• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

5BLD Tutorial

grapefruit95

WCA
2016PERC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
PLEASE READ DESCRIPTION

This is my attempt at making a somewhat good 5BLD tutorial as what out there currently is pretty bad, and I had to figure out a lot of the new parity stuff on my own. Please leave constructive criticism.

U

Underwatercuber

I will check it out when I get home. Not many big bld tutorials out there so hopefully this is nice.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
If your tutorial works then the tutorial is fine.

I looked at the description. For r2 parity you can use this: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/big-cube-bld-discussion.16775/page-24#post-1057684

When I was learning 5bld there was only few sources so I figure out the way of doing +centers with easy comms. They are faster and simpler.
I'm not sure how I did +centers on D layer with U2 method but i think it was like (with buffer on Ub):
- setting center of D layer to Df (Im not sure how to describe it)
- setup m d2 m', next U2, next m d2 m'
- undo setting center on D.
- next target.
If the targets are on U and D layer I was just putting D pieces under the pieces on U layer. I mean if my target was Ur I did y rotation, than setting it to Dr (after y rotation it was Df) and next easy comm: m d2 m' U m d2 m' U'.

For special case with targets on U layer and on side layers (B, R, F, L) I think I used same alg, though it's much simpler to use comm like setup U, next m d' m' U m d m' U', undo setup U'. Thats only idea. If you feel comfortable with your method, it's fine. But I remember I was using it when I started 5bld. It saves a lot of doing and thinking.

leeo

WCA
2016ODEG01
One question about big cubes BLD: what to do about the multiple name problem? in 3x3x3 all pieces are clearly distinguishable -- not true with big cubes - you have similar wings and similar xcenter and similar tcenters.

T1_M0

WCA
2017NORR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
One question about big cubes BLD: what to do about the multiple name problem? in 3x3x3 all pieces are clearly distinguishable -- not true with big cubes - you have similar wings and similar xcenter and similar tcenters.
Yep, they are similar so it doesn't matter where you shoot them. Just pick them in order clockwise, it's easiest.

for wings you do not need a letter for each sticker, you just need one letter per piece so 24 total.