• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Best Rubik's Brand cube

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
How do you know you didn't just get lucky? Knowing how quality can vary from cube to cube when you get a store bought Rubik's cube, I would take your endorsement with a grain of salt if it's only based on one cube.

Currently my best cube came from a batch of 25th anniversary cubes that came in the clear plastic hexagonal packaging. I got a bunch from a toy store (I bought all the cubes in stock that day :p). Before selling them to my students, I opened them up and tested them. Most were moderately good at best, but one was amazing, straight out of the box. I of course kept that one for myself.

cwdana

Hah. Sounds like me.

And a good point that you raise. How do I know I didn't get lucky? Well, because I've ordered about 8-10 from this same vendor.

First, I ordered just one. And it was great. So I ordered 4 more. And the majority of those were great too. Maybe one was a little tighter than the others, but after lube, they were all a breeze.

Just recently ordered 4 more and all of them were great out of box. Added the lube and they were dreamy.

And I don't have students to give them to, so I gave them to friends. In fact, I just mailed one to my sister for her birthday (turning 15 on April 15th - tax day :( )

Last edited:

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
Interesting. Has anyone ever gotten a bad cube off of Amazon? I ordered my first real cube from Amazon after literally cubing a cheap keychain cube to death. That one (I think it was a Winning Moves cube) was my best cube for about 3 years.

abbracadiabra

I, also, have a Mr. Magorium Wonder Emporium Rubik's cube, and I was pleasantly surprised at how light weight it was and how easily it turned. But I think my very best Rubik's brand cube was a 25th Anniversary cube - the kind that had silver stickers instead of white.

I'm inclined to agree with Shelley that Rubik's cubes just aren't very consistent. You can get lucky and get a great one, or you can get one that needs steel reinforced fingers to turn. And you never know which you've got until you buy it and open up the package.

cwdana

I haven't had the chance to get my hands on a 25th anniversary. I'd like to. Do they still sell them? Or were they just an '05 thing?

I have had a regular Rubik's brand and packaged cube. It was my first one (in many years). Bought on an impulse at a CVS around Christmas this past year. Horrible. Even with lube. Can't cut corners and is relegated to the bottom of the pile of cubes I've acquired.

So I'd still say for a relatively inexpensive Rubik's brand cube, even with the variability between the cubes, Mr. Magorium's is where it's at.

With 10+ of them sitting on my shelf, bought at various times, I'd like to think my luck was more than just luck.

abbracadiabra

Yeah, cwdana, 10+ really good cubes in the same packaging is a good indicator that there might be a little more than luck involved. Come to think of it, maybe I shoud pick up a few of those Mr. Magorium cubes before they disappear like the 25th Anniversary ones did.