• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

Hazel

Premium Member
I agree with everyone else, play around with those 3 methods for a while each to see which one you enjoy most, then stick with that one.

H2cuber

What I mean is I am looking for a way to possibly learn algs to speed up the different layers at a time instead of suddenly starting from scratch. Does anyone know what I mean? If so, is what i'm looking for possible?

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
Well, basic beginner's method is similar to CFOP; you build a cross, put your edges and corners in (inserting the corner and edge together, not apart), then getting your top color all facing upwards (which is called Orientation, or OLL), then moving those pieces around (which is called "permuting" the top layer; this step is called PLL). Full OLL contains 57 cases, and Full PLL contains 21 cases, but you can learn a two look variant for each of the steps, shortening the step into less than 10 algorithms for each step.

So my advice: starting working on building your cross on the bottom, and inserting F2L pairs (your corner and edge) into the slots. J Perm on YouTube has awesome videos, and one of them is on Intuitive F2L. you should check it out! Let me know if you have anymore questions!

BCuberYT

What's a quite obscure but great 3x3 method I can use? I tried to learn CFOP, but it didn't feel right for me. Any method that's decently easy and fast to use and learn would be appreciated. I use beginners method/layer by layer at the moment

WCA
2017WENR01
What's a quite obscure but great 3x3 method I can use? I tried to learn CFOP, but it didn't feel right for me. Any method that's decently easy and fast to use and learn would be appreciated. I use beginners method/layer by layer at the moment
Roux, ZZ , Human Thistlethwate, Waterman, LMCF, Heise
These are all different from LBL
If it’s the OLL and PLL that bothers you go with CFCE

Palmtop Tiger

What didn't feel right about CFOP for you?
If it is the relatively high algorithm count, you might like something like ZZ-reduction. It's only 16 algs for a complete 2 look last layer. And it's a good stepping-stone for ZZ-b, ZZ with ocll and (full) pll or even CFOP.
If you are specifically looking for obscure and easy to learn methods that are completely different from CFOP you could also give something like PORT a try. The problem with obscure methods is that you won't find tutorials that are aimed at beginners. You will have to look through documentation that is written for people that already have a good knowledge about cubing methods. Sticking to one of the big 4 is probably easiest as they have good tutorials and are fast.

SlowCuber969

I just went from Beginners Method to Roux, does anyone know any videos about how to break bad habits from Beginners Method?

Duncan Bannon

Critical Cubing has a good Roux tutorial series if that helps any. Just only solve roux and don't do any beginners method solves.

Or do you mean like not solve the first 1X2X3 with corner then edge? I can't help you there :(

Rubix Noob

I want to try Petrus, but I can't find any good tutorials. Does anyone know of one? (The Youtube link doesn't work, but I prefer video tutorials)

Hi!
Recently, I've been interested by the waterman method, a speedsolving method with the following steps (I've slightly changed the steps from classic waterman):
Solve one layer except one edge with blockbuilding (1 roux block on botton + 2 corners)
Solve the last layer corners with CLL
Hold the CLL on your right and solve three edges of that layer
Do LSE like in roux

Do you think this is any good ? Do you think this is comparable with other speedsolving methods ?
Thanks !