• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Meyer Thread (4x4 Reduction Sub-Method)

tukra

What do you think about making the RF pair before finishing centers and then moving it to UL before pairing? It's easiest to make then and then you know right where it is when it time to finish SB.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What do you think about making the RF pair before finishing centers and then moving it to UL before pairing? It's easiest to make then and then you know right where it is when it time to finish SB.

I prefer making just the DR edge and placing it at UL. I pair edges on the E slice, and if I made the pair, I would have topreserve it which is a pain.

tukra

I prefer making just the DR edge and placing it at UL. I pair edges on the E slice, and if I made the pair, I would have topreserve it which is a pain.

Oh sorry, I meant as an extension of shadowslice variant. So you have both blocks complete except for RFD before doing M centers. Then move RF to UL, assuming pairing on M. Then when pairing is done you know right where RF is to finish SB. I'm wondering if people think this is efficient or not compared to regular shadowslice.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Oh sorry, I meant as an extension of shadowslice variant. So you have both blocks complete except for RFD before doing M centers. Then move RF to UL, assuming pairing on M. Then when pairing is done you know right where RF is to finish SB. I'm wondering if people think this is efficient or not compared to regular shadowslice.

TBH, as far as I'm aware you can pair any edge and it will be just as efficient. All that really matters is personal preference so if you want to easily be able to track the piece it probably is best to leave it in UL where you can easily see it.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
Do you make that first non-block pair before or after centers? Is there a significant advantage vs the other way?

Not entirely sure what you mean but I when I use my method I do:
1) F2C
2) FB (normally F3P+ blockbuilding with corners- I form the pairs using the m-slice usually)
2) partial SB (3 pairs, insert 2 with a corner, one without, the one without doesn't actually have to be part of the SB)
3) Centres
4) move the 6th pair to RU
5) 3-3 edge pairing
6) 3x3x3 (form last CE pair+insert, CMLL, LSE)

This is my general solving order but there is some overlap in how I do things and I will sometimes blend steps as well.

tukra

That answers my question. Making the 6th pair before finishing centers, instead of centers then 1-3-3. Thanks.

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel

Do you use Roux for 3x3 and want to get into 4x4? Are you tired of CFOPers telling you that you'll never be good at big cubes? If yes, then look no further! The Meyer method is a Yau variation for Roux users! The steps are almost the exact same as the Yau method: first 2 centers, then instead of first 3 cross edges, you do first block, then L4C, L8E, and 3x3 stage to finish! With the Meyer method, you can expect to get times as fast as top Yau users!

1. Rw D' L2 F' U' R2 L' F2 B2 R' B2 F2 Fw' D2 B2 R U' R2 Fw R2 B2 D' U F2 R' Uw' U Fw' L' B2 Fw' L2 R' F' Rw2 B' Fw L' D' B

2. U2 Uw R2 U Uw2 L' U2 L' Rw2 U F2 B U2 Rw' L' D' Rw2 U' Fw' U2 Rw D R' U D' Fw F Uw2 L2 Uw2 U2 D2 Fw' L2 D2 L' Rw2 D L2 R2

3. Uw' R L2 D2 Rw' U B2 Rw U2 Rw' D2 Fw D B L2 U2 L' R2 B2 Fw' Uw2 F2 R' Rw2 F L2 Uw2 Fw U B2 L B U' F2 U2 B2 Fw' Rw B F'

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu-inpLd4AM

Do you use Roux for 3x3 and want to get into 4x4? Are you tired of CFOPers telling you that you'll never be good at big cubes? If yes, then look no further! The Meyer method is a Yau variation for Roux users! The steps are almost the exact same as the Yau method: first 2 centers, then instead of first 3 cross edges, you do first block, then L4C, L8E, and 3x3 stage to finish! With the Meyer method, you can expect to get times as fast as top Yau users!

1. Rw D' L2 F' U' R2 L' F2 B2 R' B2 F2 Fw' D2 B2 R U' R2 Fw R2 B2 D' U F2 R' Uw' U Fw' L' B2 Fw' L2 R' F' Rw2 B' Fw L' D' B

2. U2 Uw R2 U Uw2 L' U2 L' Rw2 U F2 B U2 Rw' L' D' Rw2 U' Fw' U2 Rw D R' U D' Fw F Uw2 L2 Uw2 U2 D2 Fw' L2 D2 L' Rw2 D L2 R2

3. Uw' R L2 D2 Rw' U B2 Rw U2 Rw' D2 Fw D B L2 U2 L' R2 B2 Fw' Uw2 F2 R' Rw2 F L2 Uw2 Fw U B2 L B U' F2 U2 B2 Fw' Rw B F'

Actually, I believe Meyer was proposed first in around 2008 while Yau was sometime later (idk the exact year)