Ball Bearings in 3x3s

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Orimaster, Dec 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Orimaster

Orimaster Member

Dec 18, 2016
    YouTube:
    channel/UCWFizYMsUnEEEb-DACac0rg
    So Chris Tran is putting up the magnetic cubes on TheCubicle.us but I was thinking, what about bulb bearings in 3x3s? They would be a lot cheaper to make, the bulb bearings would have the same effect as the magnets, and we already know they work. This could possibly be even better than the magnets and may last longer. Magnets wearing out is an issue. Now, yes I know Chris Tran made a post saying that the magnets would last longer than the cube, but what if you drop your cube a lot. Every time you drop your cube, the magnets wear out a little, over time those little drops can add up and the magnets wear out. I'm not saying that magnetic cubes aren't amazing, they are, and the price makes sense. But bulb bearing would be a much cheaper way of getting the same effect. I was wondering if anyone had any thought on this idea or comments or if you yourself had the same idea.

I myself own a magnetic cube and it did help me with my inaccuracy but bulb bearing would probably do the same effect

2. BillyRain

BillyRain Premium Member

Do you by any chance mean ball bearing? :p

Dom and DGCubes like this.
  3. I don;t know much about this but if you make one and try it out it could make for an interesting comparison with actual evidence to back it up.

4. 4Chan

4Chan Premium Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Lumbridge
    YouTube:
    boxxybabee
    Dropping doesn't affect neodymium magnets like alnico magnets.

Since they're insulated in plastic, dropping then doesn't damage their dipoles at all.

That said, there's good reason why pyraminixes and skwebs moved to magnets, the bearings have greater friction and too much tactility usually.

It's possible, but it may not be the most optimal way to make a cube tactile. Also, there's no attraction with bearings, so you don't get that nice stability addition to the cube.

5. Orimaster

Orimaster Member

Dec 18, 2016
    YouTube:
    Oh well but it was an idea, a really bad one

6. 4Chan

4Chan Premium Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Lumbridge
    YouTube:
    boxxybabee
    No! Not a bad idea!
    When I saw your title, I was actually a little surprised-- I was scared someone's beating me to the punch!

I just ordered some ball bearings and I'm working with them right now.

7. Orimaster

Orimaster Member

Dec 18, 2016
    YouTube:
    He! Great minds think alike!

8. Cubing_Maniac

Cubing_Maniac Member

Jul 7, 2016
    YouTube:
    www.youtube.com/CUBiNG_Cental
    But won't ball bearing make the cube a little too heavy and won't they be too strong??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk