• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 With Feet Getting Removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
4BLD and 5BLD means are being added, and while this likely means I'll never get platinum, I'm happy that the tiers will be harder to get. Considering like 6 people got platinum this year, it's becoming too large of a club. Even though 1 might be small, I expect Shivam Bansal will get it soon, and there's someone else as well I'm forgetting. I'll edit if I remember.

U

Underwatercuber

4BLD and 5BLD means are being added, and while this likely means I'll never get platinum, I'm happy that the tiers will be harder to get. Considering like 6 people got platinum this year, it's becoming too large of a club. Even though 1 might be small, I expect Shivam Bansal will get it soon, and there's someone else as well I'm forgetting. I'll edit if I remember.

Currently there are 20 Platinum members, 46 Gold members, 94 Silver members and 33 Bronze members.

currently, 87 people have 4BLD means, 29 people have 5BLD means and 23 people have both.

With the inclusion of BigBLD means, there would be
1 Platinum member (Jan Bentlage),
3 Gold members (Cale Schoon, Mark Boyanowski, Yunqi Ouyang),
6 Silver members (Wenjie Xu, Mike Hughey, Jason White, Sukant Koul, Hanns Hub, Kit Clement)
183 Bronze members (everybody else who's currently Bronze+)

Copied and edited slightly from facebook

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
i don't get why people care about this silly unofficial club.. also it might be 1 person only right now but im sure one day there will be easily over 1000 people there
One the one hand, yes I agree. On the other hand, it is a large part of my motivation to learn new events and continue going to and organizing competitions.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The evidence seems to show that it has not been fully decided yet. The discussion on GitHub seemed to indicate that more would be done before finally deciding this, and has been updated recently indicating the issue is still open. I also I just discovered this, which appears to be a draft that is being prepared for a survey. I'm not sure who will be surveyed, but considering one of the questions seems to be experience level, the implication is that even relatively new cubers will be included, so it seems likely the survey is intended for everyone. Anyway, the first question on this section of the survey is a question about whether or not people think we should keep feet.

https://github.com/thewca/community-surveys/blob/master/2019/draft/6-regulations.md

I know Lucas Garron talked to me at US Nationals this year (I suspect he was talking to lots of people about this), and he was very excited about the possibility of mobilizing to make many changes to try to improve the WCA. This survey (which was submitted by him) seems to hit on a lot of the points that he was talking about considering.

Apolo

The problem is that you could add the most stupid event ever, One Feet Square 1 for exemple. As soon as it will be added, some people will grind for hours the event so deleting the event would be really really bad for those people who spend so much time on it.
This is why I'm against removing events. We just have to be carefull about what event are added

PetrusQuber

YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not do feet, but I don’t think it should be removed at all. There are thousands of people who do feet, and if it gets removed, those people will no longer have a place to go to record solves, share solutions with people, etc. This is totally unfair. Has the WCA seen this thread?

Plus, you should make a poll on who wants feet to stay.

Loser

WCA
2016QUIN01
I do not do feet, but I don’t think it should be removed at all. There are thousands of people who do feet, and if it gets removed, those people will no longer have a place to go to record solves, share solutions with people, etc. This is totally unfair. Has the WCA seen this thread?

Plus, you should make a poll on who wants feet to stay.

Just gonna jump in here before anyone against feet comes in with the argument about "WeLl YoU cAn StIlL sHaRe SoLvEs"

It isn't the same, and the event would die if it was removed, similar to how magic did and any other event would.

Also, I've seen dozens of unofficial polls run by everybody and their brother, and those are always to just one place, but the results are usually similar, with either side never getting more than 60%.

I also I just discovered this, which appears to be a draft that is being prepared for a survey.

And that's why the wca is going to be conducting their own survey. I don't know what I'm allowed to say, so I'll leave it at that.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
The only fly in the ointment is that blind events cannot be entered by competitors who are actually visually impaired. Maybe textured puzzles could be used in a new event which does not allow for visual inspection and blind events could be renamed.
I was surprised by this because I actually thought it was already covered by WCA regulations, but I don't see it in the regulations now. The suggestion has already been made many years ago that for a visually impaired competitor to compete in a blind event,, all that is necessary is to provide two scrambled cubes, in the same orientation - one textured, one not. The competitor uses the textured cube for inspection, then switches to the untextured cube to actually do the solving. That would make it very straightforward to accommodate a visually impaired competitor for blindfolded events.

jo1215

WCA
2017OSTD02
I've changed my mind about feet... I think it should be kept as, at the moment, cubing competitions organized by the WCA are very inclusive and do not separate competitors by gender or physical ability.

The only fly in the ointment is that blind events cannot be entered by competitors who are actually visually impaired. Maybe textured puzzles could be used in a new event which does not allow for visual inspection and blind events could be renamed.
I was surprised by this because I actually thought it was already covered by WCA regulations, but I don't see it in the regulations now. The suggestion has already been made many years ago that for a visually impaired competitor to compete in a blind event,, all that is necessary is to provide two scrambled cubes, in the same orientation - one textured, one not. The competitor uses the textured cube for inspection, then switches to the untextured cube to actually do the solving. That would make it very straightforward to accommodate a visually impaired competitor for blindfolded events.
This has been done in competition before

GAN 356 X

To respond to this:
Feet growth:
Even though it didn't grow that much more than 3x3, it did grow more than it, which I think is a good enough reason to keep it.

Solving method:
I agree with you in that you must use more efficient f2l and a bunch more ll algs are required to be world class. I think that this makes the event unique.

Feet/OH overlap:
What is the reason for no overlap then?

Removal of magics:
Was there this much backlash though?
Also IMO magics had to be removed, as judging was impossible and it likely wasn't consistent all around the world.

Also, I would likr it if you did a session of feet, to at least try it out. As far as I know, you have never even tried the event, which I think causes bias.
Think about it. You're solving a CUBE WITH YOUR FEET! I'm not sure I would want to sacrifice a perfectly nice cube to be mangles by my feet

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Think about it. You're solving a CUBE WITH YOUR FEET! I'm not sure I would want to sacrifice a perfectly nice cube to be mangles by my feet
Feet solving works best with a different kind of puzzle than works best for hands anyway. I practiced with my Rubik’s brand, then magnetized a puzzle to get one exactly the way I want it specifically for Feet.

Izaden

Solving with feet is definitely not an event that I am interested in (Viewing or competing) but I don't see a good reason to get rid of it. If hygiene is an issue then institute a rule where competitors must wash and dry their feet before each solve. This is not unreasonable.
If you're solving with hands then you aren't going to grab your cube after eating a slice of pizza and a bag of cheetos right?
A lot of people have put in a ton of work to be good at this event, and it is certainly not boring!
I wonder if there are any feet solvers who do it because they are otherwise disabled? (Amputees or have mobility issues in their upper appendages)

White KB

Premium Member
WCA
2019BRUC01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Solving with feet is definitely not an event that I am interested in (Viewing or competing) but I don't see a good reason to get rid of it. If hygiene is an issue then institute a rule where competitors must wash and dry their feet before each solve. This is not unreasonable.
If you're solving with hands then you aren't going to grab your cube after eating a slice of pizza and a bag of cheetos right?
A lot of people have put in a ton of work to be good at this event, and it is certainly not boring!
I wonder if there are any feet solvers who do it because they are otherwise disabled? (Amputees or have mobility issues in their upper appendages)
Well, I would compete if it came to my locale, but it would be a good thing to institute some rules for sanitary reasons. That's what I say, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.