Background sounds/music

Discussion in 'Blindsolving Discussion' started by AbstractAlg, Feb 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. AbstractAlg

AbstractAlg Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    WCA:
    2012OKAN02
    YouTube:
    AbstractAlgorithm
    I was just wondering what do BLD cubers prefer while doing solves.

Do you like complete silence, music of your choice or...?

While doing single solves I like silence with some background noise, like TV, neighbors talking loud. Stuff that tell me: "everything's normal, you may now do bld".

For MBLD i need total silence.

Music only for speedsolves. :p

2. rubikmaster

rubikmaster Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Croatia
    WCA:
    2011JANE01
    YouTube:
    SpeedcubingTV
    I like silence for any kind of BLD solves.But when I do normal solves I have to listen to something,otherwise I will die of boredom.Mostly I listen to my favorite music or CubeCast,but sometimes I just listen to some cubing related video whatever it is,especially if I like the cubers voice(Thrawst's averages with commentarys for example).Yeah,I know,kind of weird. :p

3. Chrisalead

Chrisalead Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Elancourt - FRANCE
    YouTube:
    chrisalead5
    I like listening to music when I cube. Any kind of music but I usually prefer OST musics or heavy rock/electro musics.

4. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA:
    2003HARD01
    I get faster times when I do solves in silence, but I prefer to listen to heavy metal or hard rock to get my adrenaline up and help me focus.

5. ben1996123

ben1996123 Banned

May 17, 2009
    Ponyville
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    Silence for BLD solves, music for sighted solves.

6. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

I'm a very musical person. So when I cube, I like to blare music. So loud, that if my parents came into my room, I can't hear them at all.

7. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Are you two sure that you read the first post? This is about BLD...

That being said, I like silence when doing BLD, but I normally listen to music when speedsolving.

8. kinch2002

kinch2002 Premium Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Guildford! UK!
    WCA:
    2009SHEP01
    YouTube:
    kinch2002
    I got way too stressed in comp when I used earplugs and ear defenders because all I could hear was my heartbeat and a faint click of my cube. Now I don't use anything for 3bld in comp, and just the ear defenders for everything else. When I last practised 3bld at home (November), I did it with loud music and it didn't affect me.

I also wished that during my multibld people had kept cubing as I was nearing the end, because I suddenly heard everyone stop and could tell they were all standing in front of me, which made me nervous :p

9. AbstractAlg

AbstractAlg Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    WCA:
    2012OKAN02
    YouTube:
    AbstractAlgorithm
    popularity, kinch. xD

Also, except silence, and few normal background sounds, only two music groups that don't affect my bld are LoPro and Index Case. Any other music is too loud, or has too many different sounds that just distract me. LoPro's "Texas" is fantastic for every type of solving, except MBLD. :cool:

10. Zane_C

Zane_C Premium Member

Silence works well for me. If there are background noises, I prefer constant sounds with no intervals of silence (like a large group of people talking).

11. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

Sorry, I was on my phone and it doesn't show some stuff.

12. Skullush

Skullush Member

I can't deal with complete silence, I need some kind of background noise. But if I do listen to music, it can't be something that has a lot going on. Sunn O))) is good for blindsolving, haha.

13. emolover

emolover Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Carmel, IN
    WCA:
    2009MAHO01
    YouTube:
    jak343434
    I become so pissed off if I hear anything while doing BLD. Sometimes tithe point where I just yell, "Shut the **** up!", end the silence happens for 5 or so minutes.

If speed solving I love listening to metal.

14. Sahid Velji

Sahid Velji Member

Jul 5, 2009
    WCA:
    2008VELJ01
    YouTube:
    sv00013
    Under ideal conditions, I would love complete silence so I don't have to use earmuffs. The reason is because I can hear my heartbeat when I wear earmuffs. I never used ear plugs though, but that's because I only do 3BLD as of now.

15. Mike Hughey

Mike Hughey Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Indianapolis
    WCA:
    2007HUGH01
    YouTube:
    MikeHughey1
    It occurred to me that I should mention: Best album title for BLD solvers: Dream Theater's old album Images and Words. (I blew the dust off it and listened to it this weekend on the way to Hillsdale.) I did some 3x3x3 BLD practice while listening to it a few years ago; it was good distraction practice.

16. riffz

riffz Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Toronto (Canada)
    WCA:
    2009HOLT01
    YouTube:
    riffz
    I don't think I could do it. The keyboard solo in Take The Time would make me start to bob my head and put the cube down. :D

17. fastcubesolver

fastcubesolver Member

Sep 19, 2009
    WCA:
    2010DONA01
    YouTube:
    1fastcubesolver
    I like listening to music for regular speedsolving, but I prefer silence for BLD.

18. NevinsCPH

NevinsCPH Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Manchester, UK
    WCA:
    2010CHAN20
    YouTube:
    dsadwede
    I do listen to music, calm and tranquil ones. Though that I have to make sure its on repeat and volume is in 'intermediate' level, loud enough to cover background sound, and soft enough for me to concentrate. :p

19. kirtpro

kirtpro Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    WCA:
    2010PROT01
    YouTube:
    kirtpro
    Silence for BLD is best for me
    Music for speedsolving is fun, I wish we were allowed to listen to music in comps

20. CJF2L 1

CJF2L 1 Member

i agree it would be awesome.
    but i suppose it depends what type of music you are listening to.