• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3bld transition

is it ok to learn the 3-style after m2/op?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Horhe

Is it okay to switch early from m2/op to 3style? Because you know, just like in switching from 1 color solver to color neutrality it is advisable to switch earlier. So my question is is it advisable to switch to 3 style early?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
You can really think of M2 as just a subset of 3style. So it's a perfectly good stepping stone. OP is not as good, but still technically similar - you still need to twist corners even when you switch to 3style.

The one thing that would really help with the switch, though, is that you pick buffers for M2/OP that will be good to be your default buffers for 3style, so you don't have to relearn anything you already learned for M2/OP.

Horhe

You can really think of M2 as just a subset of 3style. So it's a perfectly good stepping stone. OP is not as good, but still technically similar - you still need to twist corners even when you switch to 3style.

The one thing that would really help with the switch, though, is that you pick buffers for M2/OP that will be good to be your default buffers for 3style, so you don't have to relearn anything you already learned for M2/OP.

The buffer at m2 is DF, the buffer of op is UBR, is there no fix buffer for 3style?

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The buffer at m2 is DF, the buffer of op is UBR, is there no fix buffer for 3style?

Theoretically, you can use any buffer for 3-style, but some are superior. UBR is a good buffer for corners, but DF may not be ideal for edges. Many fast BLD solvers use DF but I think UB and UF are better. It is difficult to switch buffers but it will pay off in the long run.

Horhe

Theoretically, you can use any buffer for 3-style, but some are superior. UBR is a good buffer for corners, but DF may not be ideal for edges. Many fast BLD solvers use DF but I think UB and UF are better. It is difficult to switch buffers but it will pay off in the long run.

I want to switch to 3 style, but i can't get it :( any tips?

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much better exactly would a good buffer be to DF and UBL (if you can answer) I want to be serious in BLD but I don't particularly want to switch. Maybe if you could give me an example time difference or something?
It's getting me a little worried because in my case I don't know if it's worth it.

h2f

Premium Member
WCA
2014PACE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How much better exactly would a good buffer be to DF and UBL (if you can answer) I want to be serious in BLD but I don't particularly want to switch. Maybe if you could give me an example time difference or something?
It's getting me a little worried because in my case I don't know if it's worth it.

Maybe this will help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RQWcuEd4pWL7egwQ00zuJDzYCKzQC6hlAdz0DH4jwWk/edit?usp=sharing

Buffers are the matter of controversary. For me the best recomendation to switch is Daniel Lin's opinion who recently switched to UF/UFR. But on the other hand the table shows it's not as important as one may think to get good times. In my case - I dont want to switch. I'm never gonna be as fast as top blinders and DF/UBL is enough to me to get times I want (sub40).

Last edited:

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I want to switch to 3 style, but i can't get it :( any tips?

http://bestsiteever.ru/tables/

This is a great website full of commutators for the most popular buffers. I would suggest learning corners first, and spend a while using 3-style for corners and M2 for edges. You can continue solving corners using OP with some 3-style. For example, if you first learn all comms with an A, then use a comm if your letter pair has A, otherwise just use OP. Gradually you will learn more comms and switch to more and more 3-style each solve.

Horhe

After a weeks, i finally manage to understand 3 style at corners. I'll stick to m2 for edges then after i master the corners, ill switch to pure 3 style. Thanks guys