• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Beginner's Guide to Choosing a Speedsolving Method

dboeren

I don't think that's what he meant. I'm reading it as "first block is more of a head-start towards the rest of the solve than cross". It's better in the sense that it's a bigger step towards the finish line.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think being limited with what edges you can pair up makes it more than a second though.

However the 3x3 stage is quite good with Roux so I think the overall disadvantage is maybe a second.

Once you get used to it, its pretty easy. Most of the time, I dont even pair edges then attach the corner. mostly, I pair the corner with the edge and the add the other edge (other than DL edge of course).

dominugget

Hello.

I would consider myself still pretty much a beginner speedcuber who's open to the idea of learning a different method (barely sub-1:00 on 3x3 with CFOP and not particularly attached to it). After reading the guide and skimming through the rest of this thread, there's one thing which was only briefly touched on, which is the 3x3 stage on bigger cubes.

From what I gather, Roux is out of the question because of all the M moves, and most people use CFOP. But what would be the pros and cons of CFOP vs. ZZ or Petrus for this purpose? Or does it really matter?

Is "effectiveness for 3x3 stage on big cubes" a crucial factor to consider for someone who would like to become a decent all-around speedcuber, or is it not that big of a deal?

Actually, just because Roux is on of the lesser used speed solving methods doesn't mean it's any less good. People can still be sub10 with roux, and it's only taken me a week to learn roux until I became sub 40. It's very easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm not saying its necessarily harder to get fast with, but you will be alone very often and have to figure out what to improve yourself.

Personally, I would actually see this as a good thing in the I long run.

To clarify, if a cuber really wants to get fast, eventually they will reach a speed that very, very few people have ever attained and from there they will always have to work pretty much by themselves, working out what they need to improve on by themselves.

In addition, working through by themselves will sometimes lead to some great insight into the cube that could lead to benefits for many people and possibly all the cubers that follow.

Jgldrums

I only know the beginner's method, but I would eventually like to learn CFOP. Do you know any good methods to learn before learning CFOP?

WCA
2013BARK01
I only know the beginner's method, but I would eventually like to learn CFOP. Do you know any good methods to learn before learning CFOP?

There are multiple variants of the Beginner's Method. It will be easier to learn CFOP if your last layer is in this order:
Orient Edges (make cross on top)
Orient Corners (finish top face)
Permute Corners (move corner pieces to their correct position)
Permute Edges (finish cube, move edge pieces to their correct position)
If you solve the last layer like that or similarly, what I would first suggest is an intermediate LL (last layer) method called 4-look last layer (4LLL). This method requires 16 algorithms total, many of which are based off of others.

Here's an example: (scramble yellow on top, red in front) R' U2 R2 U R2 U F R F L F L' F U'
There should be a Y shape of yellow pieces that is turned 135 degrees counterclockwise. If you have this, then you did the right scramble.
Parentheses around a single move indicates that it is a premove and not part of the algorithm.
(U) F U R U' R' F' // Orient edges
(U') R U R' U R U2 R' // Orient corners
// Permutation of corners unnecessary
R2 U R U R' U' R' U' R U R' (U') Permute edges