• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Frequently Asked Questions - READ BEFORE POSTING

JL58

Back to the intent of the thread, I would rather have an open forum, welcoming new members, accepting the need for redundant information.
I am afraid that asking for inquirer to rely on single sources of information might remove this forum from most of its relevance. Indeed, most about cubing and speed cubing has been already said at least once. Going for a strict discipline about opening threads: wouldn't this mean that the only new threads will only be completely outside of the cube world or only reserved for the very elitist cubers (sub 12 or so) or for the theory masters (Lucas, Stephan, Mark to just name a few)?

I actually enjoy the freshness of this forum: people feel comfortable to ask questions on top of their mind and they (mostly) friendly answers. Too many threads for an informational forum? Probably. For a community that wants to grow and be recognized/acknowledged? Not at all. I can point you to a few very obscure forums where the lack of knowledge on the showcase subject matter is as welcome as cholera. These forums are typically shared by less than a dozen obnoxious weirdos. Everyone else felt rejected and left.

I find the balance of this forum just great. Some structure but nothing out of the ordinary. It is mostly self regulated and works very well for my taste.

Akuma

WCA
2010COST01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Things that might need to be added to the FAQ:

* How do I solve the 2x2x2? Method(s)?
* How do I solve the 4x4x4? Method(s)?
*Where can I learn how to solve One-Handed (links to guides)

A good idea is also linking to sites that have all the OLLs and PLLs.

stinkocheeze

We could extend this A LOT:
Sections like:
Lube
Methods
Abbreviations
Cube stores (is lightake safe?)

Hiero

WCA
2010MAND01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread seems kind of pointless since we already have stickies for things like this. People just don't use them. Why worry about it so much? If you don't want to talk about which cube is the best this week, then don't click on that thread. I think flaming people is much more annoying then making another which cube is best thread.

Andrew Ricci

Anonymity is for Nubs
WCA
2010RICC02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread seems kind of pointless since we already have stickies for things like this. People just don't use them. Why worry about it so much? If you don't want to talk about which cube is the best this week, then don't click on that thread. I think flaming people is much more annoying then making another which cube is best thread.

No. We are sick of these threads. If someone creates a "Wich cube is teh bestest???!!!LOL!!!eleven" then they deserve to get flamed. All stickies that inform new members should be read. Period.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Why worry about it so much? If you don't want to talk about which cube is the best this week, then don't click on that thread. I think flaming people is much more annoying then making another which cube is best thread.

By answering simple some simple questions asked by users, the users can get up to speed with many things about cubing and this forum in general. When we get more people 'up to speed', we can have more people starting and engaging in higher level conversations, eventually expanding the knowledge of the average cuber.

Also to hopefully reduce the amount of people with attitudes similar to that which is displayed in theanonymouscuber's above reply. i.e. the 'lol newbs' attitude. By having this thread, we can prevent some threads that people create asking for help in a 'noobish' manor. By them knowing the answers to their questions, they will have more experience lurking the forum, getting an understanding of how it works and what is acceptable before creating a new thread or even posting much.

PatrickJameson

Premium Member
WCA
2007JAME01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Maybe add:

Where can I find official records?

All official competition results are recorded by the WCA (World Cube Association) and can be found on http://www.worldcubeassociation.org. All upcoming competitions are listed there as well.

See, we don't want to spam up the thread with things people don't actually make threads about. I don't recall anyone making a thread asking about this in a long while(and by that I mean, I can't recall any). I added "I want to go to a competition. How do I know when there's going to be one near me?", however, which is very similar, just changing the question a bit.

Last edited:

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm going to start just sending people here in the closing posts of 90% of the threads that need to be closed.

Write up a "What should I do about this store cheating me? :(" with an answer of something like "talk to them. We're not [store]."

Adam Karlson

I have a question ( i don't really know if it belongs here, but I'll shoot... I couldn't find it anywhere online)

- Concerning cubing Averages .. what could be considered fast , slow or intermediate ( e.g. sub-20 is considered is speedsolving for 3x3 , what's for 2x2... etc)?
- can somebody make a comprehensive list or provide a link ?

E.g. in 2x2 :

12+ secs : very slow .. learn Ortega

10-12 secs: Practice PBL prediction

8-10 secs: Learn SS tricks / CLL algs

something like that.... If anyone could help!