• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

2-gen reduction algorithm count?

Teoidus

I could've sworn there was a statistics thread, but I can't seem to find it...

How many cases are needed to perform full reduction to 2-gen after 2x2x3 + 1 F2L Pair, leaving a 2-gen LSLL?

i.e. how many cases are needed to solve CP + EO + FD edge?

Here's what I have so far:

If we fix the FD edge at UF, there are 2^6/2 unique EO cases, and only 2 types of swaps are needed to reduce corners to 2-gen group. Yielding 64 algorithms?

Last edited:

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I could've sworn there was a statistics thread, but I can't seem to find it...

How many cases are needed to perform full reduction to 2-gen after 2x2x3 + 1 F2L Pair, leaving a 2-gen LSLL?

i.e. how many cases are needed to solve CP + EO + FD edge?

Here's what I have so far:

If we fix the FD edge at UF, there are 2^6/2 unique EO cases, and only 2 types of swaps are needed to reduce corners to 2-gen group. Yielding 64 algorithms?

Do you mean fixing the FR edge? FD should be solved if you have a 2x2x3

Teoidus

Sorry, I should specify that the 2x2x3 is in BD (so all unsolved pieces are facing you)

gyroninja

Where are you getting those figures?
They are common values. For eo (2^4)/2. Cp is a little more confusing to explain pre last layer. Take a look on Jaap's website for a good understanding on cp. Another way to look at it is that you can insert the corner 2gen (preserve cp) and the last layer cp wise can only be 1 of 6 cases (solved, adj front, adj right, adj back, adj left, and diag)

Teoidus

You might've misread the OP--FD is not solved to begin with, so EO shouldn't be 2^4/2 (6 edges to work with, not 5).

I've looked at jaap's website but I can't quite understand it yet. I think I get where you're getting 1/6 but I keep seeing CP methods like Briggs or Noah's CP blocks where they only use 2 algorithms to do 2-gen corner permutation. Do you happen to know how this works?

gyroninja

You might've misread the OP--FD is not solved to begin with, so EO shouldn't be 2^4/2 (6 edges to work with, not 5).

I've looked at jaap's website but I can't quite understand it yet. I think I get where you're getting 1/6 but I keep seeing CP methods like Briggs or Noah's CP blocks where they only use 2 algorithms to do 2-gen corner permutation. Do you happen to know how this works?
Yeah I thought you meant FR since FD would give worse algs. The three algs are nothing, fix adj swap, fix diag swap.

Teoidus

Could you explain why only one algorithm is needed to fix adj swap, yet there are 4 adj swap possibilities for LL?

gyroninja

Rotational symmetry. You can solve a T perm with only one alg. You can auf T perm to be an adj swap on any side.

Edit: The figure I gave with the corrected eo value would be an upper bound.