• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] Back after 8 years!

Tomarse

WCA
2008DOOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey guys!

I've been a member of the forum since '07, but haven't been active nor competed for about 8 years due to my cube collection being stolen from my bag when in my local town.

One of my friends kindly bought a bunch of cubes off eBay from a speedcuber who seemed to be thinning out his collection, and gave them to me as a birthday present this year.

This has sparked the speedcuber in me to give it another go.

I have absolutely no idea what cubes are what anymore, nor who is still / now competing in the UK.

If anyone is local to me and wants to hang out or meet up that would be awesome, I'm South East UK (Eastbourne) and am attending the Hastings Open this year.

anyway, glad to be back, if anyone wants to inform me of whats been going on, feel free.

Hopefully I'm not going anywhere this time round haha!

Thanks all,

Tom Dooley.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey guys!

I've been a member of the forum since '07, but haven't been active nor competed for about 8 years due to my cube collection being stolen from my bag when in my local town.

One of my friends kindly bought a bunch of cubes off eBay from a speedcuber who seemed to be thinning out his collection, and gave them to me as a birthday present this year.

This has sparked the speedcuber in me to give it another go.

I have absolutely no idea what cubes are what anymore, nor who is still / now competing in the UK.

If anyone is local to me and wants to hang out or meet up that would be awesome, I'm South East UK (Eastbourne) and am attending the Hastings Open this year.

anyway, glad to be back, if anyone wants to inform me of whats been going on, feel free.

Hopefully I'm not going anywhere this time round haha!

Thanks all,

Tom Dooley.
Welcome back Tom to the forums, it is great to have you here. What do you average right now on 3x3? and also: What events do you still do?

Tomarse

WCA
2008DOOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome back Tom to the forums, it is great to have you here. What do you average right now on 3x3? and also: What events do you still do?
Thanks a lot mate!

3x3 through to 7x7 are my main events.

More prone to big cubes.

My average is all over the place due to lack of solving and I've forgotten so much.

I hit 11.56 yesterday. And 21 in the same average.

I intend on recording an average of 12 to see where I'm at, but would probably benefit from a newer cube.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Thanks a lot mate!

3x3 through to 7x7 are my main events.

More prone to big cubes.

My average is all over the place due to lack of solving and I've forgotten so much.

I hit 11.56 yesterday. And 21 in the same average.

I intend on recording an average of 12 to see where I'm at, but would probably benefit from a newer cube.
Very nice and thank you for the response. Good luck on your Ao12.

LeeryLangers

WCA
2015LANG03
Welcome back!

Something like an MF3RS could be a good cube to get, considering it won’t break the bank.
Lots of other solid options too, such as the Little Magic.

Ultimately, it’s up to you whether or not you want to break the bank for a more expensive cube.
Kids these days and their magnets ;)

Also, just out of interest, what cube do you have currently? More so, what were you using back in the day? :)

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome back.

I've had a look at who you last competed against. Joey Gouly is at most comps and Thom Barlow and Andrew Coghill turn up at at least the UKs.

There are some crazy fast cubes around nowadays and the best ones tend to have magnets but you can do well with almost anything recent.

Times have dropped below what was even believed possible back in 2010.
Magic has been scrapped, skewb is now a thing and the only world record holder from the the UK is Charlie Stark with the Square-1 average.. He is an organiser at Hastings.

Also, Feliks.

Tomarse

WCA
2008DOOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome back!

Something like an MF3RS could be a good cube to get, considering it won’t break the bank.
Lots of other solid options too, such as the Little Magic.

Ultimately, it’s up to you whether or not you want to break the bank for a more expensive cube.
Kids these days and their magnets ;)

Also, just out of interest, what cube do you have currently? More so, what were you using back in the day? :)
Hey dude! Thanks for the advice!

I ended up just buying a Valk 3 and a GANS Cube 356 Air Master Edition, after extensive searching these seemed to be the most popular.

I used to use a Cube4you Type A DIY haha! But at the 2010 Nationals I cannot remember what cube I used as as I previously mentioned my cubes were stolen, it could of been a Moyu, one of the very first ones!

Tomarse

WCA
2008DOOL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Welcome back.

I've had a look at who you last competed against. Joey Gouly is at most comps and Thom Barlow and Andrew Coghill turn up at at least the UKs.

There are some crazy fast cubes around nowadays and the best ones tend to have magnets but you can do well with almost anything recent.

Times have dropped below what was even believed possible back in 2010.
Magic has been scrapped, skewb is now a thing and the only world record holder from the the UK is Charlie Stark with the Square-1 average.. He is an organiser at Hastings.

Also, Feliks.
Yeah I had the pleasure of sleeping on Thom Barlow's floor for the Manchester Open back in 2008!

Glad to know those 2 are still around!

I may have met Andrew too at some point I imagine.

Really looking forward to meeting others thats for sure.