• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Are Premium Cubes Significantly Better Than Budget ??

How Much Better Are The Expensive Cubes Over The Cheaper Ones?

• 10% Better

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 25% Better

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • 50% Better

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 100% Better

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • 200% Better

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • 500% Better

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 1,000% Better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They Are Actually Worse!

• They Are Almost Same!

• 5% Better

• Total voters

Perfectionist

Highly rated Budget cubes like the MF3RS and Warrior are dirt cheap costing only about $3 delivered.

The most popular Premium cubes like the Gan Air and Valk cost at least 5 times more.

For the money, are these really 5 times better... or just maybe 10% better?

Are people missing much if they don't get a Premium cube these days?

Last edited:

Matthew H.

WCA
2014HARR01
Highly rated Budget cubes like the MF3RS and Warrior are dirt cheap costing only about $3 delivered.

The most popular Premium cubes like the Gan Air and Valk cost at least 5 times more.

Well this question is obviously is going to vary in answer because everyone likes different cubes (not to mention the obvious that different cubes have different designs, feels, and opinions from everyone). Personally, I wouldn't really mind using a MF3RS as my main (it's an amazing cube for its price); but, since I spent the money to get a more reliable cube that I feel comfortable using, I use it as my main (a custom made GTS M)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
There's no exact number. Most of it comes down to personal preference, although some cubes are generally accepted to be better than others. I've heard a lot of good things about the MF3RS, so if you're a beginner or you don't have much money, it's probably fine to stick with that. If you do have the money though, it's definitely worth getting a higher end speedcube. They last quite a while and turn and corner cut very well while minimizing lock-ups and pops. If you're serious about speedcubing and getting faster, having a good cube is pretty important.

Sion

Honestly, I think it depends on you. I actually feel that people should stop looking for the best cube there is, and look at what's best for them. I actually got better averages on my QiYi Sail than on my 356. I really don't care about who made what and what is better than what, it comes down to what you like, not what is considered good or bad. Instead of having my valk 3, my Gans 356, or my Aolong v2 as my backup, it is a Lunhui. Sure, I take it that the Lunhui is almost an artifact style cube now, but yet again, the only reason it is my backup is because I prefer the Lunhui over other cubes.

Applying this to budget terms, disregard price and look more at preference on what you like.

This video from SpeedCubeReview summarizes why it comes down to preference instead of price.

Last edited:

AMCuber

This might be off-topic, but I actually found a site (which was in someone's signature) which compared prices of the same cube over a lot of cube-buying stores. They actually found a site where they sell Valk3's for $11.

Sajwo

WCA
2012SZEW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And even though they may be only 10% better, for faster cubers it could make the difference between, say, sub 11 and sub 10

Get sub10 and then come back.

MF3RS is as good as any other premium cube. I bet Feliks or Max could get sub6 average on it ;)

Sion

Actually, I still find the yuxin fire and qiyi sail to still be viable options.

Perfectionist

There's no exact number. Most of it comes down to personal preference, although some cubes are generally accepted to be better than others. I've heard a lot of good things about the MF3RS, so if you're a beginner or you don't have much money, it's probably fine to stick with that. If you do have the money though, it's definitely worth getting a higher end speedcube. They last quite a while and turn and corner cut very well while minimizing lock-ups and pops. If you're serious about speedcubing and getting faster, having a good cube is pretty important.
I suppose that would be the main reason to buy an expensive cube - if they are more durable and last longer?

Have people found that to be the case with Premium cubes?