• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Unofficial] Another 5x5 variation (Roux based)

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I understand your method it is
- two opposite centers (white+yellow, say)
- build 1x4x5 rouxblock on white
- remaining centers K4 style
- use freeslice to pair last white edge and two M edges so you can build a "double xcross" on white
- finish edges with 2-pairing
- Fridrich finish, I assume

I think it's an interesting variation on Yau/Meyer, and should be fun to play around with. Having to pair specific edges with freeslice seems a bit unusual to me but it's not particularly slow or anything. I wonder what times people would get. (e: It looks like this method is capable of at least 1:30 range times, like the ones it's similar to.)

Last edited:

Cube-Fu

WCA
2009WILL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If I understand your method it is
- two opposite centers (white+yellow, say)
- build 1x4x5 rouxblock on white
- remaining centers K4 style
- use freeslice to pair last white edge and two M edges so you can build a "double xcross" on white
- finish edges with 2-pairing
- Fridrich finish, I assume

I think it's an interesting variation on Yau/Meyer, and should be fun to play around with. Having to pair specific edges with freeslice seems a bit unusual to me but it's not particularly slow or anything. I wonder what times people would get. (e: It looks like this method is capable of at least 1:30 range times, like the ones it's similar to.)

Yep; you're always very observant with these things, and once again you got it bang on. It also works well on 4x4, and there's other variations, but this is probably the most straight forward. What you lose in taking the extra time to solve the M edges, you gain by restriction of your remaining edges. And yes, Fridrich is fine, but it also has a good Petrus position.