¿Retooled black MF8 Megaminx? (pictures)

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Rodrigo Piaggio, Sep 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Rodrigo Piaggio

Rodrigo Piaggio Premium Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    WCA:
    2009BERM01
    YouTube:
    chapud2
    Hello, a couple of days ago i got my black MF8 minx from C4Y. They where out of stock for months. When i turn the puzzle the layers have a general smooth and fast feel (unlubed) better than the white one i have from rubikfans. Well, finally i can put together my Gigaminx and now i can concentrate in the MF8 minx. I took it apart and saw differences with my old white one:

First the tiles are more thin and the colours more "faded".

[​IMG]

The center caps are different now:

[​IMG]

The edges have different shape also:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The same thing with the corners:

[​IMG]

And finally the core are now kind of transparent:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone has noticed this changes in mechanism? for now i cannot compare the performance of both since i have not ajusted and lubed the black "new" one, but certainly is better out of the box than the white "old" one.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. 4Chan

4Chan Premium Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Lumbridge
    YouTube:
    boxxybabee
    The new one has similar corners and edges to the PVC, which ive heard is similar to the mefferts....

By no means am I a minx expert, but thats my opinion.

Nice find!~

3. Finally the corners are a bit stronger.

4. Radu

Radu Premium Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Bucharest, Romania
    WCA:
    2009FACI01
    YouTube:
    speedcubingro
    Interesting. A new order is one the way. :)

5. Rodrigo Piaggio

Rodrigo Piaggio Premium Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Santiago, Chile
    WCA:
    2009BERM01
    YouTube:
    chapud2
    Yesterday i complete unassenbly the black mf8, clean, adjust tension and lube. Wow this puzzle is amazing: incredible fast, smooth, can cut corners insanely. Lock ups a bit but much less than the white one. 3 or 4 solves without a single pop. Great!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  6. MichaelErskine

MichaelErskine Premium Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Sherwood, Nottingham, UK
    WCA:
    2008ERSK01
    YouTube:
    msemtd
    Great pictures -- my amazing exploding white MF8 (palmed off by Meffert's for $28 as one of their own <grrrr!>) is the same as yours and those corners on the black "re-tooled" sure look a lot better: as an earlier poster mentioned, more like the PVC pieces. I shall be ordering one to add to my growing Minx collection!

7. V-te

V-te Member

May 10, 2009
    Bakersfield
    YouTube:
    TheVte
    Bump. I'm looking far one of these but white, on ebay. Can anyone please give me a link? I do not have a megaminx right now and would really like this one. (retooled)