• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A rubik's cube methods and states map

psi

For interactivity, how about just a simple web page showing the current state and its successor states and you click on one to go there?

Well, yes, this could be a good start. In any case you need to encode at some level all relashionship data and this is missing (I have only an excel file and the image atm). Also, my "web application" designer skills would need to be improved :) (this could be a good chance).

But I have to say that I found nice to have also the "whole picture" showing the size of all the data and, as someone said, it makes for a good wall poster :).
One big problem for any "user" is the information retrieval, I can search for it, having the source svg, but I understand that if someone wants to know if something is there he has no easy task.

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Nice!

As for the image, I would enlarge the keys and the title. Especially the title - just like on a poster, it must be huge, so you can read it even from the end of your room. There is a lot of space on the top left quater.

psi

As for the image, I would enlarge the keys and the title. Especially the title - just like on a poster, it must be huge, so you can read it even from the end of your room. There is a lot of space on the top left quarter.

I realized the same, one minute after posting it by zooming out fully. Damn :mad:. That top left blank area needs justice, all x-image size would become shorter!

martinss

For interactivity, how about just a simple web page showing the current state and its successor states and you click on one to go there?
Well, yes, this could be a good start. In any case you need to encode at some level all relashionship data and this is missing (I have only an excel file and the image atm). Also, my "web application" designer skills would need to be improved :) (this could be a good chance).

But I have to say that I found nice to have also the "whole picture" showing the size of all the data and, as someone said, it makes for a good wall poster :).
One big problem for any "user" is the information retrieval, I can search for it, having the source svg, but I understand that if someone wants to know if something is there he has no easy task.

What about creating a new wiki page for each cube state/picture with the sub-group (as <F,R,U> for the [WIKI]2x2x2 Block state[/WIKI]), the transitions (the steps) to the next states (as [WIKI]XCross[/WIKI]) and the next steps (as [WIKI]F2L-3 state[/WIKI]) ?
Shouldn't it be easier han creating a new web page/ a web application ?

The spoiler is just an example.
2x2x2 Block state

The "2x2x2 Block state" is a common state of the cube during solves, especially in [WIKI]FMC[/WIKI].
The group of this state is <F,R,U>.

Previous State

The previous state of this one is the [WIKI]Scrambled state[/WIKI]. Use the [WIKI]Create a 2x2x2 step[/WIKI] to have the "2x2x2 Block state"

Next States

Use the [WIKI]Xcross[/WIKI] step to have the [WIKI]F2L-3 state[/WIKI]. This is the most common transition.
Use the [WIKI]Extend to a 2x2x3 step[/WIKI] to have the [WIKI]2x2x3 Block state[/WIKI].

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What about creating a new wiki page for each cube state/picture with the sub-group (as <F,R,U> for the [WIKI]2x2x2 Block state[/WIKI]), the transitions (the steps) to the next states (as [WIKI]XCross[/WIKI]) and the next steps (as [WIKI]F2L-3 state[/WIKI]) ?

Seems rather laborious. Unless you write a program to create all these wiki pages, and then that's against the point of a wiki. And more work than just writing a non-wiki application.

Last edited:

psi

Seems rather laborious. Unless you write a program to create all these wiki pages, and then that's against the point of a wiki. And more work than just writing a non-wiki application.

Having wiki pages for all states and 'especially' methods would be nice as I guess around 50% of the methods can't be found on current wiki (but they are also minor methods variations). Translating graph to wiki is for sure easy but it's also tedious, as Stefan said, and at the end you do not have so much interactivity, the only thing that would really benefit from this would be the search function and the generic documentation links one can add. But I would still consider a collection of linked wiki pages somewhat "static".
Don't get me wrong, I would really like these pages to exist, but anyone can add them. He has just to create pages following the graph. (Volunteers ? :cool:).

Interactivity that I would like is similar to what you can find on D3 lib examples: http://d3js.org/

martinss

Here are some ideas:
  • Scrambled State may have a "Scrambled" Label
  • Rename "2x2x2" step to "2x2x2 Block" step
  • Rename "2x2x3" step to "2x2x3 Block" step
  • Remove "F2L-2" Label to "2x2x3 Block" cube state
  • Beginners may treat EOLine as two steps: EO+Line. Add a step between "Edg Oriented" and "EOline". This step's name could be "Line" (and Set use only this subgroup: <R, U, L, D, F2, B2>)
  • Add "Cross+1" Step between "Scrambled" and a new "Cross+1" state (cross+1 c/e pair != Xcross)
  • State before "ZZLL" may have a "LL->EO+2EP" Label
  • State before "PLL subset 9/21" may have a "LL->EO+2EP+CO" Label
  • State before "2GLL (subs)" may have a "LL->EO+2EP+CP" Label
  • Add "Beginner CP (Niklas)" Step between "LL->EO+2EP" and "LL->EO+2EP+CP"
  • State after "F2L+1E" may have a "LL->1E(O+P)" Label

psi

Everything fine, will do, (I know some states are missing labels, some are just "odd" but other as you pointed out are needed).
Just I don't fully get this:
Here are some ideas:
  • Add "Cross+1" Step between "Scrambled" and a new "Cross+1" state (cross+1 c/e pair != Xcross)
What do you mean with "Cross+1" state? What should contain that state? A cross plus a c/e pair inserted in wrong spot or not inserted at all? Or a cross plus only one corner?

martinss

What do you mean with "Cross+1" state? What should contain that state? A cross plus a c/e pair inserted in wrong spot or not inserted at all? Or a cross plus only one corner?
I'm not sure of the name but I mean a c/e pair not inserted at all. During inspection, if you see you (can) have a c/e pair, you just try not to break it while making the cross. (To anybody: Is that right ?)

psi

I'm not sure of the name but I mean a c/e pair not inserted at all. During inspection, if you see you (can) have a c/e pair, you just try not to break it while making the cross. (To anybody: Is that right ?)
OK.

martinss

Here are some ideas:
  • Scrambled State may have a "Scrambled" Label
  • Rename "2x2x2" step to "2x2x2 Block" step
  • Rename "2x2x3" step to "2x2x3 Block" step
  • Remove "F2L-2" Label to "2x2x3 Block" cube state
  • Beginners may treat EOLine as two steps: EO+Line. Add a step between "Edg Oriented" and "EOline". This step's name could be "Line" (and Set use only this subgroup: <R, U, L, D, F2, B2>)
  • State before "ZZLL" may have a "LL->EO+2EP" Label
  • State before "PLL subset 9/21" may have a "LL->EO+2EP+CO" Label
  • State before "2GLL (subs)" may have a "LL->EO+2EP+CP" Label
  • Add "Beginner CP (Niklas)" Step between "LL->EO+2EP" and "LL->EO+2EP+CP"
  • State after "F2L+1E" may have a "LL->1E(O+P)" Label

+
  • "Add 1 F2L slot (JAA)" after F2L-2 (at the very top of the picture) : the substep should go to "F2L-1" instead of "1st Layer-1C"
  • Colors of the lines (Yellow=Last slot, Blue=Corners...) aren't very useful : we just have to look at the cubes pictures around the step. Won't it be better to change (For instance : Yellow for a speedcubing substep, Blue for a blind substep, Green for Speed Blind, Red for Fewest Move Challenge, Brown for One Hand solving, Pink for Feet solving, ...) ?

psi

+
  • Colors of the lines (Yellow=Last slot, Blue=Corners...) aren't very useful : we just have to look at the cubes pictures around the step. Won't it be better to change (For instance : Yellow for a speedcubing substep, Blue for a blind substep, Green for Speed Blind, Red for Fewest Move Challenge, Brown for One Hand solving, Pink for Feet solving, ...) ?
Well, maybe they are not so useful but at least they are "consistent". I don't think i want to lose all that info changing arrows color.
What is less consistent and somewhat random is the color of the name steps, especially inner the color (outline is meant for difficulty). Maybe that could encode the categories that you listed even if i'm not sure it is easy to define distinct categories for all steps. Also on OH categories I have close to zero knowledge.

Chenkar

Wow! I admire your integrity to follow through with this idea of yours! One question; what's the difference between the medium and big graph? I can only see that some colors are more opaque

psi

Wow! I admire your integrity to follow through with this idea of yours! One question; what's the difference between the medium and big graph? I can only see that some colors are more opaque
The only difference is ... the size :). This means that on big image you have double the resolution (XxY pixel and thus MBytes), allowing you to zoom in more and see the details (especially text). If you see different colors this is probably due to the viewer you are using (windows?) that at different zoom levels make some artifact or false colors. At full zoom level (1:1) you should have the same colors on both images.

Chenkar

The only difference is ... the size :). This means that on big image you have double the resolution (XxY pixel and thus MBytes), allowing you to zoom in more and see the details (especially text). If you see different colors this is probably due to the viewer you are using (windows?) that at different zoom levels make some artifact or false colors. At full zoom level (1:1) you should have the same colors on both images.
Okay. So is the text still readable on the medium one? I'm not at a computer for a while and can't check.
The resolution (image size). Try to zoom into both images, you'll see.

Edit: ninja'd.
Lol

psi

Okay. So is the text still readable on the medium one? I'm not at a computer for a while and can't check.
It is, 99% of nodes. Only one which uses font with size=6 is barely readable on medium size img. I'll have to increase that.

Chenkar

It is, 99% of nodes. Only one which uses font with size=6 is barely readable on medium size img. I'll have to increase that.
Oh okay. I'm planing on printing it out so I can examine it, I find it easier to process lots of info when I see it all, instead of having parts off the screen

psi

Oh okay. I'm planing on printing it out so I can examine it, I find it easier to process lots of info when I see it all, instead of having parts off the screen
If you need to print it I highly encourage you to get the bigger version. Even that is not so big for the purpose of printing, medium has 90dpi while big has 180dpi. I could actually generate also a bigger image from the source svg if you need, but size on disk would skyrocket.