• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2x2 EG (Erik-Gunnar) Method

Zarxrax

To understand EG, you first need to understand Ortega and CLL. Because EG is to ortega what CLL is to layer-by-layer or beginners method.

You have 3 possible cases for the bottom layer: solved, a bar on one side, or no bar.
If the bottom layer is solved, you just do a normal CLL case to solve the top.
If you have a bar on the bottom layer, then you have another set of algs that are very similar to CLL. In fact, the recognition for the top layer is EXACTLY THE SAME as the normal CLL algs, but this set of algs also solves the bottom layer when you have a bar there.
Then finally, you have yet another set of algs which is once again practically the same, only they are used when there is nothing on the bottom layer.

If you can recognize CLL, then you can recognize any EG case.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
what's with the alots in peoples pics now?

take a look at the "I will make your avatar :D" thread

that's just my opinion...

And when you didn't even know how EG worked yesterday, where do you get the idea that you know enough to make opinions of what is faster than anything else?

sorry, don't mean to be too rude to the new guy or anything, just saying, it is probably better to not make statements like "this is faster than that"

Hexi

YouTube
Visit Channel
Cuz I can do guimond and it's 3-look method I think. And when CLL is only 1-2 look i think it's faster, because the "looks" take the most time.

Last edited:

jack3256

More efficient way to learn full EG

Hey do younguys think it would be a good idea for me to learn all 3 algs for each 2x2 recognition at the same time? (CLL, EG-1 and EG-2). I was thinking I could just learn the algs t the same time except just apply whichever one came up, I plan to learn full EG at some point anyway so do you 2x2 guys out there think this is a good idea?

Kirjava

Colourful
WCA
2006BARL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
it would take a lot longer to be useful this way.

if you learned eg-1 first, you can start using a system better than ortega after 42 algs. if you learned it this way you'd have to learn the whole thing before you could really start to get to grips with doing non ortega solves all the time.

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
Whether its a good idea or not, there is no more or less "efficient" way to learn a set of algs. It's the same number of algs regardless. It's just a question of how long it takes for it to become useful.

jack3256

it would take a lot longer to be useful this way.

if you learned eg-1 first, you can start using a system better than ortega after 42 algs. if you learned it this way you'd have to learn the whole thing before you could really start to get to grips with doing non ortega solves all the time.
So EG-1 pre CLL? Because normally in my Ortega solves a J perm bottom layer is fastest.