• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Audio Pairs system: Focus on Phonetics rather than Spelling

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm moving towards using a version of this for edges AND corners. Visual pairs take me forever to memorise which I think is due to a poor imagination and even then when I combine images in a room I often recall them in the wrong order. With this method I can put each set of 3 words together then a little pause (dum - de - dum, dum - de - dum) and I'm getting much more reliable results. It's still a bit of a challenge to remember it all but we wouldn't bother if it was easy.

It's still easier when I can make real words but the non words like chudge (cj) are starting to become more natural.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm moving towards using a version of this for edges AND corners. Visual pairs take me forever to memorise which I think is due to a poor imagination and even then when I combine images in a room I often recall them in the wrong order. With this method I can put each set of 3 words together then a little pause (dum - de - dum, dum - de - dum) and I'm getting much more reliable results. It's still a bit of a challenge to remember it all but we wouldn't bother if it was easy.

It's still easier when I can make real words but the non words like chudge (cj) are starting to become more natural.

cj, I use "change" or "charge". I guess that's another thing I should add to the guide, you can add extra consonants pretty easily without risking any chance of confusion.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Excellent. I had checked your list but it's still at chodge.

I haven't updated the list since I started my hardcore practice, lol. I'll go back through it.

EDIT:

Just realized some new stuff while working on my audio pairs list:

I used Audio for my edges only. My buffer is DF, which is KU, meaning anything with K or U isn't needed. This means I'm free to use any U words for difficult "W"s without any concern. Also, I can use K or CH interchangebly for C, and I can use KS for X without worrying (so just pluralize words that end in K for X endings, such as PX = Picks).

Last edited:

suushiemaniac

WCA
2012BILL01
It's not an "entirely different system". Sure there's morae and all that, but e.g. tonal languages differ far more in phonotactics (albeit not all that much even there). It sounds more like you're starring yourself blind on the writing system.
Just to make things clear, I don't condemn our Indogermanic lettering system. I use it myself and I love it :D
As to the Japanese system, all the morae are what makes it an "entirely different system" to me. But that's a question of personal judgement obviously ;) It's perfectly clear to me that using a Japanese lettering scheme doesn't reinvent the wheel.

If 1 syllable encodes only 1 target then it is clearly not as good as "normal" (commonly used) phonetics system where 1syllable encodes 2 targets. You'll have to memo twice the amount of syllables to memo the same amount of information. Obviously not good and very inefficient...
From a strict mathematical point of view, yes. Definitely inefficient. But in my opinion a "Japanese syllable" is not comparable with a "European syllable" because you can pronounce the Japanese stream of syllables right away whereas you'd have to apply some tricks for cases like "WF" or "JH" in the European system in order to be able to pronounce it. (Concrete examples may vary depending on the phonetic properties of your native language)

Avoirpaspeur

I am working on the audio list & this is a big help for me.
I found the sheet still have quite some empty slots especially on V & X (if U buffer is ignored.).

I still find V crashing with F sound a lot.
How do you guys fix it?
I saw quite some people don't assign a new letter/sound to replace V.

I appreciate any help.
Thanks.