alg.cubing.net

Discussion in 'Software Area' started by Lucas Garron, Feb 23, 2014.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Maybe this does tell Lucas something, but my question to statements like that is always: But is it a problem?

Because in general, it can be quite normal to not free memory as soon as possible. Garbage collection can get off its lazy ass and get to work whenever it feels it's appropriate. Surely you have a trash can inside your house, right? Do you take it out as soon as you put one thing into it? Or do you wait, put more and more things into it, and only take it out when it's (almost) full or you for some reason feel like it (like you having nothing better to do)? So unless it's actually a problem, like you getting full-memory errors, everything might just be going according to plan.

That said, if I'm wrong and misjudge the technology and such increasing memory consumption likely does indicate a real problem, please let me know.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. Renslay

Renslay Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Hungary
    WCA:
    2005HANT01
    YouTube:
    Renslay
    Well, yeterday after an hour or two of playing around with alg cubing net (doing some FMC), my 4 GB memory became full, and everything was like frozen. I was able to move the mouse, but every single click (or button press) had a minute(!) long reaction time. It was annoying and frustrating. So yes, I call it a problem, because if you don't watch about it, eventually it becomes almost like a blue death.

Applying your trash can analogy: not just your trash can, but your enitre house gets full of trash, and you only notice that when you can't even move.

Moreover, alg.garron.us don't have this problem. I know that it works differently, but this problem forces me to use alg.garron.us, while alg.cubing.net should be the superior page if I understand well.

3. Christopher Mowla

Christopher Mowla Premium Member

Sep 17, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    YouTube:
    4EverTrying
    LOL. I nominate this as one of the funniest phrases this year so far!:)

Apart from the ability to have cubes larger than the 7x7x7, I find that alg.garron.us is more user-friendly (and simple) to use overall (no offense Lucas). If it confused me when I first saw it, how can we expect beginners to be more comfortable using it than alg.garron.us (apart from the fact that it is not built to rely on Java)? Also, Lucas, when my mouse pointer is in the cube window, and I accidentally touch the scroll dial on my mouse, the cube disappears.

4. Lucas Garron

Lucas Garron Super-Duper Moderator Staff Member

The current internals are extremely inefficient right now; an entirely new cube is constructed for every letter you type.
    I'm going to rewrite the internals soon, and this will become a lot more efficient as a side effect (it should be able to reuse the same cube every time). It just hasn't been a priority because modern browsers can handle the current situation for most users.

As a simple workaround, you highlight your browser's URL bar and hit Enter to reload the page; memory usage will start from scratch with your current state.

That isn't very specific, but I'm always happy to hear feedback; can you point to specific things that were user-friendly, and that are not anymore?

I'm focused on features right now, but I eventually want it to be just as useful for alg.garron.us for everything. (However, playback mode is already meant to make viewing algs as simple as possible, by hiding all the input controls.)

The cube should change orientation by a bit, but it should remain visible.
    Does it ever reappear? Do you see any error messages in the browser console?
    What is your OS/browser?
    (Perhaps the scroll event triggers and exception, causing everything not to be drawn. I don't usually test on IE because I work on OSX.)

5. Erikdekamps

Erikdekamps Member

Apr 8, 2014
    This is great to use to be able to make notes of algorithms to use and practice! =D

6. 10461394944000

10461394944000 Banned

Mar 18, 2014
    in d middle of angleland
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    I think a supercube setting would be pretty useful. I just generated some algs for 4x4 <2R, U> and I had to do this to see how the centres moved around

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  7. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    I have a few suggestions for additional features:

1. a tool (a button) to count the moves after each line of solve and add them like (moves of the step/total moves) at the end of the line
    2. make the visual cube like a sim (is that hard to do?) so you can do the same process the other way round: make moves on the visual cube and the script then writes them down properly.
    3. along with the simplify/expand/invert/image buttons there could be a "remove rotations" button, that does what it says: removes all x/y/z/ or even x/y/z/M/E/S/Uw/Dw/Bw/Fw/Rw/Lw moves from the algorithm like this:

R U' z U R z' R' U' z R' U R -> "remove rotations" -> R U' L' U R' U' L U

4. just like 3. it would then be cool to be able to add a cube rotation in the algorithm, not just adding it in between the moves, but so that the program then changes the remaining moves of the algorithm accordingly, like this:

R U' L' U R' U' L U
    ->"add rotation"
    -> chose "z"
    -> chose a spot, for this example between L' and U
    -> R U' L' z R D' R' U R

Now, this is alot and i have no idea if its even possible in the way alg.cubing.net works, but i'd certainly appreciate those features.

8. Lucas Garron

Those are all good suggestions! In fact, my plan is to support all of them eventually – roughly in the order you listed.
    It's also great to hear explicit feature requests. I honestly don't have much time to work on this, but if I know people want something I can give it higher priority.

One reason I implemented to cubing.net/touch recently is so that I can support both keyboard and mobile input.

If someone wants to work on something that can remove rotations or add rotations, it should be easy to work on alg.js if you know Javascript. I'd be happy happy to expose contributions as features in alg.cubing.net.

9. Renslay

Renslay Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Hungary
    WCA:
    2005HANT01
    YouTube:
    Renslay
    I also find those suggestions very helpful!

10. theZcuber

theZcuber Premium Member

May 8, 2011
    Central NY, US
    WCA:
    2012PRAT02
    This already has a way to manipulate algs in different ways. You should message him to see if you can rip some code.

11. Lucas Garron

Yeah, I'm aware. It's a good place to look at. Unfortunately, the problem isn't really figuring out how to implement it. It's the time to make it work in a way that can be reused and adapted with twisty.js.

12. naliuj

naliuj Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Massachusetts
    WCA:
    2011ROSE04
    YouTube:
    JulianCubing
    Maybe add a "Mirror" button? It would turn L to R', U to U', etc... I don't think it would be too difficult to do.

13. Lucas Garron

Easy enough: done.

14. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    that was fast.

button doesnt work for me though.

am i dumb?

15. Jakube

Jakube Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Austria
    WCA:
    2011KOGL01
    YouTube:
    JakubeBLD
    It only mirrors the Moves, not the scramble. This should be corrected.

16. Lucas Garron

Maybe not. None of the tools affect the setup right now, and there is no way to guess what the user wants in general.
    I can think of use cases for mirroring with either behaviour for the setup. I'm going to leave it unaffected for now. It's at least possible to copy the setup into the moves field to mirror it.

17. 10461394944000

10461394944000 Banned

Mar 18, 2014
    in d middle of angleland
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    what about a check box so you can disable live updating? it runs really slowly for me because of that

also bump in case you never saw this before

18. Petro Leum

Petro Leum Member

May 3, 2012
    Germany
    WCA:
    2012KALH01
    it doesnt mirror the moves for me though :p

19. Lucas Garron

By popular demand: 1x1x1 support!
    Inverses also work better now: [F: [R, U]] is inverted to [F: [U, R]].

Efficiency rewrites are the next big thing.

I could probably introduce a small delay (so that it waits to re-render if you type a few things in a row), but angular.js makes that a bit annoying.

I plan to support custom stickers/supercubes, but it's not a huge priority. You can fiddle with the three.js code if you want to hack together something quick.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  20. naliuj

naliuj Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Massachusetts
    WCA:
    2011ROSE04
    YouTube:
    JulianCubing
    The cube isn't showing up on screen for me anymore. I don't know if that's an issue on my side or not. May as well tell you though.

Edit: I refreshed it a bunch of times and it finally showed up.