• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3D Printing: Gans 356 Air

QuangNguyen

Hi guys, I've recently mimic a Gans 356 Air on a CAD software (Solidworks). I want to ask if it is okay if I 3d printing it without getting trouble, such as violating copyright law and so on. If not then, which 3d printer you guys recommend?

P/S: I have spent +40 hours for this project (it is for a class), and I feel like my design is almost the same as the original cube. I am really exciting to have a hands-on experience, I can upload a video if it is allowed and you guys want.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm no legal expert, but as far as I'm aware, no law is stopping you from 3D printing items that are patented, unless you try to sell them and pass them off as your own (and even then it's still probably legal, especially if it's not the same exact cube as a Gan356 Air). It sounds like you're just trying to print one for personal use, so I wouldn't worry about it. I don't know anything about 3D printers, so I can't recommend a specific type to you, but I'm sure others on the forum have experience with that.

WCA
2015ALEK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You will also have to buy metallic parts, I am not sure if they can be printed. If you have a lot of money, you can buy 3d-printer, but I think it is much better(because you will need to use it only one time) to order the details from special companies that have 3d-printer. You just send them 3d-models, pay them money and they print it.
Examples:
shapeways.com
makexyz.com
you3dit.com
There are a lot of them.
I dont know much about the law, but if it is legal, it will be awesome if you make a video.

js5752

I think if you want good results you'll need to go with a resin based printer vs the typical filament style. They tend to be more accurate with less banding between the layers from what I've seen. The downside is that they are a bit pricier to get into, so if you're doing this on your own, I hope you've got a few grand burning a hole in your pocket.

QuangNguyen

After looking through the prices for 3d printing, I decided just to do cheap one at my school's library. I know it wo't be as good because they will use PLA plastic and outdated 3d printer. But it is alright, I will just print one for the sake of my first model.

I_<3_SCS

ANYTHING FOR EDUCATION IS OKAY. HOWEVER I HAVE ALREADY PRINTED A CUBE AND THE MAIN DIFFICULTIES ARE THE PRINTED LAYERS MAKE THE TURNING TERRIBLE. UNLESS YOU HAVE A REALLY TUNED PRINTER, EXPECT TO PRINT SEVERAL TIMES UNTIL YOU GET THE TOLERANCES RIGHT!!!!!! (also print in abs rather than pla (it's smoother))

Ur welcome
Xoxo

I_<3_SCS

The 3D printers I use are the printrbot, series 1, and up mini 2. Ooh... also I have access to a form labs 2, but those are p expensive!!!!!!!

EntireTV

Simply printing anything (like DG said) for personal use doesn't affect gan in any way. So you are fine

QuangNguyen

Hi guys, sorry for making you guys wait. I finally printed my model, I printed it cheap so it is very rough. It is functional and it can cut decently. I am happy with my mimic design haha. I will do a video later, what do you guys think

Attachments

• RUBIKinsta.jpg
    RUBIKinsta.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 83

QuangNguyen

Looks cool! Do you plan on maybe sanding it down lightly? (That is if you plan to sticker it) ;)
I tried to sand it the inside, it is too much work(so maybe not outside lol). The model is not well printed and I messed up on the thickness of each cubies(it is a bit thin, making the cube feels easy to break). I am planning to keep it non-sticker just cuz I don't think it looks like normal cube when I put stickers in.

P/s: the inside of the edge has some bumps, I can sand that down, for some major roughness I just leave it there and break in the cube hoping it will be gone. Sorry for my english, english is my second language.

Attachments

• edgeinside.jpg
    edgeinside.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 53

Zerksies

If your not selling the thing and calling it your own. You will not get in trouble. But you can take the design tweak it a little and then call it your own

QuangNguyen

Amazing! Any chance you can PM me the STLs? I have a high quality printer :) I'll post pics of my print if you give me the stl.
Maybe not, I don't think Gans would want me to publish it, I haven't heard back from them. My design is far worse than the real cube but still, sorry dude.
I might want to ask this person to join my S-0 team for the tempest...
What kind of team is that

Riley M

WCA
2017MADD03
for future reference to anyone wanting to recreate this...If you go to the Cincinnati library, there are free to use 3D printers and whatever you print is 10 cents per gram so it probably. won't cost more than $10. Also, if you're looking to spend more money they do have a resin printer. also also if there is a misprint, you don't have to pay. Also also also there are computers for you to tweak your designs.

WCA
2017WARR04
YouTube
Visit Channel
for future reference to anyone wanting to recreate this...If you go to the Cincinnati library, there are free to use 3D printers and whatever you print is 10 cents per gram so it probably. won't cost more than $10. Also, if you're looking to spend more money they do have a resin printer. also also if there is a misprint, you don't have to pay. Also also also there are computers for you to tweak your designs.
Yes, except for me Cincinnati is 15,000 kilometers away.:D

I_<3_SCS

Maybe not, I don't think Gans would want me to publish it, I haven't heard back from them. My design is far worse than the real cube but still, sorry dude.

What kind of team is that

Hi. I don't want to make you do anything you're not comfortable with, but this is for educational purposes (I won't print this to sell lol). Thus, it doesn't matter what you do with it as long as you don't make money from it. When you hear back, I hope you can PM the files to me. :)