• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 Feet as an event

Should feet stay an event?

• Yes

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • Yes, but it should be an ao5 format

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • No

Votes: 30 28.6%

• Total voters

James Snowden

I suppose that feet may become more popular if companies produced a cube better for feet solving than what we have already. This has been seen with the qiyi Sq1 and probably will be the same with their clock. I think that it really depends on whether or not companies see feet as a potential market. If cubes ideal for feet are made, then feet will most likely become much more popular, and if this does happen, people probably wouldn't see the event as pointless.

DhruvA

WCA
2015AROR05
I suppose that feet may become more popular if companies produced a cube better for feet solving than what we have already. This has been seen with the qiyi Sq1 and probably will be the same with their clock. I think that it really depends on whether or not companies see feet as a potential market. If cubes ideal for feet are made, then feet will most likely become much more popular, and if this does happen, people probably wouldn't see the event as pointless.

The thing is its similar to OH.

The valk was mainly a 2h cube whereas I have seen people (including myself) using it for oh.

The qiyi big sail was not made for feet solving but the bigger size helped people.

Cubes specifically wont be made for feet but they indirectly would have potential to be a reliable cube.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@Kit Clement

Do you think a poll like this might change the format of feet to an ao5. As of right now, the second option has gotten more than 50% of vote.

Highly doubt it. This thread represents a VERY small portion of the cubing community. Plus, a thread with a title like this likely attracts those who do feet, meaning the results are somewhat skewed. It would be like deciding the president of the United States by surveying 0.1% of the population of Wyoming at a Democrat convention (although on a much greater scale, of course). :p

Basically, skewed results and very small percentage of voters =/= popular opinion.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Highly doubt it. This thread represents a VERY small portion of the cubing community. Plus, a thread with a title like this likely attracts those who do feet, meaning the results are somewhat skewed. It would be like deciding the president of the United States by surveying 0.1% of the population of Wyoming at a Democrat convention (although on a much greater scale, of course). :p

Basically, skewed results and very small percentage of voters =/= popular opinion.

It won't result directly in change, but if it's suggested then the question can be asked in a way that may result in change. You don't need consensus of a majority of cubers to approve a competition.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It won't result directly in change, but if it's suggested then the question can be asked in a way that may result in change. You don't need consensus of a majority of cubers to approve a competition.

Good point.

In the end, it really comes down to the WCA board. Seeing how events have been changed/added in the past, I think they'd need a lot more than a single Speedsolving poll to overhaul an event, especially when the poll is not even completely decisive like this one (if it were 90%+ for an average of 5 format after surveying a decent amount of people, then I'd understand). It could definitely help further the case, but I doubt it'd be the deciding factor.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Can you specify the size and type?
I used a Qiyi big sail (68mm) and 48 5mm x 2mm n52 neodymium magnets. I bought 100 magnets, and if you like I will sell you the remaining 52 for $3 plus shipping. The corners and edges have identical caps, and I was able to center the first magnet between the mold marks on one of the caps, and place the rest of the magnets by lining up a corner and edge, putting a drop of superglue roughly where I wanted the magnet, and dropping the next magnet on. Occasionally I had to quickly readjust a magnet, and bear in mind that even though the corner and edge caps are interchangeable the polarity of the magnets must be opposite, so they are not interchangeable once magnetized. Also be careful not to use too much superglue: you can glue the pieces together. I also restickered mine, so it has better contrast down by the floor: https://thecubicle.us/stickers_share.php?public_id=92180

EntireTV

Good point.

In the end, it really comes down to the WCA board. Seeing how events have been changed/added in the past, I think they'd need a lot more than a single Speedsolving poll to overhaul an event, especially when the poll is not even completely decisive like this one (if it were 90%+ for an average of 5 format after surveying a decent amount of people, then I'd understand). It could definitely help further the case, but I doubt it'd be the deciding factor.

Yes, and we don't want to be like the people who created a change.org petition for Kilominx and see it completely fail.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have seen people debate if they want feet as an event or not and I have seen different opinions recently. I decided to make a poll to see what the majority thinks.

Personally, I think feet is an awesome event. There is something about it that is different from other two or even one handed events. It gives a new challenge to competitors.

Also it is the only event that I have a good ranking in.

Please feel free to post your views here.
It could be replaced by a more popular event, kilominx. (I'm only saying that because I can't figure out how to turn it with my feet, it keeps locking up.