• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

A Roux guide for beginners

RubiXer

WCA
2012MORA05
What's the point of Roux if you're already good with Fridrich? Seems like Fridrich is better, anyway. I tried this tutorial, but it seemed like most of the moves were way to tedious and intuitive.
That has got to be the most ignorant comment I've read in a while. There is no such thing as a, "better" or, "best" method.

Shiv3r

WCA
2016LEWI04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi,
I learned CFOP but since the first days I've been interested in Block Building Methods.
Recently I decided to learn Roux too and in order to memorise the steps of the method I collected images and simple algs in a document.
I want to share this pdf hoping someone else (a beginner like me) can switch to this method quickly and see its potential.
Let me know for errors or how to improve the document.
the doc is here

thanks to waffo and the donovan's video tutorials

I would teach the people EO like Gilles roux teaches you to, and the L&R edges in LSE the way waffle teaches you, there are less scary-looking alg sheets(things like that scare noobs.)

Nice. I'm learning a beginner's Roux variation. The link's below. You guys probably know about it already, since someone on the forums pointed me towards it.

Planning on moving to a more pure Roux method once I'm comfortable with it. Right now I'm REALLY struggling with the last 6 edges. Especailly permutating the last edges.

I know eventually, I'll have to learn more algorithms, but I enjoy how intuitive Roux feels. The 30ish algorithms in this guide don't seem too bad. I'll go through it in the near future. Thanks.

(
)

timelord111

What's the point of Roux if you're already good with Fridrich? Seems like Fridrich is better, anyway. I tried this tutorial, but it seemed like most of the moves were way to tedious and intuitive.
Roux is very good for FMC because of the low move count. It can also be okay for OH because you can put one side of the cube on the mat and press down on the cube in order to do M and M' moves, but ZZ (especially ZZ-CT) is better for OH, using mostly R and U moves for f2l.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Roux is very good for FMC because of the low move count. It can also be okay for OH because you can put one side of the cube on the mat and press down on the cube in order to do M and M' moves, but ZZ (especially ZZ-CT) is better for OH, using mostly R and U moves for f2l.

Erm, first of all, I think he probably has since forgotten about this question in the 4 years since he has asked it.

Secondly, Roux is horrible for FMC, because any M move counts as 2 moves in OBTM, which is the metric used by the WCA for counting moves. As the last 13 or so moves of the solve are LSE, any efficiency you gain in the beginning of the solve is demolished at the end.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Erm, first of all, I think he probably has since forgotten about this question in the 4 years since he has asked it.

Secondly, Roux is horrible for FMC, because any M move counts as 2 moves in OBTM, which is the metric used by the WCA for counting moves. As the last 13 or so moves of the solve are LSE, any efficiency you gain in the beginning of the solve is demolished at the end.
Roux isn't actually completely horrible for FMC. For a start you can actually use insertions which often mean that a Roux solve can be lower movecount than quite a few others.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Roux isn't actually completely horrible for FMC. For a start you can actually use insertions which often mean that a Roux solve can be lower movecount than quite a few others.
Well *I* know that, for example especially if you get 2 3cycles, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have edge insertions in mind

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think , the part where beginners struggle the most is in the first block stage:

So this video might be of some help:

There is one better tutorial in English by OH WR#2 holder Kian:

Hope it helps!

N3xus

Very good tutorial helped me with learning roux so much but i noticed that in the 4 bad edges on top alg the m should be an m'.