1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

[Help Thread] 4x4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by jackolanternsoup, Feb 17, 2008.

1. jackolanternsoup

jackolanternsoup Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I need help making my time better... I use reduction(6 edge pairing method) followed by fridrich F2l then 3look LL.

My average is about 3 mins and i think I've finished reduction at around 1:30-1:45.. the rest is all 3x3x3.. which i think i'll improve on one day..

In my reduction, my centers are very slow... about 30-40 seconds.. :( So i'd like some center solving tips please...

With edges i've been practicing looking forward so that's getting better imo..

So overall I'd like some reduction tips :)

Or if someone wants to suggest I learn a different method that's great...

Kumato likes this.
  2. RobinBloehm

RobinBloehm Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Aachen, NRW, Germany
    WCA:
    2008BLOH02
    I really like the Pochmann-Method for centers, you almost never have to look around the cube, I average about 20-25 seconds without much practice, it's very fast if you use the tips given on the bottom of the page:

http://www.stefan-pochmann.info/spocc/speedsolving/4x4_centers/

For edge-paring, I switched back from 6 edges at a time to 2-pair-method, but I don't think that's faster, it's about the same for me, use what feels better to you. I switched because I want to improve on 5x5 edge-paring at the same time, so it would be nonsense to use different systems on those two cubes.

Good luck, Robin

3. Swordsman Kirby

Swordsman Kirby Member

Apr 29, 2006
    I just intuitively do a pair of opposite centers, then do the remaining four one by one.

lol

4. ROOT

ROOT Member

Mar 29, 2008
    i love stefan pochmanns centers method. practice lookahead by going slower than usual as well as working on your move smoothness. also you can do 6 at a time, but learn 2 at a time as well. use both 2 and 6. also try out changing your edge pairing from horizontal to vertical or vice versa. just try new things. i think you should also use 2 at a time more than 6, you cant always finish with 6 at a time. oh and look at bicubes.com, especially putting 2 finished edge groups in the back two slots you also slice on so you dont have to look back there, also practice.

5. alexc

alexc Member

I average about 20-25 seconds on the centers. Really easy, not hard to get to that level. My dedges are about 45-60 seconds. On a good solve, I can finish the reduction in about 1:00-1:10. Just practice the centers, and you will eventually learn to recognize and solve easy patterns.

6. Crzyazn

Crzyazn Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    WOW i've never tried pochmann's method before....

I average around 40sec for centers using Chris Hardwick's method and this new method seems like a breath of fresh air

7. jackolanternsoup

jackolanternsoup Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Now I've imrpvoed with my centers and can solve in around 27 seconds and finish my dedges at 1:20-1:30.. I find dedges much easier now for some reason.. anyway, my 3x3x3 on the 4x4x4 is still bad.. takes 50 seconds without parity :( But i average sub-40 on a real 3x3x3

8. Lofty

Lofty Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Gainesville, Florida
    WCA:
    2008LOFT01
    YouTube:
    Loftycuber
    I have always done two opposite centers then paired up all my center pieces into 2x1x1 blocks then I just have to match up the blocks.

9. n00bcubix

n00bcubix Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Seoul
    WCA:
    2008JUNH01
    YouTube:
    n00bcubix
    Okay so my breakdowns are...

Centers: Around 20 seconds
    Edges: Anywhere around 40-60( depends on look ahead :p)
    3x3: 35 seconds maximum with OP and PP (oll parity, pll parity)

Is there anything specific to work on or should i keep working on my look ahead?

10. PatrickJameson

PatrickJameson Premium Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    WCA:
    2007JAME01
    YouTube:
    rubiksmaster12
    Defiantly work on edges first. Centers will get faster naturally after many solves.

11. n00bcubix

n00bcubix Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Seoul
    WCA:
    2008JUNH01
    YouTube:
    n00bcubix
    Okay pat, thank you

12. HelloiamChow

HelloiamChow Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Well, instead of starting my own thread, I guess I'll ask my question here because I too need 4x4 help.

My breakdown is around

Centers + Edges - 42-50s
    3x3 - 25s

Is the key to going sub60 in the 3x3 phase? Or should I work more on edges. I wouldn't say I've ever "formally" learned a edges method. I just use a intuitive 2 at a time thing. Should I get a better cube to decrease my 3x3 time? I'd like to be in the 60s by Nationals.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

13. n00bcubix

n00bcubix Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Seoul
    WCA:
    2008JUNH01
    YouTube:
    n00bcubix
    Your insane man, i would say (idk why imma say this) to work on edges and getting faster 3x3. What do you avg for 3x3, as in a real 3x3, not stimulated into a 4x4

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  14. masterofthebass

masterofthebass Premium Member

May 13, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WCA:
    2007COHE01
    YouTube:
    masterofthebass
    Yeah, I wish my 3x3 was this fast... I have mid 30s reductions, and around 30s 3x3s. It really annoys me. You all need to work on optimizations, as I think the amount of moves you are doing takes too much time.

15. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    I think you should work on centers, as they are easy to practise. Just one hour could have you down to 15 seconds.

16. Erik

Erik Member

comparing with my or other people's breakdown I'd say pairing is your worst step. I'd work on that, but..
    As Dene said and where I agree with, centres are easy to practise. Just practise colour neutralness, follow the normal steps (centre, opposite one, then the rest one by one), and try to work in blocks of 1x2 + lookahead can get your centres times down a bit pretty fast. In the long term Pairing is the most important step of course and since you also need centres to do pairing.. ;) you hit 2 flies in one hit (Dutch expression translated..)

17. KConny

KConny Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2007LUND01
    YouTube:
    KConny
    Två flugor i en smäll. Exactly the same in swedish. :) Two birds with one stone is what those gun or tea crazy people are saying.

18. blah

blah brah

Dec 30, 2007
    Cantucky
    WCA:
    2009LIAN03
    YouTube:
    blahcel
    okay i feel retarded, my centers take more than 1 minute, and that's with practise, before i practised it was more than 2 mins. any good site with tips and tricks for centers?

19. n00bcubix

n00bcubix Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Seoul
    WCA:
    2008JUNH01
    YouTube:
    n00bcubix
    okay what i do is pair 2 centers sometimes and then put them in place. Sometime i do one at a time. Depends how i feel :p

20. HelloiamChow

HelloiamChow Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Yeah, I guess when I do centers I always have to start on either yellow or white, I should change that. Mid30's reduction. I can do that. My next goal.