• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Bay Area Unofficial Competition

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, I am Nathaniel.

I live in Marin County, and I was thinking of hosting an unofficial competition in Marin. This is still in the VERY early planning phase, so I thought I'd start at square-1.

The competition would be called "Bay Area Big Cube Fiesta" or something along those lines.

The definite events would be 4x4-7x7, mostly because Big Cubes (5x5+) don't get very much love here in Northern California. However, if enough people would like to do 3x3 and 2x2, they may become events.

So what I want you to do is post if you are interested in coming, what dates DON'T work for you, and what events you would like to see happen. Also, if you could judge/scramble, that would be very helpful.

Once again, this competition is Unofficial, probably will happen, but has a small chance of not happening, and will be the first competition that the brand new Marin Cube Club will hold.

Thank you for your consideration!

Last edited:

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why not official? Adam Zamora ([email protected]), Dan Dzoan ([email protected]), & Leyan Lo ([email protected]) are all delegates who are in the California area, I'm sure one of them could make it.

Mostly because I've never organized a competition. I would host an official one after this if this one runs smoothly. Could a delegate give me some guidelines for hosting a competition?

I'm not a delegate but, this might help. Also I don't think there's anything different about an official competition besides the fact you need a delegate & you get a bigger turnout.

ianini

WCA
2009JONE03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why not official? Adam Zamora ([email protected]), Dan Dzoan ([email protected]), & Leyan Lo ([email protected]) are all delegates who are in the California area, I'm sure one of them could make it.

Mostly because I've never organized a competition. I would host an official one after this if this one runs smoothly. Could a delegate give me some guidelines for hosting a competition?

http://www.cubewhiz.com/competition.html
It's your friend.

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's your friend.

I read that, and I also thought that I should try to see how many people would be interested in going. I know of about 9 people that could come, and I'm shooting for 20+

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's your friend.

I read that, and I also thought that I should try to see how many people would be interested in going. I know of about 9 people that could come, and I'm shooting for 20+
Officiality would probably triple that if not more.

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

It's your friend.

Officiality would probably triple that if not more.

Ok. So I think I'll stay with unofficial. That said, anyone else interested in coming? I could host it in a more reachable area, right now it would probably be in Mill Valley, which is about 30 minutes north of San Francisco

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok. So I think I'll stay with unofficial. That said, anyone else interested in coming? I could host it in a more reachable area, right now it would probably be in Mill Valley, which is about 30 minutes north of San Francisco

People are willing to travel for a competition 30 minutes won't make much of a difference. Just so you know, 27>20, & 27>9.

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel

People are willing to travel for a competition 30 minutes won't make much of a difference. Just so you know, 27>20, & 27>9.

OH I get it. Sorry. I'll think about emailing them, after I get more information. I'm thinking an official competition would be better, so I'll plan some more.

Cyrus C.

WCA
2010COLA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just to verify, I'm still looking for people. If I can get more than 20, then I'll see about contacting a delegate. Sorry for the confusion.

You'd get more attention if this was officially official, a lot of people are willing to travel up to 7 hours for an official competition, not so much for an unofficial one.

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just to verify, I'm still looking for people. If I can get more than 20, then I'll see about contacting a delegate. Sorry for the confusion.

You'd get more attention if this was officially official, a lot of people are willing to travel up to 7 hours for an official competition, not so much for an unofficial one.

ok. I see. Sorry, I'm such a n00b with competition making stuff. I'll contact a delegate right away. Thank you so much!

Dene

Premium Member
WCA
2009BEAR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you attended a competition before? I'd strongly recommend doing so. While at the competition you could talk to the people organising and all those judging and stuff - they are the same people that are likely to help out at a competition that you might host :) .

SuperNerd

WCA
2009KNOP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Have you attended a competition before? I'd strongly recommend doing so. While at the competition you could talk to the people organising and all those judging and stuff - they are the same people that are likely to help out at a competition that you might host :) .

I've attended 6, and I'm going to a 7th. Thanks for the help!

Bryan

Premium Member
WCA
2007LOGA01

I will guarantee you can get 20 people in the Bay Area to come to a competition, unless you hold it on a Wednesday morning, have only 1 round of 6x6 (no other events), with a combined cut-off time of 1:30 in the first solve, and a $40 registration fee.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
The definite events would be 4x4-7x7, mostly because Big Cubes (5x5+) don't get very much love here in Northern California.

This sounds like the perfect way to learn why big cubes don't get much love in Northern California. Have fun at the scrambling table!

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Bigcubes don't get much love in norcal because the norcal cubers have succeeded in convincing me that it is absolutely completely not worth my while to go up to a norcal competition. Considering I'm the only person in the area who is not only good at scrambling bigcubes but also happy to spend as much time as necessary doing it, it's a lot less easy to hold bigcube rounds than it used to be.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll go. Definitely. I'll help in any way necessary.
I got your back, bro.
What if a2c and Marin Cube Club hosts it?
It'd be a memory.
ALSO!
Summer, go for it. That way, people can plan ahead better, and people are more free.
I'd like it then....
I'll help scramble big cubes, but I like 3x3 as an event because of my lack of larger cubes XD. MEGAMINX. BLD. Team BLD (w00t!).