• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2 look discussion - OLL and PLL

Calvin Laza

I'm becoming pretty proficient with the intuitive F2L pairing process, but when it comes to finishing the cube the only way I can do it is by using a beginner method where you permute then orient the corners last.

So, I started to learn the 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. Visited a bunch of tutorial sites and watched a bunch of videos. OLL makes perfect sense to me, but 2-look PLL doesn't.

My question is what happens when I have a PLL situation where I must only permute 2 corners? None of the 6 algorithms give me that option, at a minimum I must permute 3 corners.

The 2-look PLL method appears to only include a-perm (3 corners) and e-perm (4 corners). The other 4 algorithms are for edges only.

danthecuber

WCA
2011SELZ01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm becoming pretty proficient with the intuitive F2L pairing process, but when it comes to finishing the cube the only way I can do it is by using a beginner method where you permute then orient the corners last.

So, I started to learn the 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. Visited a bunch of tutorial sites and watched a bunch of videos. OLL makes perfect sense to me, but 2-look PLL doesn't.

My question is what happens when I have a PLL situation where I must only permute 2 corners? None of the 6 algorithms give me that option, at a minimum I must permute 3 corners.

The 2-look PLL method appears to only include a-perm (3 corners) and e-perm (4 corners). The other 4 algorithms are for edges only.

http://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/2-Look_PLL

You will never need to permute two corners in the 2-look PLL. Both of those algoritms do the trick for the for all of the cases you will get.

Last edited:

hic2482w

WCA
2011NGUY03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Learn T-Perm and Y-Perm. Its really easy! Use T-perm when you can match up 2 corners (in the right place) then put those on the left side. Use Y-Perm when you can only match up one corner (and put that on the bottom left). Its easy to learn as T-Perm basically uses 2 algs, the first then the second, then y perm uses the same 2 algs, its just the 2nd then the 1st.

Jukuren

WCA
2011NANS01
YouTube
Visit Channel

there is no 2 corner perm... it may appear to be because the edges are not permuted so you have no reference point but what you are seeing is actually a 3 corner cycle. take an A perm and execute it on a solved cube, align the permuted edges and take a look at the corners. Now if we had no edge reference you will see that two of the corners you would prolly think are permuted but they are in fact not. so how do you know to use Aa or Ab in a solve? you dont with 2 look and it doesn't really matter...

uberCuber

WCA
2011THOM01
If you have a bar on the corners (2 stickers of the same color on one side), then put that bar in the back and do the x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2 A perm. If you do not have a bar on the corners, then do E/V/Y perm to do an opposite swap.

BillyRain

Premium Member
WCA
2012JEFF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 2-look PLL help?

Hi there!!

I took some of your advice and learnt 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL. I was just learning how to apply 2-look PLL from badmephisto's video.

I understand all of what he taught me, but then I ran into a J perm. I could not then make sense of what he was saying to solve.. I obviously found two headlights (complete with centre edge too) but I cant do the corner cycle or it would mess it up.. What is the 2-look PLL procedure for a J perm?? Thanks!!

miniGOINGS

The 2 look procedure would to just solve the corners not worrying about the edges, and then solve the edges (or edges then corners). If you want to use full PLL, you would use the algorithm that does the correct J perm.

maggot

Lol... to simplify things.... for a jperm...

Put solved edge in the back of the cube. Perform clockwise A perm. Put solved edge is back of cube. Perform clockwise u perm ...
So, x R' U R' D2 R U' R' D2 R2.... U.... R2 U R U R' U' R' U' R' U R'... solves a j perm.

The basic sense is that you solve the 2 messed up corners. Sometimes you get 2 corners diagonally messed up, sometimes you get adjacent corners messed up... line up a corner in its solved position, and then look at the other 3 corners. They will be opposite, adjacent, or a 3 cycle. An a perm is a 3 cycle, but it also fixes adjacent corner swap. Diagonal swap use Y permutation. Its long, but its not hard, and when you learn it, you learn 2 more OLL cases! Hahah isn't that awesome? To fix the edges is really simple... can only be h, z, or one of the 2 u perms... just figure out how to recognize it.. its really easy.

Another solution is to learn a j perm... its one of the easiest and fastest plls.. if you learn j perm, you can learn the L perm, the other j perm... you can do a j perm with your left hand instead of your right, mirroring the alg, and it does the other j perm... j perm is very similar to a t perm, which is also very fast and fingertricky alg...

Last edited:

BillyRain

Premium Member
WCA
2012JEFF01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think all in all 2-look LL is a really good motivation to learn Full OLL/PLL.. you run into a problem and then just think... sod it i might as well just learn the perm!! :)

I am having fun with 2-look now!! I am averaging my original time with beginners LL, which is really good as it means I will only get faster over the next few days as my 2-look improves :) Exciting stuff. Thanks for the help!!

crashdummy001

Banned
2 look PLL procedure:

1. Are all corners solved relative to each other? If so, skip to step 4.
2. Are two same-color corner stickers on the same face? If so, put them on the left, perform a T-perm, and skip to step 4.
3. If not, perform a Y-perm (on any side).
4. Turn the U face until all corners are solved.
5. How many edges are out of place? If zero, skip to step 9.
6. If three, then do the appropriate U-perm, and skip to step 9.
7. Looking at any one edge, is it the opposite color of what it should be? If so, do an H-perm and skip to step 9.
8. If not, turn your cube to the correct orientation and perform a Z-perm.
9. Drop your cube, stop the Stackmat, look at your time, scream "OMFG, A NEW PB!! I LOVE YOU, CRASHDUMMY001!", and upload a video.