome thanks everyone! I'll keep practicing and lube up.